Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage - thank you all, lurkers and posters!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    2014 Dakar Rally Stage 1 Robby Gordon Quotes

"I don't know what's going on. We drove it 1,000km down the highway, no problems during testing, but from the moment we started the special, we had vapor lock problems and we had to stop. Then, all the other fluids started to overheat, so we had to stop at least five or six times... At the end, we had stopped for the umpteenth time when competitor no. 390 hooked us up big time and offered to tow us to the end of the special."

"Honestly, it's strange,The car is running fine now, and I'm going to drive it away,but I don't know why this happened. It's weird. We'll have a look at it in the bivouac, although it's disappointing to lose two or three hours on the very first day of racing"

http://www.planetrobby.com/forum/topics/2014-dakar-rally-robby-gordon-stage-1-quotes
  2. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:

Video of the day for stage 1!:clap
  3. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    ahh fer fooksake :bluduh
  4. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tell you what, this slow clap things REALLY works well! :thumb

Come on Fimp - you can do it !!!!

:clap

:clap :clap

:clap :clap :clap

:clap :clap

:clap

It worries me that he appears in Misca's tracker but not in the Dakar Posis though. I hope they let him start Stage 2.

If this does happen, I think it will be the first time since I can remember that every rider survived day 1. :freaky
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to build him a 450 GS? :evil
  6. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    ITALIAN CARLO SEMINARA #156

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f6d8RlzC-yM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A secret source informs me....

Sam's back brake failed him (like it did in Morocco)
    This caused a crash early in the stage
    He got a bit banged up
    His bars bent
    Then he got up, after losing time, and finished in the top ten
    Unsure if he finished the stage without a rear brake

GO!!! Sam GO!!!
  8. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad Robbie is in to fight another day. Lets hope he solves that "leaking fluid" vapour lock problem we saw in the one video in the build up thread.

David Casteu
    translated:
    " I'M LEARNING TO TAME MY FACTORY MACHINE "

Sunday, January 5, 2013 - Step 1

David crossed the finish of the first stage disputed line between Rosario and San Luis at the 13th place, 5'32 '' leader Barreda . For him , learning his new KTM is on the track , not having had time to do a lot of kilometers of tests:

"It was a very tough special , very slippery , with many turns that closed , he said Sunday , just after arrival, enjoying a coffee in an Argentine bar , not far from San Luis .
    " I learned to tame my factory machine. It is completely different, I have not done any testing with , I need time to adapt ."

That is why more than 5 minutes of the first , David has made a practice run without trying to force his talent :
    "I'm happy because I thought I had done a lot worse, I lost the front and rear. Going to have make suspensions settings."

Apart from these small changes expected, David is happy to finally be in the race : " It made me feel good to ride , this is it , we left it was a public madness , people pounce on us! . This is amazing as it is adored . Shown here the importance that took the Dakar in Argentina ! "

Monday , 2nd stage between San Luis and San Rafael with the exploration of raw gray dunes .

« J'APPRENDS À DOMPTER MA MACHINE D'USINE »

Dimanche 05 Janvier 2013 – Etape 1

David a franchi la ligne d'arrivée de la première étape disputée entre Rosario et San Luis à la 13e place, à 5'32'' du leader Barreda. Pour lui, l'apprentissage de sa nouvelle KTM se fait sur la piste, n'ayant pas eu le temps de faire beaucoup de kilomètres de tests :
    "Ce fut une spéciale très difficile, très glissante, comportant beaucoup de virages qui se refermaient, raconte-t-il, dimanche, juste après l'arrivée, en dégustant un café dans un bar argentin, non loin de San Luis.
    "J'apprends à dompter ma machine d'usine. Elle est complètement différente, je n'ai pas fait de tests avec, il me faut un temps d'adaptation".

C'est pourquoi, à plus de 5 minutes des premiers, David a effectué une mise en jambes sans vouloir forcer son talent :
    "Je ne suis pas mécontent car je pensais avoir fait beaucoup moins bien, je perdais l'avant puis l'arrière. Il va falloir effectuer des réglages suspensions".

Hormis ces petites modifications à prévoir, David est heureux d'être enfin dans la course : "Ca m'a fait du bien de rouler, ça y est, on est partis ! Il avait un public de folie, les gens se jettent sur nous. C'est hallucinant comme on est adulés. On voit ici l'importance qu'a pris le Dakar en Argentine !"

Ce lundi, 2e étape entre San Luis et San Rafael avec l'exploration des premières dunes grises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm I wonder if the same problem happened to Bang bang. :ear

We wont tell anyone. :wink:
  10. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    I recall at some point today, reading an HRC rider quote that mentioned making a mistake by not using the correct brake setting.

What could that possibly be?

Edit: Found it.

<DT>Sam Sunderland, SS1 9th +04'33 :<DD>"We've finished the first day. A very long special that for us started when we had to get up at 3.00 a.m. More than 800 kilometers and a long liaison too. It was a really intense ride throughout the special. I made a minor error at the beginning and maybe because I changed the settings that punished the rear brake excessively. But in spite of everything, it hasn't been that bad a stage."

</DD>
  11. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    0105 Dakar: Motorbikes

<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/0105-dakar-motorbikes-231018127.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>
  12. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    + 1 :d
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    What settings are there to be had?
  14. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    I guess that is my question. Could it be something to do with the traction control sensor we saw on the rear rotor?
  15. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Escale Twins :clap:clap

[​IMG]
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:

There towing each other!!!!!!!
  17. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where should this KTM go?

[​IMG]
  18. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I would think that would be in the throttle controls....

ABS? Part of the MotoGP tech?
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Or was he being politically correct in a statement to the press....and really the brake failed :wink:
  20. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may be as simple as putting the lever in a different position so that his boot was resting on it most of the time overheating the break.
    Please don't tell me they are using linked breaks :yikes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.