The 1988-2008 Husaberg Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Crank
    if you get a 01-04 you will be "tinkering" a lot:D

did you go to the doc at uhe yet"
    some had a problem with the torque limiter ( i did) and you can use a transmission shim to get the proper release value. if you starter is cranking and then seems to free wheel that is the symptom
    you can also adjust the spring on the cam decomp

I have one of those lithsomething batteries in my 550 and it has been flawless....so far

once you get the few things sorted youll grin

ditch the stock breather. plug the forward hole and add a hose to the rear and run it up to the top of the rad and then back down the right side

i ditched the stock thermostat bs and ran sil hoses. cooled it some what

trail trick for the boingers
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:

Oh yea, the starter would free wheel at times and do weird things. I'll read the DOC tonight and get that thing shimmed correctly... good call Bob, thanks!

Got any pics of your breather set up Bob? I'm a visual guy:lol3
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple pics of my old '02 FC470.
    I bought it non-running. It had no spark so I got a used Sparks stator and CDI from a couple good guys over on www.husaberg.org and got it fired up. The engine sounded like a box 'o rocks.
    I rode it about 50 yards and parked it.

Ended up giving it to a buddy. I'm gonna help him go through it when he gets the dollars together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Question for those more in the know....

What's a fair price for a 2006 FE550E, looks mint and very low hours (54hrs).

I've been ogling one on cl and don't have anything to compare it to pricewise. Not sure if it's reasonable to compare it to an 06 525 EXC, I'd think resale on the KTM would be much more robust, but I just don't know.
  5. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    $3K
    I doubt I could get that for mine (well used but maintained) so I just keep riding it and smilling:lol3
  6. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    $3000.00 is what the PO wanted for my '05 650. I ended up trading him an excellent shape '01 XR650R and $500.00 cash.
  7. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Thanks....that's what I was afraid of. He's asking $3850 and doesn't want to come down.
  8. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I'm seeing a few 550s for sale. Not to many 650s. My 650 only reved to less than 9000 rpm. While my 525 hit 14000 rpm. The 650 made strong torque everwhere. The 525 not so much.
    So my question is: where does the 550 fall in on this curve? Is it a low rever like the 650? Or a high rever like the 525? Where does the torque start to really kick in.
    I would love to pickup another tractor pulling rig.
  9. wallache

wallache Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone else find it impossible to find neutral while the bike is running? This is my first hyro clutch bike, so I wonder if this is a Husaberg trait or just user error.
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    What kind of 525 revs to 14000 rpms? :huh

The KTM with it's long stroke engine doesn't go to 10000 either.
  11. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 650's kinda the same way. Not impossible but certainly harder than the Japanese bikes I've owned. I usually just click it into neutral as I'm rolling to a stop.
  12. jessepitt

jessepitt Ride More

Oddometer:
    The guy I got this bike from said that it was owned by Rick Boseworth of Portland OR husaberg fame. I dont know if this is true or not but it was in good shape for its age and ran fast, I never had a problem with it.
    [​IMG]
  13. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    A couple more questions about the '06 FE550E...

* Oil capacity - don't see it listed in official specs, only mentioned in the occasional oil thread at ~ 1 liter.
    Is it like the KTM RFS and all in one place, or like the newer motors and in separate transmission and crankcase volumes?

* The one, large radiator - easy to put a fan kit on? Does it tend to run hot in slow technical stuff, or does that radiator do a good job?

Battery - Is there a common upgrade similar to the KTM RFS, like swapping the Yuasa YTZ7S or YTX5L-BS battery in place of the weaker YTX4LBS. (and is there room for a bigger battery). Important if running a fan...
  14. crankshaft

Oddometer:

The rad has holes in it for a fan. Seems to run cooler than my 525 ever did. Just like the RFS bikes in the oil dept. I just upgraded to one of those new style lightweight lithium batteries.
  15. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    thank yeeew...

How about stator rewinds? I emailed Rickystator to see if they were the same unit as KTM RFS, or if they rewound 'berg stators.
    I saw the Sparks rewind thread in Husaberg Unofficial as an option as well, and floating the ground.

IF I pick up this bike, I don't plan on running tons of accessories...no heated gear, etc. Most likely an 8" racelight in reasonable wattage, and a GPS (no current draw at all practically speaking)

I just want to keep the battery charged and be able to run a fan and a decent light.
  16. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    I think Hair used a Trail Tech stator, but my memory's bad. My '05 is a Euro street legal model and has the headlight a tail light running of the AC lead, and the battery (DC) runs the horn and turn signals, works pretty good. 60watt headlight is max, with an LED tail light, at least on mine. The Trail Tech race light with a 55w bulb does pretty good.

My 650 boiled over 2 times early on, but the '06 and up had better air flow from a redesigned tank. I bought a fan kit, but overheating hasn't been a problem with the Clark tank. Also, '06 and up have a bung in the radiator for the fan's temp sending unit. If I ever install the fan, I'll put a switch on it as I think runs even after you shut off the engine.
  17. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    thanks....there's a wealth of information out there, and I'm beginning to scratch the surface of it a bit.

It's super easy to get a bike plated in CO, beyond that I'd like it to be done right with possibly a Trick dualsport kit....I emailed Dale the other day.

I see that Clarke has their 4 gallon tank on their site for $188....cheaper than my 'usual' place, JustGasTanks.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even with the discount?
    www.JustGasTanks.com 5% discount to ADVrider inmates, coupon code: Advrider
  19. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know how my stator upgrade works out. I've got the stock stator that I pulled out of my 400 EXC, so I'm going to pull the side cover off my 550 and see if they're the same. I think they are but I want to be sure before I buy the TT kit. I'm running my 550 in a Rally in February and the last stage is usually in the dark, so I'll need the DC power for an HID headlight.
  20. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the LEDs in my sig

I'm gonna put a couple of the 10 watts on my 98 400FE