Airhead aftermarket charging systems

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Twin headlight Ernie, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    So, anyone running a high zoot aftermarket charging system on a Airhead GS? I'd like to hear about your experience. Euro Motoelectrics has a set up that looks pretty good. Anyone got one? Thanks. Ernie
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    lots of us, do a search. pretty much only two choices that and Rick's
  3. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the Enduralast --- installed and operating well.
  4. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Pretty much two choices if you want to retain stock appearance - the Omega or the Enduralast.

Good, short explanation of both in the "Aftermarket" section at the bottom of this page:
    http://largiader.com/articles/charging/

I've researched these myself, but am holding off for now. However, here is what I gather:

Omega - overall retains a more stock-like component set while providing higher power output. However, the power delivery is similar to the stock system since all the parts are just upgraded stock parts. What that means is you should get more power with the Omega, but later in the RPM range like stock (~3000-3500). Best for touring at high RPM for long periods. Also you can still substitute stock parts in an emergency if an Omega part fails (the new Diode board will likely not fail, but rotors have been known to pooch it).

Enduralast - less overall power delivery, but it starts very low in the RPM range - like 1500. Permanent magnets mean rotor or stator failures are eliminated. This kit replaces the stock Diode Board and Voltage Regulator with its own rectifier. That means if any part of this kit fails, you are pretty much screwed. This package is better for city-bound commuter riding or trail addicts.

If you don't care about stock appearance, then your wallet is the only limit:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225223

I'm partial to the Omega, since I don't want to be stranded with a non-substitutable part 1000 miles from home. Plus, I have experience with the VR and the Diode Board used in the Omega setup, and to top it off, Rick is a really good guy.
  5. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    I think one issue with the Omega is that if the rotor blows, you cant just swap in a stock rotor. I mean it will fit, but it wont charge. It will keep the front seal from leaking to have a rotor on there though.

also, I will corroborate everything Ignatz mentions. I have an Omega system on mine, and Rick is only a phone call (and some USPS) away. His system works really well when its maintained like the stick system should be. Watch out for dirty connections.
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its funny, this topic has been thrashed to the level of an oil thread, and always seems to get some people hot under the collar.

I have an Enduralast. My experience has been all good, across three airheads & a load of miles. I wouldn't hesitate to take that alternator on a RTW trip.

IIRC, on Airhead Wranglers South Amercian trip it was the Omega that shit the bed...
  7. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I've blown two Omega rotors, that is what it is. And my riding style might prefer a lower charging rpm, (more starts and slow speeds, less touring) but it can be kindof worked around with an additional highoutput voltage regulator and an Odyssey type battery that likes to be charged at +14v.
  8. bereahorn

bereahorn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a '92GSPD with the Enduralast system and it works well for me.:lurk
  9. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    +20 on the Enduralast.
    Gives more than enough power for my added driving lights, heated grips and clothing, etc. Have almost 80,000 miles on it since installing 4 years ago. Not had one lick of problems. Gen light goes out on startup. If left to idle after startup, at 1000RPM the voltmeter goes up to 14+ volts within 20-30 seconds, then just sits there keeping my larger than stock Westco GSM battery up to snuff. Have had to sit in traffic for extended periods with no ill effects, and have ridden coast to coast across North America and back with it 4 times, in all kinds of weather, including sub freezing as well as 90+F. Not one bit of problems with the Enduralast. Wish I had made the change long ago.
  10. redkats

redkats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed an Enduralast on my 92 R100GSPD 2 years ago in preparation for an Alaska trip. It will run heated grips, driving lights, and a heated jacket with no problems. Have put over 20k on the bike since then with no problems.
  11. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I have an Omega on my '91 R100GS. I have no experience with an Omega failure, or the Enduralast. I was unaware that the rotor A. might go bad, and B. could not be replaced with a stocker.

I constantly monitor my voltage output, with a home-brew voltmeter plugged into the 12 volt output on the dash ... I have had issues with bad connections ... so it is real good to monitor. It seems to me that the Omega only really kicks in after about a minute or so above 3,000 rpm. Then it ramps to 14 VDC and stays there while the voltage regulator keeps knocking the voltage down below 13.8. I also have the Odyssey Battery ...

In the big scheme of things I do not have enough data to support either system.

So ... why won't the stock rotor work with the system?
  12. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enduralast for me:

[​IMG]
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Beater- the stock rotors diameter is too small by just a few millimeters. Its not close enough to the alternator to excite the field. Alternatively (haha) an Omega rotor wont quite fit inside a stock alternator, its too big.

It might have worked on the earlier 400w versions, but I dont think Rick has been making those for a few years. Now the Omega's are all 450w versions, and a 58mm rotor or something, compared to a 55 or 53mm stock version.

Like somebody said in the 800w big juice thread, you can only get more watts by either spinning faster, or making the unit bigger.
  14. photomd

photomd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Enduralast system. I've had in on the bike since 07...I think. Since my airhead is my winter bike, it runs Dual Star grips and a heated jacket that the stock system couldn't handle. I run about 100w extra in accessories daily. Within the first year the R/R took a dump. The fella at Enduralast wanted me to run some simple test (gotta know how to test diodes) and he sent me a replacement within a week: good service. It's been very reliable since.

I also run a stock Bosch system on my Guzzi. I never run any extras and it keeps an AGM battery well charged. IMHO, everyone says Rick has great service. My point is pick the system that fits your needs. I think they're all good, but these bikes are getting old and need attention to stay reliable: the connections have to be clean, good grounds and wiring in good shape. As long as everything is in good shape and not overloaded, they'll all keep your battery charged.
  15. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Great.

Now I will be polishing the motor for the rest of our lives.
  17. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Well, you've thrown a monkey wrench in an otherwise perfect plan, Stage. Thanks a LOT! :becca

I guess the choice is less clear-cut in an emergency failure situation now, except you could still replace a faulty VR or diode board in a pinch with the Omega. I've already got the ME 14.2 VR, and Rick's diode board in the kit is supposed to *never* fail, so... that would leave the stator or brushes as possible weak points of the Omega. With the Enduralast it sounds like the only real possible weak link is the rectifier.

I suppose the final decision lies in how much juice you need and at what RPM, then you dance with the one you paid for.

I think I'm still a bit partial to the Omega...
  18. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
  19. photomd

photomd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :D
  20. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    My 2c:

Every car manufacturer uses the energized rotor alternator. This is the industry standard. Early 1960's Japanese bikes used and currently Ducati uses a magnet spinning in a stator alternator. Enduralast is a retrofitted Ducati system.

Rotors fail. Carry a spare. Ever tired to get an Enduralast Rectifier/Regulator whilst broken down in Podunk?

The Omega/Emerald Isle system is simply what the Bosch system should have evolved into by the /7 models. Nothing mysterious, just a slightly larger rotor, slightly different windings.

Why is charging at 1500 rpm important? How often to you ride at that RPM? Or need extensive charging at idle?

I have 150K miles on the stock Bosch system and 30K on the Omega without failure.

FWIW.