Pensacola area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XT Thumper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    D00d in that vid is SpeedoJosh! :deal

BertDave... what you did... it's been saw'red! :evil
  2. cpg7562

cpg7562 just me..

Oddometer:
    Im looking for some recommendations on camping up in Cheaha, I know we have quite a few Cheaha vets around here. The wife and I are driving up to do some camping and hiking. No riding this trip for us :(

Any suggestions on good places to camp to hit the hiking trails?

Thanks!
  3. Barney

Barney I reckon so

Oddometer:
    Top of the mountain at Cheaha SP is nice except during chigger season.
  4. Barney

Barney I reckon so

Oddometer:
    :nod On deathwings.
  5. cpg7562

cpg7562 just me..

Oddometer:
    Do you have to reserve spots there or is it first come first serve? I went to the alabama state parks webpage and it doesnt have much info on camping reservations.
  6. Barney

Barney I reckon so

Oddometer:
    I would call ahead just in case.

http://www.alapark.com/CheahaResort/Contacts/

Madhouse and others may have better intel than me.
  7. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    You can call anb make reservations but spots are first come first serve.

Call beforeyou hall and check on weather.

One other piece of advice - have all your supplies BEFORE you go up the mountain. It 60miles round trip to civilization if you forget something and the little store aint much and closed most of the time. BTW the restraunt has a great view! and aweful food....be warned....

Good luck... its a great place.
  8. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't reserve specific sites, but you can reserve a slot.
    You pick your spot on a first come basis.
    Honestly I have never been when it was 100% full so I don't know how solid the reservation really is, but its only a phone call.

I also prefer staying at the lower campground near the lake/pond where Pop's is the "host".
    Its less busy and the views are better.
    They do shut it down during the winter months, so if you are thinking short term its probably closed now and Pop's is down south somewhere.
  9. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK guys I agree it is time to get rid of the maypop "deathwings" and put some new rubber on the CRF230L Honda. I am considering Dunlops...D742 FA 80/100 on the front and 739 A/T Desert 110/100 on the rear. Anybody have an opinion or a recomendation? The ratio of dirt to pavement riding I plan on doing is about the same as our ride this past Sunday.
    Thanks!
  10. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

Pirelli Scorpion Pro front/Kenda Trakmaster II rear (DOT approved) or Michelin S12 front & rear (non-DOT approved) seem to be the ticket for anything you throw at it IMO. I'll mix in a Pirelli MT43 rear if it gets rocky (TN, GA, AL, SC, NC). :deal

My 2 pannies! :wink:
  11. cpg7562

cpg7562 just me..

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks for the intel guys!
  12. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second the kenda/Pirelli combo. Just put those on my xr6. Great tire, especially in the loose stuff.

Your wheel size may make it a little more tricky. Good chance you may have to go non-dot route.
  13. Just_P_Dirty

Just_P_Dirty Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer:
    finally! orange juicy is back. i got the oil leak fixed, new chain, sprocket combo and new sprocket bolts. i rode it to the gas station and remembered why the orange kool-aid is so good. 17/40 combo is crazy. cant wait to go for a street ride. a couple of us are meeting at tom thumb at pj adams on sunday if anyone wants to go for a street ride.
    show time is 9am.
  14. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. The Scorp PRO/Kenda combo is my go to dirtbike set up. So far I've spooned new one's on all 132 off road bikes I've owned

:hide
  15. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

:poser
  16. waysherr

waysherr Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer:
  17. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    Bought some K760 (Trackmaster II's) to try out this year. Pirelli Scorpion Pro's are what we run on the front. We were using Dunlop D606 rears and we like them just fine, but always hear about the Trackmaster II's so will give them a try.
    DB
  18. SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody here want or lost a dog? Had a female Blue Pit wander into my yard this evening. I'd say she's about a year old. Super friendly, she's actually laying on my leg as I type this. No aggression what so ever. Walked right up to her and she just wagged her tail. Really a beautiful dog. In just the few hours I've had her, I've already become attached and will be sad when she goes, but I'm not stationary at the moment and can't have a dog when I leave for a month or two at a time.

Can text pics if you want.
    609-408-3916
    NJ number but I live in Pace.
  19. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might give this combo a shot on my DR. I am running d606s now, and while they wear well and im sure theyre great tires, my rear always spins a bit when I give any decent throttle and ive had the front wash out all at once even taking it easy a few times. Im not sure if this is my lack of skill (prolly) or if maybe a tire swap might help. Trying to find a good combo for colorado when im out there later this year as well..

I was also considering trying a MT18 front and an MT21 rear. I think for getting to Utah/Colorado im going to run a MEFO rear and TKC80 front- no good for mud but it should be good everywhere else and make the distance. Thoughts? Figure you might know a bit having been out in areas with a bit more elevation changes and rocks..
  20. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Lower campground is best but its closed for repair this winter. You will love the place!