Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've thought of that, TD. I'll watch it closely over the next couple rides. It's generally down in the 40s now in the AM, and cooler up on the mountain.
  2. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i miss that living in your part of the country

one day not soon enough i plan to return

blocking the rads with a bit of cardboard or sheet plastic would be cheap to do
  3. George 99

Oddometer:
    :eek1
    All great advice, Numbers. I carry cell phone and SPOT at all times. Cell service generally function in the US even in semi-remote areas if you can get some altitude. The route I asked about parallels both US-95 in CA and AZ-95 on the other side of the river, only a few miles in either direction. Also, the river itself is heavily populated along that stretch. (Of course, if a guy is laying at the bottom of one of those ravines... :eek1 :D)

(One reason for riding alone or in small (2 or 3) groups is to avoid the break downs often suffered by others. :D)

My shop manual covers all models of the DRZ so I'll compare the coolant functions of E _vs_ S. I was just looking for the simple answer. Your input is appreciated.
  4. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    I have those items listed for sale currently, and although many would not agree with me here. Adding a thermostat reduces warm up time, stabilizes jetting, and can help increase fuel mileage by allowing more accurate jetting setups.

I would add a thermostat on a bike that is running too cold, especially if you are running alot of highway and in cold temps. Link below in my signature.
  5. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    My friend has a 2003 DRZ400E with the ACT wide ratio gear box; I am considering adding one to my 2000 DRZ400E. However, with my size (6'4", 300lbs)*I would need a noticeable power increase to use the longer legs. I am interested in reports from anyone out there who has a big bore and/or stroker kit that has used it long enough to report on reliability and longevity.* Really appreciate hearing from folks with firsthand, accurate, information, since there are a lot of posts with opinions but I can seem to find reports of actual experience.

Thanks in advance!
    Paul

cross posted to TT
  6. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. George 99

Oddometer:
    Bob, I don't need the guards (already installed) but I'll contact you PM about the thermostat and a new rad cap. Thanks for posting the info.
  8. dazz

dazz I don't want a nickel....

Oddometer:
    Good evening. I've been here since 2006. Had some other bikes and posted about 100 times. Could someone please send me to the right spot to get me jetted? Or just tell me which jets to use?

I bought a nice 2000 400 DRZ S. All stock. I'll cut the 3x3 hole. I ride around 1000 to 2000 feet. I'm an old man, I just want it to run crisp.
    Thanks fellows.
  9. cheeseyboy

cheeseyboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was out riding for a while today and the temps were in the low 40's. My DRZ400S refuses to run right until it has idled for about 6-8 minutes. Is this common? I have no mods to it.
  10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

Check here
    http://www.4strokes.com/tech/suzuki/drz400su.asp

and here
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1
  11. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    my e would not run in that little bit of cold until i rejetted it
  12. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming the bike is jetted lean for emissions, then colder air, being more dense would exacerbate that lean-ness. A little rich ending should help. Not sure which circuit needs richening, but best guess is idle/pilot. A turn on the air/fuel screw might do the trick in the short term.
    Psycho
  13. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would start with the pilot that will help the cold start
    then go to a larger main
  14. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    E 3x3 hole and jd kit made a real big difference to my bike. I had heard it go both ways; not doing much and big change. A fully, I was the latter.... Go for it!
  15. riverrat1515

riverrat1515 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2000 street legal e model, with the snorkel removed and haven't had much trouble with the bike in cold weather. It does take a bit to get started when it's cold out. Choke on and have to twist the throttle about 5 times before hitting the start button. Starts np, but sometimes will die and have to repeat the process again.When it gets really cold(like under freezing)usually have to do this 3 or 4 time before the bike will stay running. I like to let the bike warm up to operating temp before i ride. about 5 min.
    But this is usually what you get with carbureted engines. This doesn't happen with fuel injection. Ohh to have a fuel injected drz. We can always dream.
  16. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    larger pilot and a jet kit will do wonders for you
  17. George 99

Oddometer:
    Do you ride all winter, Rat? My main concern is operating temp on the oil, don't want starvation due to thickness. Guess I could put in some 5W30. :D

At 90° air temp, coolant temp went up over 200 while setting at a RR crossing, within a couple miles at 60 MPH, it was back down to 160. Standards for the thermostat (which we don't have) says it starts to open at 165, fully opened by 195 (IIRC.) So, I'm gonna add the thermostat if I can.

TD, my bike has been fully kitted, runs a treat. Have to think bigger jets (more gas at a given throttle opening, richer) might make it run cooler.
  18. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    how is your bike at altitude ?
  19. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Mine is cold blooded too it will take forever to warm it up in the winter time and winter here isn't that harsh although I've ridden in 27 deg F. before and it wasn't that much fun.
    But why u want to ride when it's close to freezing or under? :vardy... I'll pick up my downhill Skis for that condition:D, just saying.
  20. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    some of the best riding is in the winter :D