most useful thing you found while riding?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scmopar, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ULY-RPG

ULY-RPG cool hands adv

Oddometer:
    Five years ago I found a set of decent jumper cables that had been sitting a while, right off the trail when I stopped to pee. Picked a good spot I guess.
  2. timspong

timspong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A leatherman knife with everything about 10 years ago. I actually used it again today.

A Norton baseball hat

A claw hammer

A crow bar

I even found a fullface motorcycle helmet once. But it looked like it bounced down the road a good way.
  3. outrunner

outrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After riding 220 miles back from a 2 day bike meet it was getting dark, 40 miles to go, and I found a 5" long allen key. Unfortunately, the reason I found it is because it went through my back tyre.:cry Mind you, it was a handy addition to my tool kit.:lol3

Andy.
  4. higear

higear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't found anything while on the bike yet, but I did find a 12 foot step ladder a few years ago. Luckily I was in the truck.
  5. jc9995

jc9995 Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer:
    I found me again.....never would have found that in a cage.

posted via my mobile......cuz you can't tie me down! :)
  6. UnclebudinTX

UnclebudinTX Half Moose Whiskapalian TEX-LEX

Oddometer:

Dear Penthouse a funny thing happend while riding home tonight...............................:evil:rofl
  7. Grackle

Grackle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap

I don't stop for roadside junk, but my uncle used to do long distance trucking, and he has picked up a lot of things. Boating-related items are common... People stash stuff in the boat and it blows right out.
  8. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't find it while riding, but it's come in handy quite a few times on the bike.

A long time ago, before I even had a drivers license, I was up at our weekend cabin walking back from the lake along the gravel road. I found a sleeping bag in a stuff sack.

It's been more than 20 years and I still have it, and as it's down, it's probably the best bag I have in my camping gear. Packs up tiny and is the warmest bag I own. I'd like to replace it, but similar models today are at least ~$200. That bag has been with me all over the country on my bike.

Jamie
  9. garrett the nerd

garrett the nerd Sprocket Protector

Oddometer:
    On my first moto-trip out of state I found this amongst some leaves on the curb in a parking lot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    Yes they are, I've had two of them for work. the only issue is that they are too big to carry on my belt.

I haven't found anything on the bike, but in the cage I've found screwdrivers, pliers, a full set of metric ratchet wrenches, and an aluminum hand truck once but by the time I got turned around someone else picked it up. Oh, I also found a set of used brake pads lying by the side of the road.
  11. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A roofing nail to reattach my clutch lever after the bolt that holds it on fell out while riding down I95. I didn't know what I was going to do and I looked around on the ground and my prayers were answered. :D
  12. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thats really strange. During my first month of riding I came around a tight corner and almost hit a pair of blue handled channel locks in the road. Pulled over, put them in my pocket...... do you think people are dropping them for us to find?:huh
  13. St. Arbucks

St. Arbucks Looking for clues... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found a black thong hanging on a low branch near the Potomac River. Nobody was around. Just the thong, and my imagination.
  14. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found a Stihl MS-250 chainsaw laying upright across the center line on a desolate section of rural pavement. apparently fell out of the back of someone's truck but the only damage was a broken latch on the air cleaner cover. Stopped and moved it to the side of the road then waited a bit to see if anyone came after it. No one did so I took off. $1.75 for a new latch and I used it as my extra saw for a while, then sold it to a neighbor.
  15. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    No blue-handled channellocks, but I found a nice pair of needle nose pliers a few weeks ago. And from long back a decent locking blade pocket knife.

Aside from underwear, one of the strangest for me was a piece of an automotive rocker arm. Always wondered how it was that the rest of the engine wasn't somewhere nearby.
  16. DangerGirl

DangerGirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I find some thing every time I ride. It's a grin ear to ear :freaky
  17. CZP01

CZP01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pulled up to a red light and found a license plate lying on the ground. :huh

I picked it up and shoved it in my side pannier just before the light turned green. :evil
  18. bodhisattva65

bodhisattva65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    --GPS unit, still using it. And I did look in the address book for maybe the owners address in the unit none to be found.
    --Floor jack
    --Motorcycle seat from someones Kawasaki
  19. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    I stopped to stretch my legs in rural West Dakota and lo & behold, there in the ditch was this emaciated carcass in full riding gear and a well used but perfectly good BMW F650GS with Caribou Panniers. The dead guy wasn't going to need it so I took it home.

[​IMG]

Naww . . . the green tackle box was what I actually found. Full of split shot, rattle traps, devils horses, hooks etc. Probably $200 worth of fishing tackle. Probably blew out of someone's boat in that prairie wind region.

Lee
  20. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    I thought the black box was a clue?? :1drink