The Bridge To Nowhere

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by crpntr, Mar 10, 2013.

1. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "The bridge to nowhere" in Auburntown TN, you know it or you don't. It spans over a great series of sweeper's between Woodbury and Auburntown, TN. It's the site of many pics and new years toasts. I rode across it today and realized they changed the sign. It was renamed for a friend of my son's that died in Afghanistan. He was 20. Not old enough to drink...20. He was the kid that hit's on your wife right in front of you because he thought he was that cool. He was the kid that did silly talent shows in school just to get a laugh. He was the kid that everybody liked and the one that ultimately gave his life 2 and a half years after he got his high school diploma for my freedom. He could have been my son or yours, but he wasn't. He was Frank Walkup. The next time you haul ass across a bridge thats says "memorial" at the bottom, think about that guy for a second. Thank you Frank...

[​IMG]
  2. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing from looking on Google Maps it's on 145?
  3. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about his passing but glad they recognize fallen heroes
  4. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bridge is Locke Creek rd on one side and Pleasant Ridge on the other, but yeah it spans 145 which is Auburntown/Woodbury Rd depending on your direction. Lots of Harley guys go up on New Years for a toast every year, you can barely walk through there. Today is the first time i've known whom any memorial bridge was named for. It changes my outlook for sure. Go, ride and be thankful.
    knybanjo likes this.
  5. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a veteran I applaud your sharing of the story of a soldier who lost his life in the service of our country. As a citizen I thank 1st Lt. Frank B Walkup IV for the selfless giving of his life for his fellow citizens. To his family, fellow soldiers, and friends that supported him in his decision to serve our country I offer my heartfelt condolences and hope that his life will be remembered with joy.
    Mr. Ray and crowtalks like this.
  6. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:
    It's very sad this young man died.

But the war in Afghanistan is not
    even remotely necessary in order for Americans to remain
    free. If anything the reverse is true, and technology
    which was used in Afghanistan will eventually be used
    against Americans here in the US. And if you think the US
    is a free country you are living in a dream world. Americans
    cannot even travel to Cuba without our own government wanting to
    mess with us when we return home. That's not freedom, that is
    oppression.

Afghanistan is the same sort of utter waste that Viet Nam
    was. I served in Viet Nam and I saw the waste with my own
    eyes.

The bottom line is, good men need much better reasons to
    die than Viet Nam and Afghanistan. And the US needs to quit trying
    to control the world. The US would be a better place if US resources
    were used helping Americans here at home rather than in vain attempts
    at maintaining an empire, all of which will fail.

greasyfatman likes this.
  7. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I served in 6 years during Desert Storm. Regardless what the war was about, we all stepped up to serve and sacrifice. We all did just that. Don't betray a young mans ultimate sacrifice with politics.
    crowtalks likes this.
  8. crowtalks

crowtalks escaping life, one ride at a time

Oddometer:
    Nine years after this 1st posted, I stumbled across the thread because I'm thinking on getting a little ride up to use the bridge as a waypoint. I have been across this bridge several times, but I never really paid attention to this memorial (or any memorial sign erected along highways and bridges)...and I should for in general they are honoring someones child or loved one.

After reading this, when I do lead a ride here, I will stop and mention the memorial sign for we should honor the fallen, regardless of the politics that neither you or I can change.

Thanks for the thread.

Jim
    iyaoyas98, Boatman and knybanjo like this.
  9. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I stumbled upon this, I will be in Nashville next week and will have a couple of days to ride. Going down part of the Natchez Trace for one day and then we were just going to boot around the next day so will put this on the list and see if we can stop by.
  10. crowtalks

crowtalks escaping life, one ride at a time

Oddometer:
    If your ride to the bridge is on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, check out the restaurant at the Readyville Mill (https://www.tnvacation.com/local/readyville-readyville-mill). It is only a couple of miles from the Locke Creek Road turnoff to cross the bridge.

Jim
    SSBB likes this.