OSSA trials starting 2011 / 2012

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Zuendapp, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 maybe 3 2011 OSSA low hour trials bikes are for sale in my area.
    I am new to trials and the OSSA looks like a neat bike.

My question is starting. I have heard from one owner that his bikes doesn't start cold?

Thru the grapevine I heard another 2011 doesn't like to start after running ( warm)

A friend tells me that it is more of a starting technique. once you figure it out, most of the time your good to Go?

Is there a difference between the 2011 and 2012? Can this be fixed?

Thanks for your input
    Terry
  2. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend bought an early model and some times it was a pig to start hot or cold, other times would fire on the 1st kick. . We'd all take turns kicking it with different techniques, then it would mysteriously fire with an easy kick. It finally got sorted after several efi computer updates.
    Theres a couple other 'quirks' with them, but very nice.
  3. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    These bikes are ELECTRONIC FUEL injected. FWIW some have trouble starting gasgas's.

there are new "mapping" or programs that can be uploaded to Chip on the bike, changes everything. depends on which one is installed.

My buddy is experimenting with a 9v battery backup so to speak for the ignition, since it is "off until you start kicking" might make it start easier? I dont know details. I can ask, he's brilliant with bikes, especially restoring classics.

I rode the ossa (test ride) they are fine. Different as night and day to my raga, but fine. Engine designed by same guy/firm that did the gasgas, BTW.
  4. Zuendapp

Oddometer:
    I have searched on You Tube and found the video of a 9V battery update?
    No real details, just the installation? Looks like a switch is installed on the Kick starter to turn on system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yrytPZ7RgQ

5. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my 2011 a few days ago and have only started it twice.I'm going to order that kit.Should be $35 well spent.
  6. Zuendapp

Oddometer:
    Update: I have searched other forums and even You tube videos to learn more about the OSSA Trials Tr280I

From what I gather this has been a subject on many forums. I have talked to several owners and previous owner.

WOW you find a wide Varity of answers from I’m ecstatic, Great bike / Good bike with minor starting issues / Ugly (OSSA needs to fix this)

As you have seen, there are software updates and 9V battery update available, that has fixed the issue or at least made starting more tolerable ( depends on who you talk to )
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Lewissport just took over OSSA for the USA, what I hear. But the original guy sold them "as is" So what has to happen is someone near you, to have the laptop, the program (which interfaces with the Eprom chip), the cables, and the new mappings... He can feed it the new "mappings" in other words reprogram the electronics. You know they do this on everything nowdays if you buy the software, to reprogram "tuner" cars to even Farm Tractor diesels...

I am guessing that the original mapping was set way too freaking lean, so it would be easier if that bike was grabbed at random to smog check, could make it hard to start, I know lean on gasgas is hard to start.

Then when the Ossa would be sold by a dealer, to the consumer Then maybe in perfect world, Dealer would update to latest code that most like, or maybe custom if you had that inclination... I hear there are several mappings now, to choose from. I rode the original, and 2 I dont have any idea updates... last update was really nice enough for this GASGAS 300 RAGA pro rider, to start, AFAIK.

I know a guy in Wichita has the means to change your program, Then of course, by now lewissport probably can too. Id of thought, that the worst thing was, you'd maybe have to send the box that gets the program, they program and send it back, but I heard it was better if they had the whole bike, they can tweak on it...

Your mileage will vary, I dont have an OSSA, I have a half decent memory, that has been wrong before, I just cant recall when... :lol3