Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep reading to "check" the switches? Haven't dug into the manual yet, but how do I "check" to see if a switch still works. Do I need some sort of diagnostic tool? There are a bunch of switches on this bike, I guess I just don't know how to tell if one is actually causing a problem.

And are these switches known to cause problems on this bike?
  2. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for fun check to make sure the connections on your battery
    terminals are tight.

Mine vibrated loose a while back, bike still turned over and started but it
    was acting wonky and was giving a "check engine" error message on the
    display....
  3. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, now that I think about it, if your kickstand switch was bad the starter wouldn't work and yours does.

Get a buddy and try to bump start it in 2nd gear. Give your throttle a twist when trying to start it and see if that doesn't help. You've got gas and air are you sure you have spark?
  4. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    According to the lady at Just Gas Tanks, this locking cap should also fit the Safari 3.5 gallon tank. I cannot verify this as I don't own that tank.

BigFeet

5. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:

The only switch that could be causing a problem and still crank is the tipover switch. If your instrument cluster is not showing an orange engine light, then it isn't the tipover switch. Move on to the basics.

6. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya, the instrument cluster doesn't show any issues. I've checked the battery connections, those are fine. I guess I need to check the spark plug so that's next. Looks like the WRX is going to be parked for a few days though... weather just got nice after a bunch of rain and I don't feel like wrenching and diagnosing when I could be riding. Good thing I've got the Ninja...
  7. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuses???
  8. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton GAS: Are you sure you have enough?
  9. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya got me. Would it still turn over if it was the fuses? Just one more thing to check I guess. Some of this stuff is a bit over my head.... I can do the basics, but never imagined I'd be having to check all this other stuff on a bike that's practically new. Guess I'll learn something...

Full tank.
  10. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's a teaser.

Pics in the other thread include closeups of the packages for part numbers and URL info.

BigFeet

[​IMG]

What the heck, here are the labels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so does the cap work like i've heard/seen or not like shewolf states?
    how does that fill hole filter work from profill?

i think it was me who first posted about both of those items.
    curious to get some feedback.
  12. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Eakins,

This was definitely your suggestion on both parts from way back when. I gave ya' credit a few pages back when I first posted the link to my detailed writeup and pics on it.

It fits just fine - for me.

There are talking points where others may disagree. In the other writeup I did (linked a few pages back), I stated that on my IMS tank, the IMS cap has about 3/4 turn of thread engagement. My particular Acerbis cap to IMS tank fit has 1/2 turn of thread engagement.

The ProFill strainer gets sandwiched between the cap's gasket and the tank neck. So this removes almost 1/4 turn of engagement. BTW, that strainer drops in very nicely and fits the tank neck very well. :thumb

They're pretty strong threads, so I put the strainer in, Acerbis cap on and tightened it more than I would ever tighten a bike tank cap... just to see if it would strip. It did not.

Are ANY of the above enough thread engagement if the bike falls over and the cap hits a rock? Is the stock cap and tank up to that? How likely is that hit?

Anyway, I'm sayin' opinions will vary but as for me, I think it fits fine and I thank you for the suggestion from way back when.

Now if you're lookin' to PO Wuffie, that's yer business :D but ya' probably noticed I'm stayin' outta the middle of that. :lol3

In the detailed writeup, I say that my IMS tank is presently only 1/3 full, so I have not dumped the bike over yet to see if the Acerbis vent will leak or not... or if the interface between the strainer and the tank neck may seep. But I doubt it; both are very smooth and the nylon of the strainer is maybe a little compressible.

Thanks again for the suggestion! Much apprecated! :clap

BigFeet
  13. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Oh what the hell. Here's another pic in case ya' don't feel like linking to the other thread.

This is an intentional side view to show the gap between the cap and tank. I'm pretty picky and feel like it's totally good.

And here's another link to the full writeup in case ya' do care to do the longer read or if ya' came into it late.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/ims-3-gallon-locking-gas-cap-and-tank-strainer-t3124.htm

BigFeet

p.s.: I wasn't paying attention when doing my tank fitup and scratched the top visible area. This pic is after mostly sanding out those scratches with various grades of automotive sandpaper - 400# up to 2000# automotive wetordry paper, then guitar sanding pads up to an alleged 10,000# :rofl.

It's still a little smudgy, but better than the big scratches I'd hamhanded into it. -feets

[​IMG]
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    oh cool. sorry i missed that older post.
    glad it worked for you as i have seen this done in the past and was wondering why it was not working on the wr fill neck.

i still think ims should step up to the plate a built their own proper caps as they are in the biz of selling tanks for street bikes.

as for the pro-fill. you order from oz or usa supplier?
    that is a must have item for mexico travels.
    man their web designers are sure laid back (lazy?).
    the site is very basic and they need 5-7 weeks of web downtime.
    good lord, i'm in IT & i'd be fired if i took that long.
    the concept is to build the new site off-line while keeping the old one up.
    maybe things are different down under?
  15. mcbroom

mcbroom Tame adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hayduke, excellent guidance and pics! :clap Apologies if you posted the close-ups already before, I must have missed them even though I try to follow this thread closely.
  16. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of trying these next.

For those of you running these as a dual sport tire on the WR-R, what kinda mileage are you getting? 1K miles? 2K miles? More? Less?

Also, what front do you run with the Pirelli? I see that IRC has a couple, but haven't seen anything else that's a "trials-type" tire.

Thanks!
  17. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    yep, I also had an issue with loose terminals. Causes ALL kinds of ruckus!
  18. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I got the bike started this morning. Did absolutely nothing to the bike since yesterday though, so I'm not sure why it would now start. I had to turn it over about 10 times and use the throttle... it tried to fire up a few times but stalled, then finally it started and now appears to be running fine.

Now I am going to be paranoid every time I shut it off to get gas or something though.

Does this sound like the beginning of the fuel pump going...even though I can always hear the pump prime?
  19. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I'm curious... when you start the bike do you always wait for the fuel pump to prime and all the warning lights (except neutral light) to go out before hitting the starter button? On mine it's about 3-4 seconds after turning on the key.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes on the WR's but if I ever deviated from the start procedure on my BMW Dakar (also an EFI bike) the CPU would get confused and the bike would run like crap until I did the start procedure correctly.

Since my WR-R is also a fuel injected bike, I've always done the "wait-til-the -lights-go-out" starting procedure. This may not have anything to do with your issues, but it's easy to try and cost nothing in money and a few seconds in time.

Good Luck! I'll be interested to hear what you finally figure out is going wrong.
  20. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the fuel pump to me. Yes, a bad pump will still sound like it's priming.

Bring it in and let Yamaha buy you a new pump.