2013 Tiger 1050 SPORT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Stickywicket, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Daytrader

Daytrader Elitist Bastard

Oddometer:
    So it is coming here? Everything I read says it isn't.
  2. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even if it did come stateside, my nearest dealer is an hour away. They have two 1050's in stock....both 2011 models...new. :huh
  3. 3sum

3sum former Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    An hour which way from Florence? I'm fairly familiar with NE Alabama.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg is a Motorcycle guy as is John Bloor. It will be brought here to the states... Just don't get your hopes up too high for this year.

On a side note Team Latus will be fielding a flat tracker Triumph this year as well as having Desalvo back in the saddle of the 675 in AMA Sport Bike.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k5jAawN5tXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealer is in Decatur. About a 50 minute drive from my house. They don't show any 2012 1050's in inventory. Oddly enough, the Harley dealer in Tuscumbia is showing about 4 2010 Ulysses in stock, one is a police model.
  6. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    The Triumph guy at the NYC motorcycle show said it wasn't coming here, because Triumph didn't want to "dilute" the pool of customers for the 800 and 1200 Tigers. Personally, I don't think it competes with them, apples and oranges if you will. I'm retiring in June of 2014, and would love to buy one of these for a life on the bike from that point forward. The Trophy is an awesome bike, but this one is perfect for one-up long distance touring I think, and my riding gear is all red & black, so that is great too. If anyone can give me more than rumors from which to cling for the next year and a half, it would be great!
  7. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to a local dealer today. They said we wont see the sport in the states. He also said "Thank god!" Because apparently the older 1050 tiger was hard to move, at least around here. I told him that was the only triumph id consider in the current line up. Well, the trophy is just amazing, but id never let myself write that check.
  8. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked the look of this one,

So it stands to reason it won't be coming stateside.
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will be sold here. Just not yet. Triumph is doing well. The reason they are doing well is that they are building great bikes and making smart decisions. They are still a small segment of the overall bike market here in the states but they are working hard to change that.

Triumphs plan is to become #1 across the pond while they continue to grow their market share here and in Asia. It takes time. The New Trophy was just launched here as well as the New Street Triple. Last year it was the Explorer...Before that the 800's. They are moving forward.

If I were to guess... It will be about a year from now and if that is missed look for it a year from August.

Unless the economy takes a complete crap (which may happy with the fools we have in DC) There is no way that they will not bring 1050 here. :nah
  10. 3sum

Oddometer:
    And here's what the sales rep I've been talking with at my (not at all) local dealer said to me yesterday. I was debating between a Sprint GT/ST and the 800/1200 Tiger and threw in a question about the Sport to see if he'd tell me more than he did the day after the Sport was made official 'over there'.

He told me that his dealer rep informed him that Triumph has a bunch of 1050 engines sitting there and brought the Sport out as a one year run to exhaust those engines with zero plans to bring it Stateside. I call bullshit on that. You could arguably say they might have taken the SSA from the Speed Triple and tossed it on, but why go through the tooling to redo the headlights, the mounting for the sidecases, and whatever else they changed.

I'm thinking I might try to find this rep's email or something to contact him directly if possible. I can't see why they'd do it as a one year thing. Keep it over in Europe? Maybe, but that's a lot of BS for a one year run.
  11. ssevy

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. It doesn't seem like spending new money to update a design would produce enough of a return. Also, aren't there changes internally to the engines, which would mean disassembling all those 1050s in storage and rebuilding them?
    I can understand why a dealer would want to sell what they have on the floor, and try to eliminate any interest in what may be coming down the line, but sometimes they seem to be poorly-informed, or deliberately dishonest. I would rather hear "It is impossible to predict the future, and I won't just give you rumors" rather than speculation that is presented as fact. Personally, dishonesty is dishonesty, and I'm not sure that I would buy a bike from a dealer who gives out false info. It's like the guy who asks the pretty woman at the bar if she would spend the night with him for a million dollars? She hesitates only a moment before saying yes. He then buys her a drink and asks if she would spend the night with him for fifty dollars? She replies "What do you think I am?", and he says "we have already established that...I am just dickering on the price".
    I sure hope this bike makes it stateside.
  12. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The specs of the new tiger sport engine I think match the Sprint GT specs. But it sounds like BS to me. It sounds a little strange for a company to have that large of an overstock of engines. They would just build out existing models. After nixing the Sprint GT and the Tiger 1050, both of which would now be overlaping other models, this put a perfect in the middle replacement. If anything happens to my GT, I'm hoping this Tiger is already stateside.
  13. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    The 1050 motor will not make EURO 2016 complience. It's at the end of it's rope. It'll be gone soon enough.
  14. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the 955 motor rolled out, the 885 inventory was mostly "used up" in the Tiger for a few more years.

When the 1050 motor rolled out in '05, the 955 inventory was mostly "used up" in the Tiger for a couple more years.

See a pattern?

A little research and a lot of anecdotal evidence indicates the Tiger 1050 pretty much sold like crap in North America, and there are still new stock 2010 and 2011 models floating around out there.

On the other hand, the Tiger 1050 did a bit better than OK sales in the UK (which likes "standard" bikes much better than North America, since for many it's not a summer hobby, it's year-round basic transportation) and the Tiger 1050 also sold moderately well in Europe.

Just simple economics, US dealers really don't WANT more Tiger 1050's (or Sprints), as they can't sell the ones they have already, and the ones they did sell were often sold at cost, usually with significant "help" from Triumph in the form of rebates or accessory credits, which doesn't really help Triumph out at all. So why export a model to the US that won't sell here?
  15. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    The bitter truth, unfortunately.
  16. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Sounds exactly right to me.
  17. ssevy

Oddometer:
    I was at a dealer today, and he said his staff were all excited about the sport model, and wished it would come here, as they think they would sell alot of them. Maybe an indication of a difference in regional preferences? I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Worst case is to buy a different Triumph for the long haul.
    (Couldn't help but think that this thread is a good example of the old saying that opinions are like assholes, in that everyone has one:D)
  18. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
  19. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Exactly. While I love my Speedy, I miss my Tiger, wishing every day I hadn't sold it. I'd much rather have this new Sport for the updated side cases if for no other reason. I like the new headlights also, but that's an easy work around. I put an HID and LED driving lights on my old one and it made the lighting awesome.
  20. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    If i saw that on the showroom floor id have a hard time walking away. I mean... is this bike sex on wheels or what?! The mutproblemstrada eint got sh*t on this! As far as looks go anyway...