2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So you think the bike will go away and that KTM (the owner) did not negotiate to keep on the best bike in the line they just bought?

When i negotiate, I go for the best cuts of meat and i'm not a pro negotiator.
    Guess we'll see. Sure hope you're wrong.

2. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
  3. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Clearly the BMW powered bikes are done. They will finish out the year but Pierer has plans to go back to off-road motorcycles with the Bajaj/Husqvarna partnership.
  4. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    TR650 eulogies seem to come from those that don't own one -----
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so you take that video as to him saying the TR will use a KTM 690 motor (reuse parts like VW) or he'll toss the existing bike all together? if KTM wants to sell more bikes why would they toss the best selling bike? so that leaves the 690 motor.

6. mario33

mario33 Howling around...

Oddometer:
    Theres no need to that. That thread is on already. And does fine.

Sorry, couldnt resist :rofl

[​IMG]

I'm not saying your statements are not true. They MIGHT be. Or MIGHT NOT. Fact is we both know shiite about this deal. And 99% of the commenting ppl know the same (including any journalists). If the deal is made on business grounds (and we know nothing that might prove it otherwise), any purchase was probably made on the future cash-flows. And to improve that, any business might either increase its sales and/or reduce costs. As for costs, Mr Pierer made it quite clear - to capitalise on KTM own accumen (especially R&D and probably production capacities in India). As for income - I can see LOTS of CURRENT cash-flow-ins coming from TR's sales. As for the FUTURE, thats what we BOTH dont know.

I do believe the prospective owners of Terra are entitled to get proper informaction to make their judgements. And you've expressed your view across the last 10 or 15 pages, we surely got it. No need to do that for the next 30.
  7. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're all wrong.... You just are. 😝
    Internet forums are serious business, I suggest only PhDs in Terrariousness be allowed to post :eek1
  8. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Liar.:deal
  9. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    The market place drives business decisions, so we riders play an important role in the decision making process. Pierer is saying he wants to use a popular automotive manufacturing strategy (lots of different models/brands from a common pool of components) in KTM's products/brands. In the automotive world, it seems to me, there is less of a connection between the vehicle's driving experience and its motor, than in the motorcycle world. For example we can see/hear/feel the motor more in bike than a car. Riders may become more attached to the motor as a reason for buying the bike. So maybe Pierer's plan will work, or maybe not, but buyers will determine the outcome.

BMW, KTM, and Honda have done a good job of designing lots of different models from a common motor/chassis. A brand like Husqvarna has a long tradition which attracts buyers. The motors in recent Husky bikes are not related to early Husky bikes. Maybe it doesn't matter if a new Husky dual sport has a varient of the KTM 690 motor with a red valve cover, it might even mean more buyers. The problem that KTM will have is to avoid increasing Husky sales by decreasing sales of its existing brands.
  10. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:
  11. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    The weather in Arkansas has been decent so I have got to take the TR out on several rides. To me it is the best dual purpose motorcycle I've had the pleasure to ride. Finished building my skid plate last week so I got the opportunity to take her on a rougher trail. Handled very well. I hope to have many happy miles on this bike. I plan on selling the F800GS soon, I only need one bike and this is it. In the famous words of John Travolta "I just want to ride man"
  12. revsinc

revsinc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up on Thursday,
    220 kms of happy km so far
    [​IMG]

( cant seem to post a picture ) ??

[​IMG]
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    this was posted elsewhere.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840187

http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/motornieu...fred-grunert-bmw-motorrad-over-husqvarna.html

Interview Manfred Grunert BMW Motorrad about Husqvarna
    Thursday, January 31, 2013

(web translation)
    Today Nieuwsmotor.nl talked with Manfred Grunert, Head of Product Communications BMW Motorrad. "I can now announce that BMW Group indeed will sell Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG for an undisclosed sum. This is subject to approval by the competition authorities, we expect that within a month can be completed. Due of the enormous drop in the offroad market, BMW has decided to focus purely on BMW Motorrad, so onroadmodellen of over 600cc. never say never, but in the short term, BMW will therefore not return in the offroad segment.

The new owner will be responsible for the service of the sold Husqvarna's. At the moment he takes over the brand will immediately cease all involvement of BMW, which also applies to supply engines and parts for current models. All "expat" employees from Germany at BMW are still on the payroll and will therefore return to BMW. The employees of Husqvarna'll just stay in service.

We do not feel this as a loss of face but as a logical decision after the collapse of the offroad market. I know the circumstances under which other major engine manufacturers withdrew from an Italian company, but for us this is not an issue. Your remark that this is very costly for BMW I can not answer, as you know we do not talk about the sums of money. "

------------------------------------------------

commentary in the above thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
    Really? Everything that I have read stipulates that" the new company has access to all parts manufactures currently available to husky."
    Where did you read your info? End:

reply:
    Parts yes, Husqvarna will have to arrange a supplier but complete engines for another model year not likely. Hundreds of posts on cafehusky.com.

---------------------------------------
    me:
    if above is true, buy a skid plate asap as the aftermarket is not often keen on making or continuing to make parts on a 1 model year only bike.
    that lower mounting area for the front of the skid plate is very much unique to the rotax/bmw design.
  14. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    That certainly doesn't appear to bode well for the Terra/Strada. But if I was in the market for one, it would only hasten my trip to a dealer. Even if it is a one year bike, it fills a niche that no other manufacturer has (lower cost, higher HP, adventure thumper). Better get 'em while they last!
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would any good business man kill a product that is making money? The Terra/Strada will be in the lineup as long as there is a demand for them..... For sure!

Regards, Paul
  16. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    The comments imply new ownership will no longer be receiving engines from BMW nor will there be an ongoing relationship ...
  17. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:

The comments don't "imply" that,......they state that.
  18. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    buying parts for a one year bike could be a pain in the long run.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    he would not.
    i read that the whole bike, except the engine, has future part supply in place.
    so a next year bike is likely to exist but use another engine retro-fitted in place.
  20. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree. But I also don't think it is an insurmountable problem. My X-Challenge was a one year run bike. The aftermarket is nothing like that of a DR650, KLR or F650. But really, beyond a skid plate and racks, most other things are fairly universal. OEM parts will be around for a bit. Maybe finding a fender 10 years from now will be tough or expensive, but if you get 10 years with what you feel is a great bike, you'll deal with the minor frustration.

Maybe next year there will be a KTM engine in it, or maybe they will work out a licensing agreement with BMW/Loncin/Rotax. But even if they don't, I think there will be a lot of happy Terra owners years from now knowing they grabbed a gem of a bike while they could.