A Little Scoot up Mt. Fisher.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by calrider, Jul 23, 2007.

1. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    Decided it was time to contribute a little something to the asylum...

Here's a Google Earth file with the track and thumbnail photos.

I was in Cranbrook, BC for the Canada Day long weekend (July 1). Headed out to Ft. Steele with my sister, niece and nephew for the Canada Day celebrations. They drove, I rode.

The festivities were in full swing by the time we arrived. A group of show riders from the Calgary Stampede were there (probably polishing up for the Calgary Stampede happening the next week.)
    [​IMG]

There in the distance is Mt. Fisher. My plan is to go up a road that runs along a valley to the right at the base of it. You can see the rescue wagon in case I get into trouble up there...
    [​IMG]

One of the coolest things about Ft. Steele is an old working steam engine that takes people on a short ride. Originally used for logging on Vancouver Island up until the 50's.
    [​IMG]

I have a newly-plated xr250r with street-legal knobbies that make highway driving a little nervous, so I was eager to get on the dirt. So off I went...
    [​IMG]

I'm sure this must have been put up by the farmer down the fork to the right!
    [​IMG]

The road quickly started climbing from the dry ponderosa pine country of the valley to moist hemlock and spruce forest in the mountains.

[​IMG]

There's still snow up there!
    [​IMG]

Avalanches in the winter can play havoc with the trails.
    [​IMG]

This put an end to my little exploration. The road continues up to an old abandoned mine.

[​IMG]

Had to ford this pretty little creek. (hey, there's snow here!)

[​IMG]

This is where the creek came from...

[​IMG]

After riding almost back down to the valley, I couldn't resist this little side trail. Just had to see where it went.

[​IMG]

Apparently straight through this grouse's home!

[​IMG]

These birds are renowned for how dumb they can be. Nice to see a bit of wildlife.

Down in the Wildhorse Creek valley, they're still doing placer mining.
    [​IMG]

In the late 1800's there was a huge gold rush into this area. People came from all over the States and Canada to try to strike it rich. Nothing left of the town that was here because they mined the ground out from under it. Just a little graveyard left and a couple of old foundations. The gold rush is the reason Ft. Steele was founded by the North West Mounted Police. Sam Steele later became police commisioner for the Yukon during the Klondike gold rush there at the turn of the 19th century.

A little further down the road a bear had been wandering by making deposits into the road bank...

[​IMG]

Most likely a large black bear or juvenile grizzly. Black scat is often an indication that it's been eating meat...and is likely going to protect the carcass. If you see a few of these in an area, it is likely hanging out and feeding on a nearby carcass and you'd best be gone before it decides that you may be a threat to it's food source. In this one you can also see the seeds, indicating that it's been nibbling on vegetation. Bears are omnivores, and in this area, mostly herbivorous.

Here's a bit of perspective...

[​IMG]

And that was the ride. About 2 hrs total from Ft. Steele. Now a 20 minute ride on the slab back to Mom's home cooking!
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    What a great playground you have in your backyard!! Great pics, ride and report. Thanks for posting and welcome aboard :thumb
  3. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gadget Boy... I've got a few more coming when I get a few minutes to pull them together.
  4. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    Seems like a good ride and the pics only confirm that. That locomotive is so kool.

Thanks for sharing and im waiting for more pics ...
  5. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure those weren't just bits of chewed up 'bear whistles' in there? :D
    Great pics and report! Thanks. :thumb
  6. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    Your great ride reports were one of the things that inspired me to contribute! Thanks Chanderjeet
  7. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    Im glad

:lurk
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    calrider,

did you ever get a chance to climb Mt. Fisher? I think my grandpa climbed it back in the day. He spent almost all his adult life in Cranbrook working the bush and later at the mill (pre-value added mill days) where he ended up a sawyer before retiring - with all his fingers! :freaky

signed - a grandson of Jack Shuflita (in case your family knows him; other side of the family in town there is Karr)
  9. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Meat Popsicle

No, I've never climbed Mt. Fisher. I've wanted to a couple of times, but I don't know many people in Cranbrook and I wouldn't really want to do it alone. It's apparently not technically difficult, just a bit of a grunt.

My parents moved to Cranbrook about 10 yrs ago from Creston (100 km away) My sister and her husband live there too. I live in Calgary, but trailer the bike out there every chance I get. Yeah, so I'm not really connected to Cranbrook family names.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Well if I ever was in town when you are I'd climb it with ya :beer

Dang it, you just reminded me - my grandpa started out in Creston, and my ma was born there as I recall... I'll have to ask to clear the cobwebs. Your folks might have known him from either town. Creston can't have been large back then.
  11. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:
    Like to have something like this in my back yard :nod

[​IMG]

Very nice!
  12. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    You're on!

They lived in Creston from '76 to about '96. Area population is about 15,000. Never changes.
  13. oprahrider

oprahrider Pissed Off Primates Racin

Oddometer:
    We all owe Calrider a debt of gratitude for answering this age old question.

Does a bear shit in the woods????...
    No, apparently, he does not!

[​IMG]
    Now can you help us out with that other mystery............ " Is a frogs ass water tight?"
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    My grandpa and family would have moved to Cranbrook before '76. Not much chance of knowing him in Cranbrook after '96. That takes care of that.

Now, when can I get up to Cranbrook... :wink:
  15. RECON

RECON Git Sum

Oddometer:
    Beautiful country!
  16. Isle Rider

Isle Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for takin' us along!

Maybe we can tip a few someday at the Jaffrey Pub. My Brother has a cabin at Tie Lake and I often use it as a stop over. I love the East Kootenays, and am heading to Fernie in the next few days for some skiing with my Daughter
  17. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    That would be cool. Although I live in Calgary, I'm in the East Kootenay often as my parents live there. Amazing riding.
  18. Rellik

Rellik o-KAY!

Oddometer:
    That's a great ride! I've most of it before in the rain. It sure looks alot more scenic in the sunshine! This is exactly the road I was trying to link to from the Ram River side when we went through last year, but I couldn't find a reliable looking enough trail.

Alan
  19. ADVMindset

ADVMindset Americana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just came across a picture of Yours that is on the current rotation and then started looking at Your ride reports...Awesome part of the world You live in ! I hope to visit there someday !
  20. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    Great pictures...........:clap minus the crap:rofl