750 GT Duck

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Oscar, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Oscar

Oscar Constant Antagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wadda reckon this is worth, guys?
    1974 Ducati 750GT.
    It's being advertised as "very tidy original condition" / 3 owners / 22,000km (13,500 miles).

I always wanted one of these (I turned down a mates one for NZ$1,900 / US$1,000 in 1983).

Attached Files:

2. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    just about ready for a value grind and fuse box repalcement then:evil
  3. Oscar

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings too.
    This guys asking NZ$8500 (US$4700) for it.
    I'm off to see it on Saturday.

And I've said before, I'm not grouchy, I'm Aggressively Cynical :evil
  4. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I always felt I was a bit weird,as I never liked the SS,I thought the GT was the Duke to own.Thats beautiful mate,top price,but I think in a few years time it won't seem you paid $1500 too much.

Snap it up and ride it to Paeroa on sunday and park it in the spectator paddock - If I come back and find it's fallen over onto my bike,I'm gonna kick the tank in,if mine falls on your loverly Duke - sorry mate.
  5. Zollo

Zollo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Pal, I'm swiping that one!

Zollo
  6. Oscar

Oddometer:
    Why would I park a 750GT Duck next to a Vespa?
  7. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    So you can sort out your hairdo in all the mirrors!:):
  8. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And I should not have sold it. Great bikes. Great adventure bikes. I rode mine up to Colorado one time, a real blast in the mountains, not bad on gravel roads at all. Even worked well on snow. The 10.5:1 pistons were a big help at altitude. For the record, I wanted stock compression (around 9:1) when I rebuilt the top end in 1979, but the only pistons I could find in the USA were the hi-comp Venolias. Turned out okay. :evil

Not long after I bought the GT, a pal showed up on a Sport and I immediately coveted it, mostly because of its brutal simplicity, and its electronic tach which left the front bevel cover unblemished. As time went on, I realized that both the GT and the Sport had unique and wonderful qualities. The GT is and ever will be a better travelling bike.

The price asked is within the range that folks are getting for GT's these days. Just a two or three years ago, the SS was out of sight but Sports and GT's were quite reasonable. Sports then went way up, and the GT's are following. Damn. I'm not likely to get another one ever. Spares are available, but some bits are getting very hard to find, and, duh, the prices are rising.

A great resource is the Bevelhead list at micapeak.com. There are a bunch of kiwis on the list, fine helpful blokes who ride'em. You might want to check it out. Not real heavy traffic, not too much noise. I'm on it because I still have the 72 350 single.

Damn that's a beauty. And the noise they make is wonderful. Music is what it is.