Aluminum rear tank for the 990?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Todd34, Aug 17, 2012.

1. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:

Yes, please email them to me.

This goes for anyone interested in Jessie option. Email me your pics.

craig at cj designs llc dot com

I need to make sure the front left mounting bracket that bolt to the passenger pegs is the same idea for all years these were made. I have an older set I'm working off of now, but I need to confirm this so I can move forward on the Jessie box design.

Please call me if you can Todd- I'd like to bounce some ideas off you.
    Maybe try and get your bike up here.

Thanks
  2. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    When speaking with CJ's buddy Jeff while they were out west in Hood River and the Rally about how he uses the aux.tank I got the impression that he waited until the fuel light came on before he opened the valve on the aux. tank fuel line and drained the fuel into the main tanks. easier to keep track of fuel management. My memory could be bad and maybe I misunderstood him. made sense though. I could see not needing the sight tube at all. Personal preference for sure.

My goal is to convert over to the 2-1 and add this tank. Seeing it in person it looks as if it came from the factory with it. Very clean and sleek. And out of the way:clap Beats carrying my Roto 2 gallon as a top case.
  3. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    That is how Jeff managed his fuel use and so do we. Having the sight gauge is just a little bit of extra peace of mind knowing what you have left in side. Sloshing it from side to side was not good enough for me. You can even tick the gauge off with a paint marker when you fill it the first time so you know how much you have.

Kind of like this.
  4. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://bikes.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM990/27243377_Df7GkB#!i=2289045973&k=hm3vzg7

I'm adding some info regarding the Touratech SS rack. It is not a direct fit with the tank. As you can see in the pics, the left side rear brace mount sits higher so the bottom of the tank is blocking it. Rather than trying to return it and the bags and get another type, I'll see if a local shop can reweld the tabs lower as others are. This would allow things to work and still brace it well. The bags do fit though close.

Also, since it's here. I have Craig's rear rack and while it will mount up okay, the TT parts block the holes pre-drilled to mount the rotopax so I'll have to work out some spacers for that. You would also have to use the OEM long bolts from the rack and the long bolts from the TT kit since it has a little bit of a plate on the mounts.

Aggrevating yes, but I'll get if worked out and hopefully saving others some time and money or letting you know in advance what you'll have to do.
  5. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I bought my 990 Adv (used) last year, a set of new Gobis and a rack came along with it, but I have only used the top box for my trips.

I have not yet read of anyone installing CJ's new aluminum tank with the HB rack and Gobi bags. Are there any fit issues with the Gobi rack and CJ's tank? Thanks for any feedback.

Merry Christmas.
  6. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I'm getting the Safari tanks and was going to retire my ADV tank for the CJ tool box and was wondering if it would work.
  7. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/C...STORAGE-BOX-KTM-950-990-ADVENTURE-CJD-ESB.htm

Check out these pics. I think the HB should be similar since the GOBis are "stock" for the KTM so the rack should work. May want to look around for more pics but I'd say there's a better chance that with the TT rack.
  8. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update on the TT rack system issue. I will update the site with this info.

As show, we designed this to fit the OEM KTM rack system and the Wolfman Racks.

We will not be offering a modifed Box or Tank to fit other rack systems. Too little demand.

It does look like the TT racks could be easily modified to clear the tank, by moving the cross bar mount lower.

It's interesting how TT moved the Rack up and forward from the Original KTM setup. I guess with lower bikes, higher bag are a must.
  9. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    if i had the time and the money. i would build a tank to replace the rear subframe.
    Binning the subframe and the various other plastic bit's you gain a load more usably space for lovely explodey liquid stuff. Also running a Gpr header pipe similar to the original dakar bike frees up a shit load more of space you'll find.
    It's been done but not with the added space from the pipe, or rather the loss of the header snaking around the rear shock.
    Pros : a load more fuel with out it detracting from the looks and function of the bike, very trick!

Cons : $$$ and more $$$$$
    Need the pipe if you hav'nt got one .$$
    The connection the the top part of the frame needs to be strengthened, seen this break ? pretty weak link when you consider some people load there top boxes and side boxes full and then ride endless rutts for days . um more $$.

maybe i'll win that 20 mill tonite:lol3.
  10. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the update and pics. Great job.
  12. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    We have been working on a version for the Jesse system.

A new tank will NOT be designed for this system.

What we are going to offer is a Bracket Modification service. We will rebuild your bracket to be similar to the KTM setups. This is the cheapest option over making a new box design for the Jesse system.

One bracket we have used to test is about 5 yrs old. It looks as if it was designed for maximum passenger peg/foot room. This creates a clearance issue with the ESB or LST. We felt the modification to the bracket would give you the most storage volume with the least amount of impact on rider/passenger comforts.

We have a NEW Jesse bracket on the way to see what differences there are from the NEW and OLD brackets.

If you want it powder coated after the modification, we can offer that too, other wise we will prep it and paint it black.

Once we have some pics of them mounted on bikes we'll post some shots.

If you would like to have your bracket modified to fit with an ESB or LST. Please email me for more info.
  13. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    Hey Craig,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I got a job and was out of town a few weeks for training and have been swamped. I should have know when they said no weekends and very little over time, really meant every Saturday and 50+ hours a week. But on the plus size I may now have some money heading your way. :clap
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    The Jesse tank/box project is back on the drawing board.

The NEWEST version Jesse pannier mounts is nothing like the Older version we were currently look at.

If you have the Older style, You are in luck. We can modify that bracket to fit a standard tank and box.

Shown here is the KTM OEM racks.
    [​IMG]

The bracket angles back towards the luggage.

This older style Jesse mount has more of a 90 Deg bend. It hits the box/tank setup.
    [​IMG]

We had planned to weld in a brace where the tape measure is shown, then remove the other bracket. Or you could do this yourself to get our current options to fit your Jesse system.

[​IMG]

The NEW Odyssey 2 mounts are totally different and will require a NEW Box/tank design.
    http://www.jesseluggage.com/ktm950-990.html

Here is your chance to be part to the design process and show if you want us to make a version for the Odyssey 2 setup.

We will need 6-10 riders that want this setup to offer a custom Jesse size unit. All you need to do now is Email us and tell me you are interested.

If you need a 2-1 setup, please add that info too. We can help with the complete package. (Remus Roxx 2-1, or others)

Once we hit the numbers we need, we'll confirm pricing. I will get back to you. This can be for boxes or tanks. We'll be working on this over the weekend to see what our costs will be.

I will post more info here on how many people are interested and how close we are to making these.

We have limited time to fit this project in. If we don't do it now, It will most likely get dropped this season and be looked at again next winter.

No prices will be posted here, so please email me if you want updates.

Again if you have the older Style Jesse luggage mount, we can get you setup now with our current version.

Feel free to post any questions, I'll do my best to get back.
  15. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    A couple guys have PM'd me for pics. They aren't the best but they should help. I already had the parts from a prior plastic ADV tank.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The white piece is a quick disconnect
    [​IMG]
    I tapped into the fuel line here. The oil drain hose from CJ is just behind it.
    [​IMG]
  16. istanbulian

istanbulian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just the ticket Todd:thumb; many thanks for the photos. Very useful (especially as I also fitting CJD's oil drain hose at the same time)