Gauge Cluster Switch-a-Roo?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DudeClone, Mar 15, 2014.

1. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure it's the case with my "new" used bike, but why? It is my estimation the bike has the instrument cluster of a Yamaha FZ6R (newer model) although it is a 2007 FZ6. I noticed this as it has a 2000rpm lower redline at 12,000rpm, while the 2007 FZ6 redlines at 14,000rpm. I did not notice when I bought the bike as I am new to motorcycles and was not focused on the redline / tachometer.

First thing to mind is odometer fraud. Yet the bike shows little sign of wear, has its original rubber (soon changed), and looks and seems very much a 7,000 mile bike as claimed. In fact it looks much like new and runs flawlessly as one would expect of a low mileage bike. Has a few minor cosmetic scrapes but shows no signs of abuse or the sort of wear that comes from many thousands of hard run miles or exposure. So, what gives?

Checked out fine with the DMV and insurance company and has a clean title. I have no intention of pursuing this with the seller, really. I like the bike and paid just $3,000 for it. And I really have no idea what I'd be pursuing but a shallow lawsuit, and a misdemeanor for odo fraud. If that. And he is not the original owner and could just claim the bike is "as is" being his title is clean.

So, what we have here is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Why 'o why does my FZ6 redline like a FZ6R? :p3rry

Which is my next thing to ponder. I read these things were high tech, fed by sensors and ECU's and all? Everything on the instrument cluster functions right. Fuel, temp, speedo. Its all digital. The tach functions perfectly, the bike screams appropriately as the needle rises. I have not gone to redline yet but 9,000rpm would seem very much 9,000 rpm. Would an FZ6R engine fit in the frame of a FZ6 if rebuilding a bike? But why not just rebuild a FZ6R if doing that? It would fetch more money. I am not a thief, however. So cannot think like one. So I really don't know.

I even researched to see if the bike had a lower redline because of Cali emission standards, or maybe it came from overseas? But that would not seem the case. Those bikes seem all the same as any other 2007 Yamaha FZ6 S2's with....14,000rpm redlines!!

So, what gives? Could it have all been innocent? Someone whose cluster failed and was replaced by the wrong one? But would it even work without some "know how" going into it? If this bike wasn't so perfect in several hundred miles of riding the last couple of weeks or was falling apart and seeming OLD, I might have issue.

But should I have issue, anyway? For those with more experience here then I, what sounds most likely? Is this bike "clean" with a simple replacement cluster, or has something been amiss in it's seven year history?
  2. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to ask on the FZ6 forum. I personally would be very wary tho of any bike with a replaced odo, especially when it supposedly has such few miles.
  3. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the suggestion. guess i will sign up, there. which is another thing about the low miles. i was thinking the same thing. yet why go with such low miles when people with higher mileage get the same amount this guy was asking for, $3500? and its not like the bike was kept real clean or anything. it really did look like a bike just sitting around outside a bit. the seat, plastics, rubber, screws, bolts, etc....all seem "new." like a 7,000 mile bike

its not "worn"

hmm? i could have the bike looked over if truly curious. won't bother with the seller, a deal is a deal. if the bike runs well for a couple years and 20,000 miles, good enough for me. and i am most likely just obsessing a little, now. but if thier is a way to verify mileage then yes, i would be interested.

should be able to plug into the ECU and read it, no?

can ask on the FZ6 forums :D
  4. ktmdirtybiker

ktmdirtybiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure how it works on you bike but on my bike all the data is on the ecu not stored on the cluster.
    The cluster was replaced on my f8gs after a crash and the guys at the shop said it is a plug and play install.
    It read just fine when powered up the first time.
    Hope this helps.
  5. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Let's see a picture.
    This sounds strange.

Can you rev the bike past 12k?

Mine cuts out around 14.200 or so.
  6. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have not been past 10k yet but will be glad to do so at any given time today!! :deal

it's just daylight out now and i have looked at the bike. it seems....nice. checked the oil and its clean and the level is where it was when i bought the bike. it seems solid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clean bike, apparently
    [​IMG]
  7. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    My bet is that the whole front end has been replaced. Likely crashed and rebuilt at some time, seen similar before. If your happy with the bike, then no worry, but when you go to sell it you may have problems.

But then again, it could be something else entirely.
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I agree, that color looks funny.
    Also, I think the rear grab rails were only black here in EU.

Also, the seat on the S2 should look a bit different, I think you have
    the seat from the S1.

And no doubt about it, that's a FZ6R/XJ6/Diversion dash.
  9. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pegs aren't stock either. Did the seller tell you anything about modifications done to the bike?

In the US, I'm pretty sure the grab rails were red

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
  10. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    the color is the camera's fault. its almost ten years old and not terribly accurate. the bike looks uniformly "red" in person. don't know about the seat but you could be right, i suppose?

whatever the case the frame is tight with no scars and all seems screwed together well. i'm just back from a 100 mile trek around L.A. freeways, city streets, pacific coast highway. the bike is what i'd call "perfect" so i am not going to concern myself so much with what it may have gone through in its past

wrong instrument cluster or not the motorcycle seems spot on. had no performance issues in the heat today and just goes and goes

i am gonna trust its goodness, spotty history and some possible repairs in its past notwithstanding. it seems "all there" and is safe on the road with great performance. think i will leave it at that for now

but you know on a side note, the horn does not work. it "taps" so i know the wiring is good, but the horn does not blow. if rebuilding a front end i mean, the horn is right there! you'd think it would get replaced but who knows!

he did not. he was the second or third owner or who knows? had the bike less then a year but said he didn't ride it because he moved and does not like riding freeways on account it freaks him out
  11. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I wonder if your rev counter needle can go over 13k tho.. but 13k is a perfect place to
    shift when you're winding it out (not much power after 12,5k) so you're good. :)

...if the thing is accurate.
  12. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    you know Cortez "winding it out" is something i am going to have to get used to before i can report back on that. i wanted to today but stopped short at 10,000-11,000 rpm. i am just not used to the sound, the fury, the speed.....when i was riding today i remember thinking "what do they mean this bike is gutless under 8000rpm?!" it seems fine, and above it seems insane!

to me, at least

pretty sure it's accurate. i am idling smooth at just over 1200rpm it would seem and i am no expert but the tach needle rises as speed rises in a uniform manner and nothing seems off or strange

dude, if i can ever bring myself to get to 13,000rpm i will post back. but as of right now it just seems....much!
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Just take it easy.
    The kick at 8k is nice, but there's another kick at 10k and you have to
    be ready for that.

It's gutless compared to other similar bikes, after riding the Ninja 650 twin
    the FZ6 feels like it's 400cc, not 600 at low revs. You'll figure it out when
    you try out a few other bikes.
  14. /dev/null

/dev/null Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you're referring to the FZ6 and not the FZ6R? The FZ6 is just shy of 100hp if I recall, but the FZ6R (the only one they sell today) is detuned down to 70 or so. I've ridden the current Kawi 650 twin but have never ridden FZ6 or FZ6r.

To the OP...if you're certain the tires are original (and are close to death), I'd say it's a good bet it hasn't been screwed with much. Most sport-oriented tires are completely dead around 7k. Buddy of mine did have his cluster replaced under warranty (not a Yamaha) and the new one came reset to zero with an extra mileage sticker on the frame.
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm talking about the FZ6 that we both own, we are discussing low
    torque at low revs compared to similar bikes, that we discussed at length
    in the FZ6 thread where 1 guy doesn't agree, but he never tried the 650R,
    or the Bandit 650, CBF600, Hornet 600 (Honda 599) etc..

100hp is 100hp, sure, when you wind it out, but at 3000-4000 revs, my
    Ninja 650R would lift the front wheel up in 1st gear while the FZ6 feels like
    it's got 1/3 the power there (I think it has like 24hp at 3000 or 4000 revs,
    I forgot).

Dudeclone of course doesn't feel that either since it's his first big bike.
  16. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    A twin of equal displacement builds torque much sooner / at lower RPMs than a four , although the peak amount will be similar. BIG BIKE?:lol3
  17. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    After riding small scooters, a 100hp bike is nothing to laugh about.
  18. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree , but we're talking MIDDLEWEIGHTS here.:deal
  19. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    We may be, but he isn't.
    It's a subjective thing.
  20. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    If this was my bike, I'd do everything in my power to figure out what happened and if was wrecked, how it was fixed.
    No way you want to find out after a shoddy part/weld/unfixed part gives way at 80mph. At least you should know what your risks are rather than living in ignorant bliss.

Just me though :deal