Ask Woody about your KTM 19/17 wheel set-ups

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Mar 5, 2009.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    refresh my memory on your current rim size,,,it had a 17/17 set up possibly 4.25 x17 on rear???

also are we using your wheels traded in as basis for building the new set?? ,,,,it makes about a $500 difference:wink:

woody

OBTW..there are no interference problems that i know of
  2. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    last time you wished for budget minded etc,etc,,,,and that's what ya got:wink:

i am the genie:thumb

you have three wishes....
  3. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    sticky where???

metzler Tourances
    conti TKC-80s
    avon Distanzias
    Pirelli Scorpians
    Heidenaus
    kendas:wink:
  4. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Hello Woody,
    From everything I've seen and heard, you are an awsome member of this forum.:clap

I now have a new-to-me 950 ADV and am looking seriously at the 19/17 set-up for my more on-road ryding... will keep the 21/18 set up for the "serious" tryiping in the dirt/gravel.

I've read a lot in here regarding the Caponord wheel set-up and as I want to go tubeless with superlaced spokes thsi seems like a good approach. I've price a set of rims on various Aprilia parts sites... not sure how you aource them?
    And big price/quality advantage to going with the Caponord set versus your "ground-up" building, assuming the same component quality of course??:huh

Inquiring minds want to know :D

BTW, I pm'd a couple of days ago but recognized that you are/were over in Germany sorting out (?) the Behr issue.

Best from just north of the border in SE Ontario,:freaky

PTC
  5. Wreckluse

Wreckluse Will work for beer

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,
    Stock is 3.5 x 17 and 5.0 x 17, Brembo 4 piston caliper, 320 mm disc.
    I will keep the stock wheels.

New wheels, 19/17 for dual sport, using existing brakes, with stock KTM hubs, cush on the rear, Excel rims. Could you also give me a cost to upgrade to billet hubs.

Thanks,
    Doug
  6. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hey guys why not talk to each other...????:dunno
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    roughly the billet set-up including sprocket carrier ends up circa $500 more..includes your choice of hub colors

the oem trick wheels are circa $1700-1800 depending on color...:thumbadd extra for sealing....OBTW,,the last 6 months have us fine tuning and prepping the Excel rims a little more ...the last year or so we noticed that the finish on the inside had more aggressive serrations on the lips ,,,divots where the rim was welded together,,clearly someone else is building these rims ...so we have traced real slow leaks to these areas which we prep ,,leaks are zero now,,,seems to be working...:thumb
    woody
  8. PremieRacing

PremieRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there any way that 1.85x19 and 3.00x17 would work for 990 Adv.?

What is the worst that can happen if I manage to fit 110 or 120 front and 150 at the back? Is it possible?

I saw your rim_tire chart but I had to ask :)
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    well you would certainly limit yourself to what tires you can use...what is your idea for these rim sizes,,,and their intended use :dunno

then i can possibly give you a better answer..:thumb

woody
  10. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    You are certainly in the minority; I saw a poll somewhere on 9x0 rim colour choices - black/silver was 10/1 ? I think the silver 03 KTM adventures are one of teh few of those bikes that look better with silver
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    well,,this tire chart is not the bible,,,but it does run pretty close to conventional wisdom and wheel/rim and tire manufacturers recommendations....there are reasons why low aspect ratio tires need wider rim widths...for stability and not having the tire tuck under when cornering....

FYI what could work are std 100% aspect ratio tires like a 110/100 or A 150/90 OR 100 FROM 70% 0N DOWN YOU'LL NEED EVER WIDER RIMS TO HAVE THINGS WORK...:thumb

ps..you still didn't tell me the intended use or rationale for attempting this set-up

WOODY

12. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Road of course!
  13. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this is the place for this but...

My brother has a stock 2006 950 SM and wants to find some 50/50 DS tires for it for when we go for some dirt and gravel road rides.

Any idea what is out there that would fit the stock rims?

Thanks
  14. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    well that's a tough question to answer mainly because they are few and far between....

right off the bat ya have Avon's sm Distanzias 120/70x17 front and 150 or160/60x17 rear,,,they have chunky big knobs but more street oriented

i am inclined to go mix and match tires ..ie BWOE Brigestone has some neat 50-50 tires with semi aggressive tread patterns,,,but in rear tire size of say 130/80x17 flip the rotation of the tire and it'll work just fine up front on your 3.5x17 rim..

hope that get's ya started:super
    woody
  15. Trevor

Trevor n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody

I have a 2001 KTM 640 LC4 supermoto (European model) and have been searching and searching trying to find out whether it is possible to buy or build an off-road set of wheels for this bike. Everyone seems to want to go to more street orientated wheels but there is little info about switching the other way.

Can you just build up some LC4 Adventure wheels, pop them on and off you go? Is it possible to have two sets of wheels that are interchangeable without needing to change brake callipers? I've read somewhere that the spokes hit the calliper... My mind has turned to mush from days spent on the net trying to find out some more info so I cant remember where I read that.

The reason I ask is a friend is planning a trip through Morocco in his Landie and I would love to tag along on my bike but the sm wheels would be a nightmare in the sand :D ...

Cheers
    Trevor
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Trevor,,,
    email woodyswheelworks@gmail.com attn Zach he can help on this ,,i'm out in the california desert Rawhydw XX challenge:thumb

tell him to post the answer here too:thumb

woody
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  17. Trevor

Trevor n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks will do
  18. hitmike

hitmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to try out my new wheels yesterday. I will post better pictures soon (this is just a cell pic) but I wanted to say how beautiful they are and that the handling is nothing short of amazing!! Thanks Woody and thanks Zach.

Mike

[​IMG]
  19. dsavage

dsavage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody told me it would make a big difference in the handling of my SER and boy is he right. I just converted from the stock 21/18 wheels to a new set of Woody's 19/17. I'd read all the posts and even went to his plant in Denver last month as I was passing through town to see his operation and especially how they seal the wheels.

I'm a natural skeptic and couldn't believe that a simple change in wheel size could make that much of a difference in braking and road handling. I put these 19/17 wheels on yesterday and did a 100 mile loop this morning on some of the best roads in Texas. Amazing difference. The bike feels like it is a super-moto-dirt-bike on steroids. I'm an old guy but with this change I'm riding like I did several years ago.

Don't want to sound like I'm a shill for Woody's but all the claims he has made about the difference in ride-ability by changing wheels is no B.S. It's all true. Try it for yourself. I'm damn glad I did. By the way, look in the flea market if you want to buy a set of 21/18 used wheels. I just put mine up for sale.
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody, can you point us to any of your customers who've fitted 19/17s to a 640 in any denominations Adv, SMC, Enduro or SXC? There seems to be a bit of a lack when searching.