[ADVdepot] Globescout Panniers & Adventure Equipment, Official Thread

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by F800 Rob, Jan 31, 2013.

1. madpuma13

madpuma13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the new panniers come in?! Waiting as patiently as I can :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  2. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Not yet. We're still waiting on the call from our customs broker with a delivery date.
  3. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They posted pics of the cut out GSW bags. When can we order????
  4. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    We're just finalizing the pricing on them now. The first folks to know when they become available will be subscribers to the Globescout newsletter on our site.
  5. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a subscriber so I should be good. Either way, hold me a set!

Edit: According to the Globescout thread, they are only considering the 45l size at this time and are waiting to see what the demand for the 35s will be. Can you please push them to offering some 35s at introduction? I'd prefer the 35s, as I'm sure many people will who don't want huge bags. There is a reason all the major brands offer different bag sizes, even in the cut versions, and they all sell.
  6. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    I'll ask, but it's not likely until the end of the year. Keep in mind that the 45L special set is more narrow than the Touratech 38/45L setup.
  7. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But still wide at a bit over 40 inches. 35s would be bit under 36 inches which would be badass.

I really like the Globescouts but they need to give the consumers what they want. Nolan has been available for a while with different sizes. If I had to guess, Id say Touratech will have some out soon too. Its not like the process is any different to cut out the 35l box vs the 45l so this seems a bit strange we have to beg. Not to mention they are being more or less made to order anyway and are selling every set made its a no brainer. They need to understand this. You're our voice. Maybe a poll or something to guage interest?
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    As much as I would like to get Globescouts they won't give the S10 the time of day, so will going with the other company that does cutout panniers for my bike in 3 sizes.
  9. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I see where you're coming from, the S10 doesn't have near the following the GS does. Simple business says you should go after your biggest profits first. With the new GS and the KTM coming around, not to mention them ramping up production on previous bikes, it makes sense to put the S10 on the back burner for a bit. With that said, I feel your pain. Still, it doesn't make sense to not offer bags in various sizes considering they already make all the bags in those sizes and the cut out is no different on any size therefore not requiring any new tooling or anything. It's simply a matter of policy at that point which frankly doesn't make sound financial sense.
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The S10 isn't as popular as the GS but it is still selling in decent numbers and Globescout is the only company that seems to think there's no money to be made in making products for it. I'm guessing that they are a very small operation...
  11. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    They are a small operation. That's evident in the attention to detail in their boxes.
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Go ahead, rub it in.... :cry :rofl
  13. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Duly noted. I'm in active discussions with the folks at Globescout about a 35L set. I'm optimistic that it will happen somewhat soonish. The first (and perhaps the second) shipments will be all 45L.

You'd be looking at just a smidge over 36", BTW. (10CM narrower, which is 3.93")

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the, "no products for it". Here is a Globescout pannier kit for the S10: http://advdepot.com/globescout-world-class-pannier-kit-super-tenere.html By your logic, we're also ignoring the F800GS and the Tiger 800, and that is clearly not the case.

I actually *have* and F800GS, and no one would like to see a notched Globescout kit for it more than I would, but it's a matter of priorities, and priority is to create a kit (from scratch, mind you) for the best selling adventure bike in the world.

Globescout is not Touratech. There are less than half a dozen people that make these boxes. The US importer (us) is just three people - all part time.
  14. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So if this is the case, approximately how long would this be? Judging by your current shipment schedule, wouldn't that be 3 months out at the very least? Or in other words, the end of the riding season before we could get our hands on some? That doesn't make sense to me. I just don't see how building a few of the 35s along with the 45s, (especially if you already have two buyers stating they would buy today if it was an option) would slow anything down or make any sense.

This certainly answers that question. Then again, it also more or less proves my point that these bags are basically being made to order at this point so why not offer what buyers want if it's not creating any more / different work?
  15. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    I'm really not certain. Literally, we've been trading emails back and forth today. I just received finalized pricing on the sets in general.

Keep in mind that it's not as easy as just lopping off a few CM's per pag. All of the alloy that bags are constructed out of are laser cut to specification, then welded together. There needs to be a program for it, then it needs to go to the subcontractor, plates need cut, shipped, received, etc. It's a bit more of a process than folks realize, unfortunately.

That said, they were able to turn around the 28L pannier quickly based upon my order, so I'm optimistic it's sooner.

That's note quite a correct assumption. This order (the one that was due in last week :cry) was actually ordered at the end of April. This next order will be placed in the next day or so. It's a few weeks to complete the entire order, and then a few more to ship them over by boat as air is way to expensive - $200 more per set.

A better way to describe it is that we're ordering to stock, and just selling through them very rapidly. We could probably sell through double the quantity that we've been ordering, but its A) still of a bit of an unknown as far as how many to order, in what colors, etc and B) pretty damn scary as we're well into the 5 digits for each shipment of a a few pallets.

Sorry to get all businessy, but I hope that bit of transparency helps somewhat.
  16. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate "businessy" as it does help explain what's going on. I still feel the 35s need to get out ASAP and frankly I believe they will be a bigger seller than the 45s. Look at older GSs. I don't have specs, but I see far more midsize boxes mounted on them than I do the large 40+liter sizes. Capacity is nice, but it's really too much for most uses and just makes the bike unnecessarily wide.
  17. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    Hi Rob,
    I just receive the Hepco & Becker racks for the 1190 today!.
    Witch panniers do I need to order??????
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    My apologies, the standard set dropped off my radar due to the width so I didn't think about it when I posted. Hope they hire more people! :deal
  19. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone orders from Australia. I like the look of these but I think they would work out very expensive. Shipping on the website was over $200 then you would need to add gst as they are over the $1000 limit and the dollar isn't looking so hot at the moment.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.
  20. Nanook

Nanook Shawn Morton

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob
    Any word on the shipment? Do you have an ETA and ship out date?