SpotWalla - NEW ADV Location Page

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Tradey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    SpotWalla has setup a Location Page for ADV members (see below).

The location map allows members with Spot devices to share their current location on a global map. This is a handy tool when you are travelling to locate fellow inmates in your vicinity and to co-ordinate hook ups when on the road.

Inmates need to setup a free SpotWalla account (a superior website to the official SPOT service) and join the Location Page via the home page under 'Active/Future Location Pages' using the password: advspot

Suggestion: use your ADV nic as your SpotWalla nic.

http://spotwalla.com

The external link for the ADV Location page is:

http://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=45
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I just set myself up on that page, but unless I missed something your "nic" name can only be 3 letters or numbers? I used "Blu", but that isn't very efficient for all the various screen names on ADV?
  3. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    You can only have 3 characters as your location ID tag as this is a system limitation on the SpotWalla map, however, if you signed up to SpotWalla using your ADV nic, when someone rolls their mouse over your 'tag' your nic will show up.

Then they are able to identify who you are and contact you via ADV.
    Reeds Moto likes this.
  4. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    I'm signed up.

One thing I thought would be a good idea would be a smart phone app (iPhone, Blackberry and Droid) that would allow me to track the other riders in my group from the smartphone. On a recent trip, I was trying to locate my riding partner but was unable to do so on the iPhone due to the amount of things on the spotwalla page. The app would allow riders in a group to register the ride and show the location of each rider on a simplified map. How about something like that?

John
  5. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Its pretty cool that SpotWalla is doing this for free.

There is another company (called Hawketracking) that sells this service, although I'm sure theirs is way more customizable. - http://hawketracking.com/

The wife of the guy that developed it is on TWF (TwoWheelFemales) and they have their own tracking setup for the ladies on that site.
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google Latitude is one option.

https://www.google.com/latitude

Jamie
  7. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    That's an option. Does it require cell phone access though? When riding the TAT last summer, cell phone access wasn't always available.
  8. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Google Latitude uses AGPS (Assisted GPS) on smartphones using cell towers to triangulate an approximate location which is fine when you have coverage, but next to useless in most second and third world countries and a lot of unpopulated USA, Canada and Australia.

There is no 2 way satellite technology in these devices, so a Spot is a far superior device when you need total, accurate and reliable coverage.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Hey, you're right. Mine shows up as Jamie Z. I don't use a Spot, for what it's worth. I use Google Latitude on my phone. Free.

Jamie
  10. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    just joined the walla group, I'm Oly, heading back to mexico after a shock swap out, see youse on the road!
  11. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Great utilization of SPOT and ADV!

Now this is ADV in real-time!
  12. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Added myself (as TaB)
  13. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I would suggest that this be turned of when not in use.
    Thieves could just as easily use the data to locate your
    home, or where you work, and know when your there at
    either or not and make themselves right at home or 'borrow'
    you bike etc when your at work.

Just a thought.
  14. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    SpotWalla only picks up your last known location off your official SPOT account and if you've made that public you are in the same boat. A simple solution is to turn your Spot device off before you get to your front door, then any potential thieves will just need to do some door knocking first.
  15. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but would it be possible to set up an email address to point your spot to that could automatically post an SOS message somewhere on this board so that when it was received it could be reposted on the regional forum for where the SOS message came from so that guys that lived in that region could help out. Does anyone know what I mean?
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    While I suppose in theory this could be done, the probability is so minuscule that I'm not worried about it. I'm much more interested in the small chance that someone on ADV will see my position close to them and send me a message to meet for a beer. Or some random ADV member could show up at my house sometime. I think that's far more likely.

Same goes for those who obscure their license plate number in internet photos. I'm going to guess that there isn't a single documented instance of this being used for nefarious purposes, though in theory it could be, yet people still cover up their numbers in fear.

Anyway, out of many tens of thousands of ADV members, 17 have signed up so far. If a thief is trolling that map for a potential victim, he'd better off look for work elsewhere.

Jamie
  17. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    That is a good idea and could be a handy feature that would work in more populated countries like North America. Your Spot account does allow multiple email addresses for sending OK and HELP messages. As long as you sent an OK message once you were 'back on the road' so this called off any further assistance that was on the way, it would be successful.

Bearing in mind you are only going to be pushing the HELP button when you are outside mobile phone range and one of the problems would be co-ordinating different offers of assistance that could be launched as a result. The last thing you would want is someone turning up and getting to your location to find you've fixed the problem or someone else has helped you out and you've moved on...

In more remote countries like Australia, South America and Africa there are few and far ADV members who could offer assistance this way. But in reality it is the '911' emergency button that is the real benefit here in this device.

During my North America trip of six months and 45,000km I had my HELP button sequenced with a message for my co-ordinator to call Roadside Assistance with my location and this was only going to be used when outside Cell coverage.

In the USA with 300 million people you are generally not far from help. I would be curious to hear from other ADV Spot users their experiences using the HELP feature.
  18. redpillar

Oddometer:
    I am thinking more in terms of a 911 call from the spot, and travelling off road. Especially if you were travelling alone and from somewhere else. Getting help from people with some local knowledge could be critical and may be faster than who ever your spot contacts.
  19. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    The SOS/911 button is not programmable, the Spot system uses the International Emergency Rescue Coordination Centre who contacts the nearest emergency service if you are in your home country. If outside your country of citizenship the call is routed differently according to that country's foreign emergency policy and this can involve an Embassy or Consulate liasing with the local emergency service.

If you are that concerned about your well being then subscribe to the GEOS Search & Rescue service which might offer a more timely service. It is interesting reading the SOS testimonials on the Spot website - not one was outside a first world country ?

In my Spot profile I have a detailed description of me and my bike which will help the local authorities track me down. When travelling in second and third world country's do not expect a timely level of response, however be thankful they will at least find your remains !
  20. redpillar

Oddometer:
    Yes, now that I look at my account I see the first and second emergency contacts are phone numbers. I don't really trust my life to the 911 call, but I thought that if you were going to send a message you are probably more likely to get a response faster from concerned riders. I have seen it happen on here before.
    Third world countries are a different matter altogether.