VA - Obtain title with no MCO ...

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by alex3610, Dec 4, 2012.

1. alex3610

alex3610 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. Wondering if I am wasting my time here. Found a great deal on an XR650R, but it has no title and no Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Is there anyway I could somehow title this bike with just a bill of sale? Ultimate goal here would be to put on the baja designs kit, a plate, and dual sport this thing! Am I just dreaming?
    Thanks!
  2. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
  3. alex3610

alex3610 n00b

Oddometer:
    The SUT 1 form makes it sound like that is all you really need to title a bike with no MSO or Title. Very interesting. The form VSA86 doesn't really address this scenario as far as I can tell but this is very encouraging. Anyone here actually gone through this process before and been successful?
    Thanks for the reply!
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was it ever street legal...in VA? If so, you should be good to go! If not, when they check the data base and see it was for off road use only, then you will have problems.
  5. alex3610

alex3610 n00b

Oddometer:
    It's an XR650R, so never was street legal in VA. Bike was built in 2000. I would _assume_ the original MCO stated Off Road Use only, but how would VA know this? Or is this something they can easily tell just from the VIN? I've seen R's tagged on the street in this state before, so there has to be SOME way to make it work.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are dual sported new, in the dealer, before they are titled to the original owner. The XR650R is an off road bike to the DMV...unless it was titled as on road when new. I think some states you can do this after it is considered used but I'm sure VA isn't one of those states.
    Why doesn't the owner have the title? Did he/she say if it was a title or MCO that they used to have?

Personally, for me and a bike like that, no title/MCO, no deal...unless of course it's free! :D

Good luck!
  7. alex3610

alex3610 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not totally sure on the history of why there is no MCO. It's fairly obvious that this bike has lived off road since its birth in 2000, and through more than one owner it doesn't shock me as strange to not have that paperwork at this point. It's a good deal, but it isn't free, and I am definitely a bit apprehensive about this before i know what I am truly getting myself into. From other anecdotal evidence I've gathered, it seems like IF you had the MCO, it is simply a crap shoot whether your DMV will issue you a title or not. Since the MCO says off-road only they are not supposed to, but many DMV offices (apparently in the rural areas more so) don't seem to care or know any better and do it anyway. But not having that MCO could be a major stumbling block.
  8. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Last I checked VA was a title 4 title state. Meaning if it doesn't come with a title, you're out of luck and of course then you cant get it plated without a title either.

At least that's whatvinwas told at the DMV earlier this year.
  9. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Yes , I think its the 10th digit in the VIN # that gives it away. .I was gonna plate my Honda 450x, got the paper work to start on it. Its a long involved process of documenting the changes made , sending in pictures of the mods. Then having a state trooper come out & inspect . More paper work & so on so forth. I beleive they closed this loophole , but not sure. Call DMV & ask if this can still be done. All Offroad bikes from Japan have this # in the VIN. European bikes only say Motorcycle & dont have this letter in the VIN which makes it easy to get a plate. Then you just have to get it inspected. That siad , I have a freind who got a YZ 250 2T plated w ease somehow at a country store DMV a couple of years ago.
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure if they are aware they'll be checking.
    I believe one person(in another state that is as strict as VA) placed some sticker or other paperwork over the "Off road use only" on the MCO and got away with it. :evil
    There were two, three street legal XRR's for sale here not too long ago but they probably weren't as good a price.
  11. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    I had a tagged XRR. I also tagged two DRZ's. I went in with my MCO or "Off road use only title" and made small chat. Walked out with my tags. :deal
  12. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I guess it's like anything else; it just depends who you end up talking to when you go to the DMV and what kind of a mood they're in! :lol3

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.