Punched my left turn ticket

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by jtatknox, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jtatknox

jtatknox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Inexperienced rider, 1,500 miles total on an '84 BMW R65. I was riding in the city after dark, approaching a 4-way intersection traveling at 25 mph in 2nd gear. I observed a car coming the opposite direction waiting to turn left across my path of travel. I covered the brake, but he pulled out directly in front of me. I tried to initiate an emergency stop, but realized I would t-bone the oncoming vehicle if I didn't increase brake pressure. This caused the front wheel to lock up and I low sided on the right side, coming to rest in the intersection. I deadlifted the bike (never done that before!) and met the driver off to the side. He admitted fault and we exchanged contact and insurance information. "I didn't see you."

What I was wearing:

Whte Shoei RF-1100 with added 3M reflective striping
    Schott cafe racer jacket
    Forcefield sub4 back protector
    Forcefield knee guards
    Belstaff Trialmaster overpants
    Red Wing Gentleman Traveler boots

Injuries sustained:

Stiff neck
    Bruised right hip

Damage to motorcycle:
    Ground down right valve cover
    Scratched front and rear turn signals
    Scratched headlight
    Scratched brake reservoir and lever
    Scratched right bar end mirror
    Scratched front fender
    Scratched exhaust
    Scratched right shoulder of leather jacket
    Helmet did not impact pavement

I contacted my insurance company and reported the accident, then contacted his insurance to file a claim against his liability insurance.

I never thought I'd hear the words, "I didn't even see you.", but I did even though I was wearing very bright retroreflective striping. Now I am thinking: brighter headlights? Modulator?
  2. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people just don't pay any fucking attention (as we all know).

As far as visibility, you could have been wearing a giant pink penis costume on the back of a chartreuse rhinoceros with blinking titties and I'm guessing the asshole still wouldn't have seen you.
  3. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    At least you were properly dressed to avoid serious injury.
    I use a headlight modulator, but have no proof that it helps or hinders my safety. I also wear a white helmet and high-viz Aerostich RC suit.

You said that he was waiting to turn ...
    What was he waiting for?

Was another vehicle traveling just in front of you that may have impeded the driver's ability to see you?
  4. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    Yep you could catch yourself and bike on fire and people would still "not see you".

Going out to lunch last week had a douche pull right out in front of my friend driving his huge orange Ford Raptor. The thing is twice the size of most vehicles and ORANGE and it still happens.

Good idea with full gear ! Glad to hear it wasn't worse . Be safe
  5. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    Quite a descriptor!

Glad to hear you came out pretty much OK but sorry to hear of the mess it made of yr R65.
  6. jtatknox

jtatknox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was a van traveling in front of me at some distance, at least 5-10 car lengths. I saw him, so there's no reason he should not have seen me. I think he was trying to hot dog and flip a left turn the moment the van left the intersection. I spoke to him today and he indicated that his insurance company State Farm thinks it wasn't his fault because I was able to keep my bike from T-boning him! I filed a claim with State Farm today, hoping they pay up. I'm only looking for $300-$500 so I can buy some new ebay parts and rattle can the rest! I could take it to Bob's BMW and get a hefty dealer estimate.
  7. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had this EXACT thing happen, at least crash wise. Difference being the driver said she saw me and thought she had time to make it. I was crossing a huge patch of sopping wet leaves and never had a chance. Went down the same way, cant believe I didnt impact the car.

Verdict: Even though her dumbass told the cop "I saw him and went ahead anyways" it was 100% liability on my end because as far as the police and insurance companies were concerned it was a one vehicle accident. The cop told me if I had hit her it likely would have been her that was liable-- but then again, I couldve died, broken a leg, etc.

COMPLETE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT on all accounts.

Nothing came of it. I got screwed. Shes going to hell

Ride on! :freaky

EDIT:

I believe if you are to have any luck with this, the other driver will have to understand the situation, actually BE A GOOD PERSON and insist liability on his end. Or, simply ask him for the money that he knows he owes to you. $300-500 is alot to some...installments, whatever. Hopefully there are good people out there somewhere....

Very glad you made it out again and will live to ride again. It a situation like this, I now try to flash my highbeam like a strobe light 2-3 times. Havent been killed by an idiot yet, so I guess its working haha
  8. jtatknox

jtatknox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What if this happens in a car? Say the other driver crosses into your lane and you either swerve off the road or get hit head on. Is that also a one car accident?!
  9. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call a motorcycle attorney from a TV commercial. Those guys will only bother with it if they will make money (and they won't if you don't). Having an attorney involved will make State Farm pull their head out of their ass.
  10. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    A classic "SMIDSY"!

Glad you are in one piece.
  11. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    This is 205, but OP appears to be new here so I'm posting it anyway:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eqQBubilSXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a great video once you can get over the fact that everyone is driving on the wrong side of the damn road :D

Also, OP, keep pushing against the cager's insurance company. Whether you could've saved it or not, the car driver failed to yield.

Good choice on the gear, and glad you're OK.

And zippy is right--some people just don't pay attention. I've gotten SMIDSY'd on a clear day driving a white 10-ton delivery truck with the headlights on. ABS and modern brakes literally saved the passenger's life.
  12. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your crash Knox. Glad it wasn't worse.

bunghole thanks for the new sig line :lol3
  13. Brokein2

Brokein2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Glad you are OK....
  14. GSlite

GSlite Bothan spy

Oddometer:
    Best. Sig line. Ever.

OP, glad to hear you weren’t hurt too badly.
  15. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting back into motorcycling and pick up my bike this weekend. I've always worn protective gear, but since my last bike, there has been a lot of the high viz stuff hitting the market. That's what I'm getting for all my gear this time around. It never ceases to amaze me at the people that still wear black from head to toe. I see guys commuting to work with me in the morning (5 to 530 am). Once they pass me and get a few car lengths away, they just vanish. That single red light on the back isn't worth a whole lot.

My .025 cent
  16. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    You're lucky the driver stopped and admitted fault. Good on him. If you never made contact with his vehicle (sounds like you didn't) he could've just driven away and you'd be own your own.
  17. stretchmoney

stretchmoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whether or not the driver at fault saw you is of no consequence, they pulled in front of you against your right-of-way.
    If you get less than what you want from his insurance company, take your bike to a BMW dealer and let them price it up, they will write up a bill for 3 grand most likely. Then you can say "Hey, how about half of that? How's my first demand sound now, you cheap asshats?"
    And in the future, when crossing intersections, stay far behind the car in front of you, or far enough left that you can see the car that may be about to turn into you to beat the car behind you: the only other thing they are seeing.
    I do this thing whenever people start "leading" to far out in the intersection-I swerve towards them so I am facing them, flash lights, tap the horn, sometimes wave if it really looks like they are not seeing me, or if they just seem like the kind of dicks that pull that move in the hopes that oncoming traffic stops to let them through. Which is every intersection all day everyday around Boston.
  18. stretchmoney

stretchmoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And yeah it did sound like a good person, so just get mad at his insurance company, not him.
  19. jtatknox

jtatknox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New desktop background...
  20. jtatknox

jtatknox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not that I can say it actually WORKS given present circumstances, but the 3M retroreflective striping tape (silver 2" and black 1/4") is tits when it comes to visibility. I can't believe how bright the stuff is in headlights, which is why I couldn't believe he failed to see me.

"Were you pulling out of that gas station?" Good guess! Want to play again?!