Delorme Inreach feedback?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tremmy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Interested in purchasing the Inreach. . . Does anyone know if it works with an Itouch? I know they have an IOS version which I assume works with an Itouch???
  2. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
  3. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    Just purchased the inReach that pairs with the PN60w GPS. I went w/ the $9.95/mo. safety plan since, after much thought and discussion with the SO, I decided that I only need:

• SOS capability
    • Messaging capability to her cell phone
    • "Locate" ability from the DeLorme web application in the event that I'm a couple of days late to dinner.
    The SOS capability isn't testable but I tested the messaging and "Locate" function today and both work fine. Both of us now feel better about my solo riding, which increases the probability that I'll go out more often.

Edit 8/31/2012

While the "Locate" function works from the main explore.Delorme page as well as the MapShare page, the MapShare page will not display any locate points or messages to the user. I haven't heard back from DeLorme Tech Support in over a week so I've pretty well given up on MapShare. The master web function displays everything, however, so I'll be giving my SO access to that page rather than the MapShare page.

One observation - when running the InReach paired to the GPS the GPS battery lasts about 1/2 as long as it normally does when run solo. Good excuse to upgrade the regulator/rectifier on the XR650L to a Mosfet unit and to install an Eastern Beaver power distribution solution in order to run the GPS off of the bike's electrical system.

Edit 9/10/12

DeLorme Tech Support was able to replicate the MapShare issue that I described - Woo Hoo! It's an honest-to-gosh bug! Hope that they get a fix into a subsequent MapShare release sometime soon 'cause MapShare is actually kinda' neat.

Another interesting "feature" is that if someone is using MapShare or the main web app to locate you via the "Locate" feature and your GPS is paired to the inReach, you must reply to the "Locate" request through your GPS. Your reply isn't necessary if the inReach is on but your GPS is off or un-paired. That means that if you're dead or unconcious or can't operate your GPS to reply then you can't be located, unless of course the battery on your GPS runs out, the GPS shuts itself off and the inReach still has adequate battery life. I'm not sure how I feel about this particular feature....
  4. Nesurfer99

Nesurfer99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So this may be a bit thick, but if I pair the inreach with my android will I get GPS coverage via the inreach? Specifically, I'm going to Baja in October and I know that when I go out of the country the GPS on my phone basically doesn't work. Will the inreach fix that?
  5. Thebes

Thebes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The delorme droid ap uses the inreach unit's gps. It might be able to use the phone's too, I haven't tried. I haven't looked at the Mx delorme maps, but the local ones are as good as anything else I've seen. There's a base map which is more detailed than Garmin's, and there are detailed maps you can select and download (via wifi is recommended)- I think New Mexico was about 800mb and in around 5 regional chunks, roughly, to give you an idea of its data needs.

I've had my inReach for a few days, its tracked well in the cage for testing. I've not had any signal problems during testing with sending or receiving messages. Looks very well built. Seems to work equally well on its back or upright. Its chunkier than it looks in pictures. It's the blue text version and syncs ok with my Vz Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but I have to turn off bluetooth on the phone and turn it back on each time I want to sync or the app won't find the inReach, so long as I do that no problems at all.

I DID have some issues activating it, and customer service was slow, poor via email but when I waited in queue for 20 minutes on the phone I eventually got a very helpful native English speaker. It seems the blue text droid/iphone models need a firmware update... shame it took two people and an hour of my time to learn that, but once I did it was pretty straightforward- firmware update requires (included) usb cable and Mac or Windows, they emailed a link with excellent instructions and a download.
  6. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    TTT

I need to cary one of these or a SPOT.

I like the idea of two way messaging, be very handy feature. Does it work well for those who have used it?

Anyone own both units able to compare pros / cons?
  7. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Tool. Works well when we camp in isolation. I turn the plan up for more messages when out long. It's not as easy to use.It does work well. What I haven't done is txt to another inreach. I imagine we would have to synch up call back numbers while in cell area to get the dynamically allocated phone number to txt to.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The inReach-to-inReach SMS messages do not use land-based Cellular services. The message is sent to your name@inreach.delorme.com address you set when you activated the inReach. You just need to share your address with other inReach users so that they can put it in their contacts list. The message will come to your Smartphone via the inReach Bluetooth pairing - no cellular connection required.

Cheers,
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I've used/have all of the SPOT devices. The only reasonable comparison would be between the SPOT Connect and the inReach Smartphone.

I would go through the specifics but I'll get to the point. There is no comparison, the inReach actually works and that goes double for the Smartphone app [Earthmate]. If you compare equivalent services (subscriptions), the inReach is only slightly more costly/yr. But, you get two-way messaging AND true world-wide service.

DeLorme currently has a $75 Rebate on the inReach until 31 Dec 2012. That make the inReach cost a wash in my book.

I just rode 1350mi with Tracking set to every 10min and there were NO missed location points - and I hit some really bad weather going from my home to Los Angeles, CA, which I thought might disrupt the satellite connectivity.

The only nit I have with the Messaging Service is that when I send a SMS message (uplink) to someone it only takes about 20sec to hit the addressee's phone. But, it seems to take (limited testing so far) about 20min to receive a reply after they hit the send button on their phone.

Cheers,
  10. sumwon

sumwon I was told there would be snacks

Oddometer:
    How do you get the rebate, I don't see it on the website?
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I found it at GPSCity.com

Cheers,
  12. sumwon

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot. :clap
  13. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    would any of you fine folk with InReach devices be willing to share your Mapshare pages so I can see a few different ones. I really want to ditch my Spot 1 (which has been undeniably reliable) so I can have the 2 way messaging and coveage offered by the InReach. My only hesitation is that Spotwalla seems so much better for sharing my tracking.
    thanks Get Bent for sharing yours, I'd like to see a few more examples if I could

Thanks
  14. sumwon

Oddometer:
    I finally got a good chance to try out the tracking on a trip to AZ, here is a link to my MapShare data:

password = password

[Click link] MapShare

For those interested in signal strength, the inReach was sitting in the center console cup holder of the car the whole trip. Seems to have done pretty well. :D
  15. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Map share works well from this end. Thank you for posting it. I see you were speeding a bit.
    I'm surprised there aren't more postings about the Inreach, it offers much more than the Spot in my very biased opinion.
  16. duncanmac

duncanmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After my research, it was a lay down in favour of the Inreach as compared to the Spot. The reasons are the true global satellite coverage and the TWO-WAY messaging capability.

However........

I ordered my unit on the internet, as the Australian supplier was charging like a wounded bull. It was delivered to a friend in the USA who brought it out for me. So far so good.

Then I went onto the DeLorme website to register the unit and get my plan up and running, which is where the fun and games started. When I told the computer I lived in Australia, it told me I had to have an Australian plan and redirected me to a crowd called Pivotel. I found that everything from connection to plans were considerably more expensive and, in particular the plans offered less by way of number of messages and tracking points as offered in the USA plans. (Canadians, I hear your cries as well.)

'Stuff that for a joke' was my immediate response. The system is global and wireless and so apart from GST there should be no differential in cost of delivery. I emailed Pivotel and put the case to them and they gave me some nonsense answer which actually insulted my intelligence. I advised them I was NOT going to contribute to their super profits or subsidise their inefficient management practices, as the case may be. I then emailed DeLorme and I wish to give them a thumbs-up. They answer emails.

Their initial response was it was an Australian delivered unit and therefore had to have an Australian plan. The Lord be praised, my unit was delivered to an address in North Carolina. The next trick was they wanted a credit card with an American address. Ok.... I called one of my Mastercard providers (Australian) and said: 'I would like to change my address to the USA'. To my surprise and delight it was all done over the phone. That is first class customer service.

Emailed DeLorme who spoke to their computer and the next day I was able to set up my USA plan, which is quite reasonable.

How is it working?

Tracking is fine. Pairing to my iPhone, no problems. Sending and receiving SMS' works best with my USA, Australian and European connections, although it can be slow sometimes. I haven't yet tried the email messaging. I am still on my original batteries and have knocked up about ten hours.

All in all, acknowledging that my experience is limited, I am happy to recommend the Inreach, not the least because support from DeLorme is good. However, one needs to be able to access USA pricing, otherwise it is very expensive.
  17. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    Owned a SPOT2 for 6 months or so..It got the job done but there is always that sense of wonder as it is a one way line to help. What got me more interested in looking for alternatives was I headed out riding one day and everything on my spot looked fine. Lights blinking showing I was transmitting a solid signal. 10 hour ride in the mountains and not 1 of the signals I thought was being transmitted made it to my Dad who follows me when I'm out alone. Needless to say we talked about all the things that were wrong with the design. After learning about the different types of satellite "Constellations" and about 2 way transmissions I purchased an Inreach. One trip was all it took side by side with the SPOT to see which unit is more advanced. Sending a detailed text from the middle of nowhere and getting a response relatively fast puts all my family's mind at ease.
  18. cabezagrande

cabezagrande magically delicious

Oddometer:
    I used the InReach in Oct-Nov of '12 on a 5,500 mile loop in southern SA to Tierra del Fuego. The Spot satellite network made the InReach the only choice as Spot simply does not work in the far south.

The device was great--I camped 2/3 of the nights and there was no internet so it was my only way to communicate--so text/email functionality via my Android device was a great thing. On that note, I never had any issues with pairing with my Android device (Google Tablet).

Battery life is OK with Lithium Ion and horrible (1.5 days) with lousy South American batteries. The device does work while within a pocket or bag--I kept mine in my Camelbak as I was afraid of the 'in trouble and not on my bike' scenario.

Maps/tracking features are great--nice that the family could see where I was and 'click' to get a GoogleEarth type experience and virtually see what I saw that day.

Overall--big fan of the device. As others mentioned the plan is a bit spendy. When I returned I took the plan down to the min level. Still carry it on solo rides or when backcountry but I don't need all the text messages and tracking--it is just there as an emergency tool.
  19. Ashalina

Ashalina . Supporter

Oddometer:
    An updated version of the Delorme inReach is coming in April. This device will have an integrated screen and keyboard which eliminates the need to pair the device to a cell phone.

Details are limited at this point but what we can see thus far is promising.

Expect prices to come down on the existing inReach models to come down soon.
  20. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds good. Mine may be for sale soon then.