R1200GS: Galfer brake upgrade packages

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Renazco Racing Store, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Renazco Racing Store

Renazco Racing Store Parts, Gear & Such

Oddometer:
    It was time to upgrade the brakes on our R1200GS Adventure - but, of course, that became an exercise in deciding what parts would go where, and which pads to use on which end.

The result? We've assembled the most commonly-requested Galfer components into individual packages (less head-scratching for you) and worked out some pretty sweet pricing! Our catalog prices are already 5% off MSRP, but you get to take advantage of the "ADV" coupon code at checkout... so that's <b>15%</b> in savings before you even figure in FREE continental United States shipping (usually in the range of $15). Non-CONUS addresses will be quoted shipping based on your needs.

So, if it's time to upgrade your sad, thin pads and warped stock rotors, now's the time - we'll assemble similar packages for other bikes as interest demands.

<a href="http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.cfm?action=viewdetails&itemid=538854" target="_new">Package 1 - Black:</a> Galfer wave rotors, front and rear, with semi-metallic carbon (Black) pads all around. Normally $734.63, we list the set for $697.90 - use your 10% off code to bring the price down to $624.44 and we'll pay shipping.

<a href="http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.cfm?action=viewdetails&itemid=538855" target="_new">Package 2 - Green:</a> Galfer wave rotors, front and rear, with Kevlar/organic (Green) pads all around. Normally $759.15, we list the set for $721.19 - use your 10% off code to bring the price down to $645.28 and we'll pay shipping.

<a href="http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.cfm?action=viewdetails&itemid=538856" target="_new">Package 3 - Gold:</a> Galfer wave rotors, front and rear, with sintered (Gold) pads all around. Normally $773.52, we list the set for $734.84 - use your 10% off code to bring the price down to $657.49 and we'll pay shipping.

<a href="http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.cfm?action=viewdetails&itemid=538857" target="_new">Package 4 - Green/Black:</a> Galfer wave rotors, front and rear, with Green front pads and Black rear. Normally $750.97, we list the set for $713.42 - use your 10% off code to bring the price down to $638.32 and we'll pay shipping.

<a href="http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.cfm?action=viewdetails&itemid=538858" target="_new">Package 5 - Gold/Black:</a> Galfer wave rotors, front and rear, with Gold front pads and Black rear. Normally $763.17, we list the set for $725.01 - use your 10% off code to bring the price down to $648.69 and we'll pay shipping.

<a href="http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.cfm?action=viewdetails&itemid=538859" target="_new">Package 6 - Gold/Green:</a> Galfer wave rotors, front and rear, with Gold front pads and Green rear. Normally $771.35, we list the set for $732.78 - use your 10% off code to bring the price down to $655.65 and we'll pay shipping.

For you non-12GS folks, if you're interested in a similar package be sure to PM with your bike's year/make/model and note how many front rotors it carries.
  2. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    What would you recommend for the 06 R1200GS with servo brakes?
    :ear
  3. Renazco Racing Store

Oddometer:
    Howdy, neighbor. Same as I'm putting on mine: wave rotors, front and rear, with Gold pads up front and Green in the back. The Gold pads give you "stop-right-NOW" action, and since the rear gets used so much more often than on a non-linked bike, the Green pads won't wear on the disc so much.
  4. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    package 6 then it looks like, sweet. I will get the order in early next week once I work out where they are going (send to shop, or try and do it myself :huh)

Thanks!

P.S Might need to schedule another date for my seat, been a few years and might need a little attention and maybe a reskin etc. :thumb
  5. Renazco Racing Store

Oddometer:
    :thumb Place your brake parts order any time - the online shop is always open!

Of course, as you know... for seats, get in the queue whenever you're ready at http://www.renazco.com/ordering_seats.cfm.
  6. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:

Will do, this will be a rebuild of the seat you did for me back in '07. It has seen a lot of use :D
  7. hilld

hilld riding isn't an addiction

Oddometer:
    Portland, OR - raingear or web feet required
    So what is the recommended pad combination for a 2006 GS Adventure (non ABS) so no linked brakes. About 20% off the time is off road on gravel roads and forest service trails.

Thanks,

Derek
  8. Renazco Racing Store

Oddometer:
    Safe to assume 1200 as opposed to 1150? No matter, really, as I still need to put 1150GS, KTM and a few other packages together. Just let me know the specifics.

Three considerations, really - are you happy with:

a) stopping power with the stock pads/rotor combination?
    b) pad wear? (which is probably a two-part question, given the difference in wear between front and back)
    c) rotor wear?

It's an interesting mix of issues, and depends on your riding style and budget. The black pads, in general, are basically upgraded OEM replacements. Gold pads are grabby, good for an aggressive rider, but are harder on rotors. Green is pretty aggressive, but actually easier on the rotors than Gold or Black - as a result, they wear quicker under heavy use.

The Green pads are great because they retain their stopping power under less than optimal (read: dirty and wet) conditions. This is because it's not necessary to get them warmed up before depending on them to give the rotor a good bite, so... they're fantastic for rear brakes that get short stabs of use in off-road situations.

In terms of rotor wear, the Galfer wave rotors will hold up under more trying circumstances much better than the OEM rotors, and they're designed to coexist peacefully with the Galfer pad compounds - result: longer life and better braking.
  9. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you put together a KTM Adventure brake package? There are alot of us out here you know. If you can,I'm in as soon as it's available.
  10. Renazco Racing Store

Oddometer:
    You got it. I'll work up some packages for the KTM models we've been equipping the most lately, first thing in the morning, and will keep a running tally <a href="http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602369" target="_new">in this thread</a>.
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Order placed!

Thanks guys!

:clap
  12. Renazco Racing Store

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  13. baldnugget

baldnugget Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What brake pad combination would you suggest for a 2008 R1200GSA?
  14. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I recommend the gold front and green rears.

15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    You guys still doing brake parts, my wave rotors and pad combo either did not get broken in correctly or something happened as they shudder and pulse now. tried sanding down the rotors with garnet paper to see if it was a residue issue, but seems more pad related, well that is my guess. so I need a new set of pads for the front. suggestions and pricing?

cheers :wave
  16. Renazco

Oddometer:
    Yeppers, still selling Galfer, check your PM for pricing. :wink:

17. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    sweet, Just sent ya a PM.

thanks James! :clap
  18. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  19. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Typically the rear rotor on R1200GS needs replacement well before the front ones do. Do you offer it and pads separately?
  20. Renazco

Oddometer:
    Absolutely :D PM me your addy and I'll forward pricing.