Does anyone have any info on how to get from LA to Big Sur riding dirt mostly?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Beedubyas, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    I want to do this so badly but just don't know where to start. Start in Hungry Valley??
  2. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    I don't have the wisdom of a lot of folks on here, but I am thinking you could incorporate Frazier park, Carrizo plain, Pozo and Hi-Mountain into the route.
  3. farrington300

farrington300 No wait....What?

Oddometer:
    I have done a little exploring up there. I really have not found too much north of SLO. It seems to me there are not too many ADV riders up there. I would love to have some good tracks for the central coast area, its my favorite place in CA. Coast Ridge Trail is a nice forest service road.
  4. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    welcome to adv now fill in you profile it's the best way to start... than you could tell us alittle about what rock you've been under... just passing thur... or do you live in soca

you sporting a gs... maybe a drz... you could impress with a se

planning to camp... like to drink beer...

there's not just one route and your a noob
  5. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sniffing my but, pics posted and info up.
  6. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    The hardest is finding a way from Gorman or Frazier park to SLO. I want to take as many dirt roads as possible, even sleep on them on the way.
  7. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:

Any way these all link together?
  8. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Not that hard to do so I'd say you're in luck!
  9. d_troy

d_troy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you come north through Gorman, the longest stretch of dirt will be through California Valley from 166 to 58, then west on 58 blacktop to Red Hill Road (dirt), west & south to Pozo, south from Pozo on Hi Mountain Road (dirt) which will take you to Lopez Drive & dump you into the town of Arroyo Grande. From there north on 101 to SLO & north on 1 to Big Sur is all blacktop until the Coast Ridge Road, which starts North of the SLO/Monterey County line on Hwy 1 & runs north in the Los Padres NF and terminates on the north end at Nacimiento/Ferguson Road (a MUST ride).

There is a little dirt up here, just nothing like the SW or Baja. Most backroads that go anywhere have been paved, the dirt is pinched by NF, military or private property gates.
  10. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! Thats great info, I'm going to check it out.
  11. UpST8

Oddometer:
    Carizzo Plains easily links to Pozo...go from 166, Soda Lake Road or Elk Horn Grade (better) to 58 (paved) go west to Pozo, Stop in the Saloon at the end of Pozo and just about across the street from there is Hi-Mountain.
  12. UpST8

Oddometer:
    I also know there is dirt in Cuddle Valley, but I haven't rode it yet. So, you could ride a bit parralleling Cerro Noroeste Rd to Quatal Canyon Rd (Dirt) to 33 (paved) North on 33 to 166 and through Carrizo Plain from there.

Let me know when you are going...maybe I will tag along :D
  13. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:

I think I need to really figure this out. So far I go up Gold hill road through Gorman, Stop at the bottom of Alamo mountain, go down miller jeep trail, find lockwood 4x4 trail then.....
  14. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI if you haven't done Miller yet. It's steep.
  15. Beedubyas

Beedubyas Noob4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    Done it many times. Love it.
  16. scotts_4x

scotts_4x lookin for a ride

Oddometer:
    Going up into pozo then back down to arroyo grande is going north to go back south, not sure if that matters or not. Keep us up to date I may join in on some parts. I can show you some nice twisties with some dirt and awesome scenery when in the templeton - paso robles area if you end up this way. Keep us posted.

-scott
  17. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    A long ride, but from Pozo head up to Parkfield, starting on 58 (no dirt AFAIK, but some nice narrow bumpy stuff on Bitterwater and Cholame Valley), then several miles of dirt towards Coalinga on the Parkfield-Coalinga Rd (Parkfield Grade). From Coalinga, back northwest on Los Gatos Creek Rd to Clear Creek, over to Idria and Panoche, back to Hwy 25 and LaGloria to 101, into Monterey on 68 and then back down 1 to Big Sur with a detour to take the old Coast Road just north of Bixby Bridge and then back to Hwy 1 before Big Sur. :D

-dman
  18. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    Old Coast Rd... a gorgeous bit of dirt was closed two weeks ago when we were up there. FYI !

Robert
  19. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Expect about 180 miles with no gas between Maricopa and Coalinga. Very nice ride. But maybe go through King and drop back to Fort Hunter Ligget on the other side of 101 and over to Big Sur through the Army base.