Kosovo & Albania

Discussion in 'Europe' started by alivfr750, Feb 8, 2013.

1. alivfr750

alivfr750 n00b

Oddometer:
    Pretty new to this site so please bear with me. Heading to the Balkans with some mates in June. Plan is down through Slovenia, Serbia heading towards Kosovo. Been to Slov, Croatia before so know there are not many probs associated with them, however was wondering what, there still are any issues getting in/out of Kosovo as the intention is to head to Albania. Similarly never been to Albania so any info re places to see etc would be welcomed. If anybody has any advice re things we should know I would welcome it.

Ali
    Scotland
  2. Kopteri

Kopteri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi! I was in kosovo for one year in 2005, peacekeeping... Kosovo is quite safe now a days, criminality is quite high but if you act normally and dont plan to mess with bad guys, you gonna be fine...what comes to Serbian-Kosovon border, it is probably closed so use some else to get in..
    There is quite a lot to see, monasterys with wine sales, historical places and war sites...
    Go in peace and enjoy your ride!!
  3. tomaszl

tomaszl n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I let you into Albania from Kosovo stamp, the Albani is safe, people are very nice. would recommend you to Shkoder route by Puke
    route sh 22, sh 23 to Kukes. Kukes Hotel In America
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not in Ride Reports, moved to RF: Europe.
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Travelled Macedonia - Kosovo - Albania - Montenegro in September 2011; no problem in Kosovo or Albania although one of the Albanian border officers got a bit stroppy. Lovely people in Kosovo. Albania too but be careful; if there's a lorry coming towards you, someone will overtake it whether you're there or not. You have to get out of their way.
  6. Dr JM

Dr JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second this. Albania has been the only place where I came very very close to being knocked off my bike, you need eyes everywhere.
  7. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
  8. Louisdut

Louisdut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had no problem getting into Albania form Montengro or out into Macedonia in 2008

We are planning a trip to Albania for this September and also looking at possible routes including Kosovo & Serbia

What the government say..

Since the introduction of Republic of Kosovo stamps, we are aware of incidents where foreign nationals, including those from the United Kingdom, have been denied entry to Serbia if they have these stamps in their passports, and the Serbian authorities may not allow you to travel into Serbia if you hold these stamps. We are also aware of isolated incidents where Serbian authorities have cancelled Kosovo stamps in passports of foreign nationals. Foreign nationals are less likely to experience entry problems if they travelled into Kosovo from Serbia and are returning via the same route, or are travelling via Albania, Macedonia or Montenegro

Hope that helps

Louis
  9. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. mark_87

mark_87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used to live in Albania several year ago and have been around the Balkans on holidays since. Great place of the world to see. I hope to go back on my bike someday.

I'm sure things have changes in recent years but when I was living there normally there were no major problems at borders, just had to sit around and wait a lot.... Any problems were able to be sorted, normally by some stranger at the border (I think its what they did to pass the time). Like I said I'm sure its much easier and quicker now. When I have been back on holidays its always been by train or plane and it has been like going into any other country.

Another point is not to leave you bike anywhere without security or with anything left on it, but that goes for any country these days. Again several years ago now but cars being broken into were quite normal when I was there.