Exhaust header pipe grates/protectors/ect? Rare?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mfp4073, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have them on my bike, but they are in pretty rough shape and dont look as good as they could. Started looking at replacement cost and couldnt seem to find them at any of my normal sources. Found a few sets on ebay but they have gone for dumb money. This one was $80, several of the others were $150 range. Are they really that rare and not available in the aftermarket? Do I need to take mine off and get em replated asap before they are in too bad a shape? Kinda confused here! :huh

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Motorcy...RQp6AJg7H70S0FqCrB2yBKg=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't know of any source of those new.

Many sales on Ebay bare little resemblance to reality. Many of the prices are manipulated. There are a few things that can still be had there at something close to reasonable. Sometimes if you patiently wait something will be offered at a real price. Then you get what was the original intent, an auction.

The heat shields are not a required part.
  3. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    They were originally made by Krauser and have become very hard to find.
  4. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    shit, guess I better find the couple sets I know I have hiding in the attic!
    BTW, I have a set that got kinda funky, I simply sanded lightly and painted them flat black, they looked pretty cool on the bike and the paint held up nicely.
  5. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I had a set on the G/S but sold them off, as they rattled sometimes, plus don't offer any real protection. I didn't get stupid money for them.
  6. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I saw them at Hucky's for $50 a piece. My bike came with them and were in real good shape. I fixed a couple of small dents and shined them up.

I guess if you are inclined to gettin' your shins up against hot headers they could be quite handy.
  7. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I have two full sets (those front ones plus the rear ones). One of these days, I'll mount one for the period-correct bling factor.

If they get pricey, I might sell the other set. :lol3
  8. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I have never owned a pair, and have only seen a pair once. Quite rare.
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    They are not rare.

I burn myself almost every time I take the front cover off my bike and sometimes doing other stupid things. Just the slightest touch and I have a burn that is red the first day, is a blister the second day and by the third day is an open sore. They heal OK. About two weeks. Sometimes there's a red spot for an additional month.

I thought maybe a set of these would help? If not then I'm getting the funky looking fiberglass wrapping. :lol3
  10. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    My first Airhead had them on it and I've transferred them from bike to bike over the years. Saved me a few burns over the years, even though they get hotter'n hell....but not as hot as a bare header.
    Plus they smell real good when loaded full of sizzling Montana grasshoppers in the summer. :clap
  11. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    They also tend to rust the header where they clamp on. I think I've got a set around here, but one of the mounting slots needs repaired.
  12. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest I like the look.

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe try taking them off and painting.....the black might look good.