Special Snap Ring Pliers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by indr, Jan 17, 2013.

1. indr

indr .

Oddometer:
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Those are super thin, a pick and a tiny screw driver will get them out.
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    place one end ion the groove, and press the ring in, proceding to the other end until it snaps into place . . . . .. think sprial . . .
  4. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    A screw driver:D

Plus what he said^^
  5. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
  6. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Many years ago when I thought I would build a couple of automatics I bought this set off the Snap On truck

[​IMG]

I ended up doing only one more transmission but over the years I have used these pliers several times. This set is now $200. SRP400A is the set #.

I like tools and when you need any of these they work great but you know what? You'll still end up doing that particular snap ring with a sharp pointy thing or a skinny screwdriver. Those are usually a thin material and not hard to bend. If you find a heavy duty one that is stiffer it's still the same thing. Pry out one end and spiral the rest out of the groove. To replace you put one end in the groove and press the rest in with your fingers (of all things), again think spiral like Bomber says.

These snap ring pliers do not remove or install the snap ring you are asking about. They do external snap rings. That internal ring you have is done with a sharp pointy thing or a small screwdriver.

Edit; Now that I think of it those rings may be used on external applications. The pliers might help if they are.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Ooooh, that's nice. What is it? Where from?
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    It looks like three different sizes. A little less than $200 for all three I think. The one I would need is about $50. I can't really justify getting this new toy. I don't rebuild engines any where near often enough.

But I do know a guy in Maryland that lost an engine due to a not properly installed piston circlip. The metal pieces got all the way into the oil pump because he drove it home with bad noises.
  10. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    You don't need one of those to properly install a circlip, you just need to pay attention to what you're doing. :nod

It won't help the OP with his snap ring either.