Jack of all trades or two aces...?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by KillerD, Oct 1, 2013.

1. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Full House.

:deal
  2. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:

Rocker wins. Best Answer.

Kids do slow down the riding in the beginning, and it isn't their fault. You just decide to spend more time with the kids than the bikes. Eventually though, the kids get bigger and they end up playing with friends for a Saturday and lo and behold, you have a Saturday to ride.
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Good point. I was at four last year, but have been at three for a year. Three is a magic number. Yes it is. :lol3

"Full House" / "Full Garage". I'd have a hard time being a one-bike person after having at least two in the garage, and up to four, during the past 15-years.
  4. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    Well after having a Daytona, you won't be happy on an SV or any of those inline 4 things. :lol3 (a 675 is an SV on steroids.)

Like many above have posted... more bikes is the answer. Think of it as the right tool for the job.

I have 6 bikes right now and they all have a specific purpose.

KTM: dirty fun.
    TTR: pit bike and flat track fun.
    Sprint: twisty road fun.
    DRZ: Dual sport fun.
    675: Race track fun.
    250R: more race track fun... okay it's really to help me to go faster on the Tona and it's working. Not to mention, it's just a giggle to ride.
  5. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty happy having a few bikes at the house. Both of them get ridden.

The Buell is my daily commuter and touring bike. The full luggage is pretty much a requirement for me. Decent enough power, super fun to ride. It never leaves tierra firma though.

The DR350 is a blast in the woods and does just fine on the street. On occasion I'll use it to run errands around town. But for the most part it's for playing out in the woods.

After owning these two drastically different bikes I couldn't really imagine having one "do all". Considering I have very little money into the sum of them I think it's a no brainer.
  6. Benduro

Benduro Carnavoyeur Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:

I find this to be true, I worked my way into 4 bikes at one time, felt like having a pert time job keeping them all maintained.
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    ktm lc4 640e with buttons that do things, and when I get that feeling of wanting to go faster, a 20 year old cbr 600,(strangley enough its an American import) both are sorted.:D
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

Same in my motorpool, cept replace teh DR with a KLR650 . . . .

Both get workouts in keeping with their strengths (such as they are with the KLR ;-} ).
  10. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Always use the right tool for the job. Unless the fun comes from using the wrong tool. :lol3

[​IMG]
  11. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an XT660R but I'd hate it as my only bike, I also own a Versys 650 and a XJR1300.

Out of those three, the Versys would be the best "all around" bike, but it would be the first one to go if I were forced to sell bikes.
  12. DR Donk

DR Donk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have as my only bike a 2002 Dr650 Suzuki with 66,000 miles that I still enjoy after all these years that I will never sell. It does just about everything I want it to but.............I sure wouldn't mind having a second bike, hopefully, next year. I have it narrowed down to four bikes that I would love to park next to the DR in my shed. Kawasaki Versys, XR1200 Harley, (I love flat track), Suzuki V-strom 1000 and the long shot of the group a Hypermotard Ducati any size. I saw a used one at the local dealer and fell in love :raabia I would find any reason to go look at it. So, to me two bikes would be perfect!
  13. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 3 bikes. I don't have a dirt bike. I think I could fit one more in the garage if I cleaned up some space... :-)
  14. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    Apparently I have too many bikes, from what I've read here. I've been missing the part where I'm supposed to sell the old ones off after I buy a new one to play with.......
  15. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a DR650 for around the county 80 mile radius trips and an F800GS for the longer rides. Really like both for what they do. Might add a TW200 for grins around the place but might have to send the Rincon and Recon atv on their way. The pioneer by Honda is looking like the next atv here.
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought EVERYbody had 3. (If not they should)
  17. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fixed it today and got a dirt bike. Up to 4.
    [​IMG]
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a bike for the street, and a bike for the dirt.
    Both are well suited for what I do with them, what I enjoy doing with them, and are smart picks for my age.

One bike just does not work for me, I want something really light in the dirt, with good suspension, and on the street, I want something light, nimble, comfortable, and that I can ride hard without getting in trouble.

A DR650 would have worked well when I was younger and my bones were less brittle. I think I would have got in plenty of trouble on one though.
  20. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Three here.
    WR450 - dirt

DRZ434 - dirt/steet

KLR650 - street