Full-Synthetic 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by aiMhi, Apr 10, 2012.

1. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    10-4

2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I am ready for a oil change (1,k miles on oil) on my 2012 DR650, 7k on the clock. Amsoil 10w40 being the oil of choice. Ill run a UOA on it. Ive done prior ones.
    I am going to purchase the new formulated blend here as soon as available.
    Ill go the same mileage and send it out to Blackstone as well for a head to head comparo on the 10w40 blend with the thumper/shared gearbox/wet clutch mill.
    If it's better, you got my business.
  3. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    update us with the new product deets when they're available. i gotta new to me 450exc and this oil looks promising!
  4. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Guys - Thank you for the comments. I am going to see if we can get the new product released in Gallon jugs so putting that together. I think it would be a better proposition than having to buy a full case.

Later,
    Bern
  5. bobbybeemer

bobbybeemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, been following this oil thread. All the talk has been on Zinc. The oil tests from Blackstone are a joke, read the summary the guy writes, things like "this should be good oil" ect...... Not your typical lab language. Show me ASTM tests, shear, four ball wear tests high temp shear ect.... All done with ASTM reference.
    There is more to oil than Zinc content, and honestly if my oil is six or ten bucks a quart I don't care as long as the price reflects the quality.
    Got good oil? Sow us the data using real lab tests to test wear, shear, hi temp shear, vis stability, foaming, ect.....
  6. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Been following this oil thread for a while huh?
    ASTM tests on the "old" 15W50 ASTM 4052, ASTM D92, ASTM D97, ASTM D1500, ASTM D445... are on post #5 and Blackstone also includes the ASTM D92, D96, D44 on the VOA.

Blacktone Labs are one of the largest most reputable oil analysis companies in the USA - period. Most consumers are not tribologists so they need a plain English interpretation from a reputable company so they can understandit... that is their objective and really... most people dont know or care to know that their oils Specific Gravity@60F= 0.85637:

Blackstone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us.php "Established in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1985, Blackstone Laboratories strives to provide an easy-to-use, understandable, and accurate oil analysis program with the fastest turnaround in the industry. At the heart of our program is ICP (inductive coupled plasma) spectrometry, database averages for comparing wear, and a comments section on each report that explains — in plain English! — what your results mean."

BTW I dont know anyone that even knows anyone that works at Blackstone Labs.
  7. bobbybeemer

bobbybeemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Show the wear tests and other performance tests that should be done on any oil released for public use.
  8. SCBonneville

SCBonneville n00b

Oddometer:
    bobby... please show me where to locate these wear tests that "should be done on any oil released for public use" from any other oil "manufacturer"... Amsoil is the only brand that I have ever seen that posts them... Castrol? Mobil? Redline? Haven't seen their "wear tests" results posted... And to tell you the truth, while the "results" are nice info, it is more of a marketing blurb than a deal breaker, for me anyway...

Also, understand that an oil "analysis" is a very different animal than a "wear test" An oil anaysis will show the elemental metals contained in the oil and the additive package... plus, the TBN number shows the "health" of the additive package when an analysis is done on used oil...

What I find most important in looking at MC oils, since I run an air cooled, wet clutch, trans lubed by engine oil, is what is the oils base stock really made of? Is it TRULY a synthetic? Is it a class 4 (PAO)? Is it a class 5 (diester)? Or is it a class 3 super hydro cracked dino oil base?

Who tells you right up front what base stock they use? Castrol? Nope.. they're the original offenders... Mobil? Sorry... their lips are sealed.. The only manufacturers that I have found that will tell you exactly what base stock they use, right up front are Amsoil, Redline and Monarch...

If I'm popping out big bucks for a "synthetic" oil... I want to know that it is really a synthetic... Not a "super hydro cracked" dino oil...
  9. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    BobbyBeemer - If you would like to challenge Royal Mfg. claims or want additional ASTM performance tests in addition to the (7) posted here feel free to reach out to Dr Paul Salter, Laboratory Manager of Riverside Laboratories at pauls@royalmfg.com or at (p) 918-587-5711. I heard they now have a ICP "Inductively Coupled Plasma" Machine that can make for a great conversation....LOL!

Riverside Laboratories is the oil analysis arm of Royal Mfg. They actually do oil testing for the heavy equipment business (construction, trains, ships, fleet, etc...). You can also check out the Product Datasheets that they have published on their site for every product. The lastest formulations of their synthetic motocycle oils (10W40 & 15W50) are not posted yet since they have not yet released the product yet.

If you want to test it out yourself - I back all sales with a full refund (on un-used quarts of course).

10. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Update: 01/17/12 Slight delay due to certification delays

New reformulated Full-Synthetic 10W40 & 15W50 to be released Feb 1st-8th
  11. SikDMAX

SikDMAX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still interested in it for my shop when the new stuff comes out....
  12. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the note SikDMAX. I will reach out to you ok.
  13. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I did not read the whole thread so I hope I'm not repeating something.
    It's my understanding zinc will damage CAT converters, so if I have a late model with a CAT will it be okay?
  14. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    You are correct that Zinc can reach toxic levels for high tech catalyctic converters especially the ones designed for cars that are made to last 150K miles, not so much for bikes. I don't know what you ride but the oil is certified to conform to JASO MA-2 API SL so check your manual and go from there.

I agree this discussion got a bit Zinc crazy but it is all about having a balanced additive package and staying within the manufacturers specifications.
  15. totensiebush

totensiebush re-tarded

Oddometer:
    Is the price going to increase with the reformulation? I'd like to pick up a case, and I'm assuming the new stuff will be better, but if there's a big price increase it might be worth it to pick up the old stuff instead.
  16. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    There will be a bump in price but will also make it available in Gallon containers as well... I think that is the way to go and then if you like it get the case. The old formulation has been discontinued.

Thanks for the question.... I am just waiting for the release of the product at this point.....
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are the wrist and the subframe coming along?

You gonna be ready for some spring riding?
  18. SikDMAX

SikDMAX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Got your message a few days ago - thanks. Im interested in the new formula when its ready to go - if you can forward me the dealer pricing for the new stuff if you have it I can plan a stocking order for when its ready to sell. Thanks!

Matt
  19. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Right now just working though my bike from front to back when I can, done front bearings, steering stem bearings, replaced shock fluid, installed HDB handquards and Rox Risers, re-did wiring, need to set valves for the season and then there is the damage... ordered replacement footpeg and some other pieces...the subframe is ok, a little bent. The shift in the rear subframe was really due to the aluminium tab bending 1/2 inch inward due to the impact - I will work this weekend on heating and bending it, it if breaks then need to get the aluminium rewelded.

The broken bones in the hand is healed up and the ligament in thumb ok, a little dumb still but getting there. Separated shoulder is 99% and clavicle ok now....fun stuff :huh - I am hoping end of April, May to get out so you have to hook us up on an evil ride!!

Thanks again for you and Blane's help getting back :deal
  20. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:

Sounds great Matt - I will work up some figures for you and get out to you. Shooting to have it to you by this weekend ok.