The Official Garmin 62, 64 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. rutsthematter

rutsthematter Yes they are

Oddometer:
    I have a 62s unit mounted on a ram mount with the Garmin automotive power supply cable. Problem I have is that the mini usb plug on the end of the cable has a right angle which is 90 degrees out ie the cable comes out of the unit and has to loop upwards before going down behind the headlight. This loop gets buffeted by the wind and wobbles with the movement of the bike which by all accounts will stuff the connection over time. Is there an adaptor or a cable with a right angle thats opposite to the oem cable. With the cable routed directly down to the bike I could secure it to the ram mount and the whole cable/unit could move together causing less stress and damage. I could also put a plastic bag over in the rain which is impossible now with the big loop. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It would be a lot easier for you to find a mini usb connector which is not at right angle, ie straight out, than to find another which is in the direction you're looking for.
  4. rutsthematter

Oddometer:
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the early days these units would change the color of tracks that were downloaded to them.

I had at least one of each on my last ride and they now seem to NOT change the color of tracks when I downloaded tracks to customers.

Does any one know for sure if this was Firmware change and what versions is good?

They still all download "Off" any on track manager still only order by proximity with no choice for alfa-#.
  6. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a thread on 62s power options.

Touratech uses a o-ring at the usb connection to the unit. But I'm not sure the concept will work with a stock RAM mount.

daryl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. rutsthematter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info I'll try the o ring idea. Hopefully it will work with a right angled plug.
  8. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    I picked a garmin 78 up, and now I'm trying to decide on how to mount it. Does anyone have opinions on using the ram mount offroad with the 78? I like the price, but it looks a little flimsy for rough offroad.

The touratech locking mount would be nice, especially if it dampens vibrations much. I'm not sure I can get over paying that much to mount a $200 gps though.
  9. mattmus4357

mattmus4357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fayetteville, AR, USA, North America, Earth
    I just ordered the Ram mount for my 78. I haven't received it yet, but based on all my other Ram mounts (iPad yoke mount, GoPro mount, a few random others) I wouldn't hesitate to use these offroad. They've all been solid for anything I've put them through. Can't be the $35 price either.
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it off-road yet (still snowed in) but I think the RAM cradle for the 78 will be just fine. GPS is held very firmly. I will, of course, have the lanyard tethered to the bar.
    Very good access to the USB and power ports when it's in the cradle.
  11. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the ram mount / ram cradle for my 78. I really love the mount a lot - it's very stable and the adjustability is great. The cheap plastic ram cradle I am not very happy with. It is not very sturdy and for rough offroad I don't think you can get more than 1-2 seasons out of them. I recently got back from a 2 week trip to Baja and the kit held up fine, but was buzzing and rattling the whole way (granted the GPS never popped out of the cradle). After I got back I noticed the cradle really scratched up the unit quite a bit (I don't care about that but maybe someone else does).

I've used a friends Touratech mount on his older 76 series and it was rock solid. They are way way overpriced but it really is a superior mount, IMO. If I were to do it again I'd look for a nice used Touratech no question.
  12. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    I don't care about scratches, but buzzing and rattling would annoy me. Anyone know of any other options?
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Rattling and buzzing is easy to fix. Just put some foam tape inside the RAM cradle. That would likely stop the scratching too.
  14. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    so from my research I gather that the 78 is good but the 62 series is a lemon downgrade and should be recalled
    even Garmin admits it "by proxy"
    on the website they list the discontinued 60 CSX available NEW for $730 , yet its "upgrade version" , the 62s lists for $299 , so I take that as an admission of guilt.
    The entire 62 series should be recalled and crushed before some adventurer gets lost and dies because of it :lol3

sure glad I didnt buy one

I was wondering why the used beat up 60CSX's are going for so shockingly much $:eek1
    thats a shame too cause Id rather have a 60csx than a 78 but not at the price/performance value
    damn you garmin
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what you're talking about, and I get the feeling you don't too. There is nothing 'wrong' with the 62.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  16. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    and then to piss me off even more Garmin decides to penalyze the landlubbers in the 78 series by charging an extra $100 for the altimeter and compass
    a boater has no use for an altimeter and almost all boats have a compass on board so the marketing geniuses figure they can gouge another hundred out of the land based user by going through all the trouble of leaving out the S features which probably actually cost Garmin more to do
    an altimeter/compass is cheep ($20 on ebay), not worth an extra $100 it should just be standard [/rant]

Garmin is so fortunate they have no competition
    I'd bet if Garmin thought they could get away with selling virus protection for their little computers they would be sending out viruses from the sattelites just like Microsoft and the internet LOL :rofl
  17. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    discontinuous tracking ( shuts off after 10,000 points with no warning)
    USB power connection

there's two right there
    62 sux
    and you are right I dont know what Im talking about , I am getting this info from other sources on the internet before I buy a GPS
    I just do a google search and come up with lots of reasons not to get a 62,

I guess I should get one and start playing with it , ignorance is bliss
    and since I know nothing ............ I should be in paradise trying to keep that USB power connection working and maybe hire a geek to figure out how to sort out tracking
    or just get the 78 for around $200 and a compass/altimeter and quit doing research
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yes, the usb only power is a problem but the 62 and 78 are virtually identical otherwise.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  19. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dustodust, you are over thinking this. The GPS units being discussed here are solid units with relatively few problems given the environment. I would have a 62 in a heartbeat if run on AA only but would instead opt for the 78 instead for the power plug.
    The 78s is $100 more but then how much is a 62s, a quick search looks to be about $350 or $150 more then a base 78 ($50 more then a 78s) and the 78 has better power options.
    Seems a lot of folks dismiss the 78 series because of the layout but based on input from owners it's a non issue. Countdown has likely held more 60/76 & 62/78 units then the rest of us put together and he swears by the 76/78. Hold your hand out, open, palm facing your eyes and try touching each joint of your index finger with your thumb. And again touching each joint of your little finger. Which is easer?
    Nothing wrong with the 62 as a battery powered handheld but the 78 is a better option if hardwired. The "s" models while nice are over rated IMO, any gps will give a fair gps derived altitude and what does a compass run $2-$5?
    Strongly suspect the Track issues brought up are more due to user knowledge (lack of) then a hardware/firmware problem. These are sophisticated units, there are many user settings for recording & managing track logs to which there is a learning curve. BTW 10,000 points is a lot of points.
    My recommendation is to buy something that sounds good, is within the budget (including extras) then practice, practice, practice or get a nuvi.

Bruce
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Bruce says, stop wearing you brain out, it is only good for so many thoughts.

I have only had a few 62s show up but never heard of this "track issue". When I give my GPS class it is like looking at a whole herd of deer in the head lights. I don't put much in 3rd party stories.

However being a rocket scientist, flying with only one power source is like only having co2 bottles and no air pump and taking off for middle of Nevada.

I firmly believe in hard wired 12V and internal battery only as back up (62 is not an option).