Airhead Frame stand for painting

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by wirewrkr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone elae has thought of this, but I had an inspiration today, and rather than make one I just grabbed and old R90S block that was kickin around.
    PERFECT! for holding the frame while soda blasting, sanding and painting.
    This is that 1976 /6 I showed here a few months back.
    Robert
  2. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    No, it's not gonna be orange!
    Red oxide primer
  3. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    :lol3

:thumb
  4. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well sure, everybody has a spare crankcase lying around (just tripped over one yesterday), but who has a convenient pickup truck?

Just kidding. It's an inspired idea.
  5. Manymotos

Manymotos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another option if you have light fabrication tools and skills is to make a simple rotisserie. The frame for it can even be made from 2 x 4s if you don't want to weld something together. Basically, you can build a frame with two vertical posts about 4' apart. Put a hole for the rotisserie tube or rod to go through in the top of each post. Take a piece of all thread long enough to go through a pair of the engine mounting holes in the frame. Use another piece of all thread through the steering head leaving about 18" extending out the bottom . Now find the balance point by running the rotisserie tube through the frame, with the frame on it's side. Weld the rotisserie tube to the two pieces of all thread. Now you can load the rotisserie tube with the frame on it between the two vertical posts. You now can rotate the frame 360 degrees and the only places you won't be able to blast or paint are where the nuts are on the piece of all thread through the pair of engine mount holes.

This fixture is extremely usefully for wet painting frames as frames are very difficult to paint all the way around without missing a place of two. Another benefit is that often when painting frames it is easy to apply too much paint trying to hit tube joints and tight places. If you rotate the frame slowly for a few minutes after spraying, the areas with heavy paint will flow out rather than turn into runs. For rotating the frame simply clamp a vise grip on the end of the rotisserie tube and use it to turn the tube.

My rotisserie is much more refined than what I have described above but I do quite a bit of painting and use mine for frames, gas tanks, fenders and a number of other things. You are only limited by your imagination. Painting fenders is very beneficial because you can get both the underside and the top side painted very nicely all at once. The same applies for gas tanks. Fixtured properly it takes much of the risk out of your paint jobs.
  6. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. Manymotos

Manymotos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with you. Currently I'm just sitting here at the house and the rotisserie is at the shop. Monday I'll get a picture for you.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    We miss you Robert....:cry
  9. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea. Paining small-ish parts by hanging them from a wire can be a pain-- if it's too high you can' paint the top, the bottomside needs a contortionist to get underneath it, you can get paint backfired into the face or find cricks in the back doing the lumbago to get all around.

I'll be Ron Popeil got his start doing this... :huh

--Bill
  10. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:

Yeeeah.
  11. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    x2
  12. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    x3
  13. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    :cry
  14. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    The older we get, the more people we miss. Robert was one in a million, though.