CA to CO

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by surfshotmoto, Jun 1, 2012.

1. surfshotmoto

surfshotmoto n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the forum. I have read quite a bit about trails through Mexico from this thread and planned a trip which was completed last week. The advise was outstanding and we had an amazing four days in Baja.

I am planning on going from Carlsbad CA in San Diego to Almont Colorado in July for a fly fishing trip with my brother and father. I would like to dual sport it however, since I am new to dual sport rides I dont know of any trails going from San Diego to Colorado.

Has anyone taken this trip (or even part of it) that could give me some suggestions on good trails or dirt roads to look into? I have allot of experience riding trails, MX tracks and street riding. I just dont know the area well so any type of trail will work.

Thanks for the feedback!
  2. surfshotmoto

surfshotmoto n00b

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  3. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    Buy the Benchmark Atlas for CA, AZ, NV,UT, and CO.

Look for the dotted lines. The lighter red the rougher the road. The thin red lines need recon by Google Maps or Earth. Sometimes they're private property. Sometimes they're the most epic road you've ever ridden.
  4. surfshotmoto

surfshotmoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Honey thanks for solid advise.
  5. lopaca

lopaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the Trans America Trail route to see where you could pick that up. If my memory serves correct, you should be able to head northeast to Nevada and then pick it up there and take it east. I don't know how close that will go by the town you need, but it might make for a nice ride. All of it is doable on a dual sport, but as you probably know, the lighter the more fun, especially in the silty sand portions of Nevada and Arizona.

Let us know which way you end up going and good luck with your search.

P.S. What bike are you going to use.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. surfshotmoto

surfshotmoto n00b

Oddometer:

I was looking into the TAT however it appeared I could only pick it up in UTAH. I will check further. The TAT does go right by my desitination which is a small town called Almont in CO. I am meeting brothers and father for fly fishing trip.

The bike I am taking is a plated 2005 Honda 450X. I put the TTR three ring piston and Values in it and ran it about 1000 miles so far through Baja. It works awesome for roads and trails. Road 14/48 on gearing but will go 15/48 for this trip as I think I may encounter allot more roads. Using Dunlap 606 on rear and M-18 Perelli on front for first time so dont know how they will hold up. From posts it looks like they should work well. I will get a picture together a little later and post. I did a bunch of work to it to get street legal and durable. So far I am very happy with it.
  8. surfshotmoto

surfshotmoto n00b

Oddometer:
    I will check this out tonight. It looks like an amazing trop! Thanks for the feedback.