Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by skidxr, Dec 10, 2012.

1. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    Hey all.. I'm experiencing what sounds like the cam chain rattling on my 2007 990 ADV. 17K miles. Fresh oil change. Valves are due to be checked. Sounds like a machine gun... BB gun machine gun that is.

I hear this if starting off in first gear with low RPM's. If I rev it and slip the clutch more than usual it does not happen. I have always thought this was the drive chain slapping but now I'm not sure and think it may be the cam chain.

I have read a few post's on this but it seems guys are hearing this at cold start-up. I hear it very briefly when starting the bike, always have. I can't hear it at any other time in any gear unless I find myself lugging it. Yes I know you are not supposed to lug it but sometimes it happens that way. The bike runs perfect other than this rattle. Could the tensioner be worn out for the cam chain? There is no evidence of water in the oil via inspecting the filter. I run 20 - 50 Mobile One oil.

HELP !!! Is it going to blow?
  2. Bugman98

Bugman98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't the 20-50 vis oil a little heavy? If you hear this after start up its probably due to the fact that the cam chain tensioners aren't "pumping up" with oil fast enough. A lighter weight oil might solve this problem. I had this issue with my 950 and it got worse until I was hearing the rattle sound when at idle and the engine was warm. I did a lot of research and all signs pointed to a worn oil pump piston which was only barely able to maintain oil pressure at idle. I replaced it and the problem went away immediately! And this was at 33K mi.
  3. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    I thought 20 - 50 was what the manual called for. I just went and read it again. 10 - 50 . oops.. Think that could be it huh?
  4. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? I swapped out the oil with 10-50 but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks...
  5. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put bike on center stand and have somebody start it and listen around the bike close up.
    Put it in gear, run the engine and listen close up.
    You should find the source of the noise pretty easy this way.
    Most have a somewhat loose drive chain which it should be, and noise will result especially if lugging.

MZ
  6. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    good info. use a long screw driver put your ear to it and move it a round till you find it.
  7. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which does not surprise me a bit, seen the thread too late otherwise had warned you not to waste money on the oil change...