tips on buying a KLR650......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by b1pig, Mar 8, 2013.

1. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    I attended a tech day at Happy Trails a year ago. About 15 bikes. One broken doo spring.
  2. WildmanSam

WildmanSam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    an '07 with 13k miles? i hope he isn't asking more than 2250...

there was a mint 07 for sale near me with 2500 miles for $2800. i almost bought it just to keep in my garage it was so clean... look around. there are literally dozens for sale in every city at any given time.
  3. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    that guy is asking a lot more than that. i've had some time to cool my heels a little. i have found several '08's for $3500 with varying levels of information. sadly, there is one within a 130 miles of me. he isnt returning the messages i left. there are several others, but they're all 4+ hours away. i found one guy who actually travels up my way fairly often, and he is offering to meet part way. problem with him is that he doesnt know jack about the bike. i'm guessing that he's into the business of buying/selling bikes.

i probably have 4 hours worth of searching last night alone... i didn't get ANYTHING done at work. lol....
  4. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I can verify this.
    He helped me with my doo.
    (He pretty much did all the work while I handed him stuff) LOL
    Thanks again Dwight!

I have the tools if anyone needs to borrow them.
    Oh. And get the torsion spring from Eagle Mike when you buy his kit.
  5. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Be careful about the 08 models.
  6. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    from this:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

'08 650 with corbin, dirt tires, some supports for soft luggage, happy trails windscreen bracket with what looks like a double-bubble style screen, heated grips... and in the back of the van, some soft saddle bags, a set of street tires and the original seat.

125mi ride home on it today. other than being half deaf from the roar of the dirt tires... a good ride. all fluids were in great shape (oil not "too new"), chain seemed well adjusted, fork seals good. no real signs of being down. nothing broken.

other than the PO having the handle bars cranked forward making the controls a little awkward/uneven... excellent ride home. you can even see how the bars are rolled forward in the pic.. lol

thanks for the tips in the thread. i appreciate it.
  7. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Do you know if this bike had the recall done?
    Remember, the 08 models were oil burners.
  8. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were hit or miss with burning oil. Everything I've read shows it was really random, break-in procedures from each end of the spectrum having no real change on whether they smoked or not. I bought mine with 7K on the ticker. It wouldn't burn any noticeable amount in my normal commute, but over 400 straight highway miles it would burn about a half quart+. Just keep a good eye on the oil level. The easy fix is the 685 kit, which you should be thinking about anyway. It smooths out the motor in a big way.
  9. Hessian42

Hessian42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You just bought yourself a headache. should have gone 2007 and under.

got my mint 99 with 4k miles for $2000. rode it across the country and put 10k in one shot and not a drop of burned oil or any problems.

good luck
  10. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I believe were there were a specific amount based on the VIN that had the problems.
    I don't believe they were hit or miss.
    Even if they were hit or miss, all the more reason to ask about the recall.
    Or ask if the 685 was done.
    I wouldn't have risked it on an 08 unless I knew the recall was done or upgrade to a 685 was done.
  11. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    according to the owner, it has no history of oil burn or any history of electrical issues.

now. the question would be, why would i turn down a bike just because of the year? the recall for the wiring harness listed 08-09 models, not just 08's. so, then technically, i should have avoided the 09's too. besides. any person selling a bike can tell a lie.

regardless.
    if its a problem, i'll fix it. i'm handy with a wrench. the bike deserves an owner interested in getting past the deficiencies and keeping it running and in top shape. that happens to be me. if the bike is a headache, then i'm the codeine. :evil

no idea if its had the 685 kit done. i doubt it in any case.
    in the 125 mile ride home running 75-80 on the interstate for about 110 of the miles, it didn't use any measureable amount. that doesnt mean it wont start burning oil later. its an engine. it has to break some time.
  12. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's possible, I haven't read up on it in a few years. Last I heard they didn't have it pinned down to why some did it and others didn't, but some people were starting to get kawi to fix them under warranty.

As for the recalls, if they haven't been done, you can have them done for free. Kawi has a section on there website were you can put in you VIN and it will look up if it has any open recalls.

The 08 does have some advantages and disadvantages. I've never been on a pre-08 myself - but the 08 has bigger forks, better brakes, and some other updates. The main downside is the massive front fairing pieces. The new bikes don't crash well. They are a pain to take on and off. I actually removed the two big side fairing bits, and secured the radiator with strap steel, and it is significantly smoother on the highway.
  13. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'll be doing my best not to drop it.

now all i have to do is remember to write my VIN down!!

thx for highlighting some positive traits on the '08. :D
  14. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the internet - so read any information with caution - unless you know the person!

I have an 08. I have upgraded most of the bike from back to front - because I can and enjoy wrenching. It has a 685 that was put in at 10K. I leave in 2 weeks for another 7 day, 4k mile trip. When I get back, it will have 51K on it. It has taken me to Mexico 4X, Canada 2X inclusive of Nova Scotia, 5X from TX to VA through 15 states. It does what I expect of it and more - comfortably.

Any model/year is good if it has been taken care of. I have seen some with leass than 10k I would not touch. Like any bike of any make - extended reliability involves some work. If you like what you see- buy it and enjoy it!
    patrkbukly likes this.
  15. Gentleman Adventurer

Gentleman Adventurer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mother Rucker Alabama; The Heart of Dixie
    b1pig;
    Good reply! I'm researching a KLR myself and learned quite a few things reading your thread. Enjoy your new ride!

Tsotsie
    GREAT advice:thumb
  16. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I wasn't trying to tell you not to buy it. I was just saying to be careful.
    Beings that you're handy with a wrench, if you do encounter problems, the KLR is an easy fix for you.
    Good luck with the new bike and I hope she doesn't give you any problems!
  17. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden the Gen II KLR.
    I know they beefed up the front end and brakes, but they also added some weight to the bike.
    I don't much the like of the newer model. The front fender is ugly, the fairing looks too street, the side panels on the tank are big.
    I love my Gen I bike. KLaRissa is my girl! :rofl

Here is a link to the recall info you had spoke of.
    http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFram...VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=0
  18. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too true. They did the redesign before the dual sport thing really took off, and took it in the wrong direction. They made it more street styled, but the current trend is to make street bikes more off-roadish looking. I already ditched the side panels on the tank, and it is smoother and the wind bothers it less on the highway. I'm going to be redoing the whole front end. It is way to big and bulky for a dual sport.
  19. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Make sure you do a build thread with lots of pictures! :deal
  20. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' I have ridden both.

With the 08+ the rider wind protection is better, the radiator is a lot more efficient, the radiator fan is more efficient, the alternator is bigger, wheels, spokes are stiffer, front forks are thicker/stiffer (38 vs 41 mm), rear swing arm is stiffer with better adjustment, lights are much better, brakes as you mention are a tad better and more enjoyable with a 320 disc and SS hoses. All things that improve the ride. As for a few lbs of extra weight - who would ever notice that? Now as for looks, when riding I enjoy the scenery, the ride and how the bike functions - Not interested in looking lovingly at what amounts to a tool that enables me to do what I want to do. Both versions are ugly. Both will get you from a-b.