The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    a used Marlin 1894c, better made than the Rossi.

I fell into one a couple years ago, guy traded it in on a Glock at one of my local gunshops. Not sure about the thought process that was in use there but I got it for $400 including a very nice leather sling and it had barely been fired. Shoots like a dream.

I keep reading about the drop in quality on new Marlins, I haven't purchased anything from them recently but there does seem to be some pretty substantial issues with their new guns.

Real shame.
  2. ZzyzyxRd

ZzyzyxRd $$$ This Space For Rent $$$

Oddometer:
    Dan Wesson Valor should arrive tomorrow or tue, I'll post some pics before Turkey day.
  3. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, they aren't that bad. The ones coming out of the Marlin factory before they moved weren't very good either - that is supposedly one of the reasons why they moved. IMO the Marlins - at least the 336 design - are a superior rifle to the Winchester/Browning lever actions (92 and 94 anyway).

My '95 .45-70 was made in the Marlin factory just before they moved production and it has some of the problems that are reported lately; poor buttstock fit and the mag tube was dented. It doesn't feed well although that might be fixed with a different follower.

When I get around to it and build up my cash reserves again, I will send it off to be cut down, ported, action slicked up, maybe with a take down kit, certainly with the scout scope mount. The main thing is that it is a good action design, it is .45-70, laminated stock and it is stainless. I can work from there.

I do not care for the newer Winchester lever actions - I've had a few of them. The ones with the safety activated by the lever have a slopping action and don't feel right. I grew up with an old '94 in .30-30 (my grandfather traded some booze and cash to a Trask Indian for the rifle before I was born) with a 26" octagon barrel and I loved that rifle (my brother inherited it) but the Marling 336 type action is superior.
  4. tcs06

tcs06 The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with this Marlin :evil 1894 45 Colt :deal

[​IMG]
  5. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt that they moved to improve quality (the decision was almost certainly driven by a desire to reduce cost and consolidate production under one roof when they bought Marlin). The consensus on the Marlin forums is that quality went south when Remington bought Marlin and did not move the workers when they shifted production from New Haven to Ilion.

All of my Marlins except for a 39 that I haven't shot yet are New Haven guns (pre-move), and I've never had a problem with any of them. I don't doubt that some of the guns leaving the Remington plant are good, and for those who own them...if you're happy with them, that's good. Most feel the quality deteriorated, as Remington tacitly admitted when they suspended production to get the quality problems sorted. You might take a gander at marlinowners.com to see what others' experiences have been.
  6. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Been a member there for several years. Joined after I bought mine just about the time they moved. Haven't been there recently, but I was there before and after. My impression was that the quality before the move was nothing to brag about either.

Can't speak personally as to quality of guns after the move, but what I read as to quality of guns made before the move was not good.
  7. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm the exception, then. I own nine Marlins made before the move and I've never had an issue with any of them. Quality has been excellent on all of them; accuracy has been great on the ones that I shoot. The most recent was an 1895 in .45/70, made just before the move, and it is very accurate with a 330 grain cast bullet and 15 grains of Unique. Nice wood, too...

[​IMG]
  8. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    That is very nice.
  9. Axiom2000

Axiom2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have long been a fan of the Beretta 92FS I thinik some of the limited edition model are a work of art. Here are a few from my modest collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I think the quality problem guns are the exception and not the rule. You generally hear product complaints more than compliments on the internet about any product. I have heard that the reason for the move was that the new owners felt that the New Haven workforce was problematic, particularly about the quality problems.

I haven't seen the guns since the move so I don't know about those, but I did notice the fit and finish of mine was typical of the complaints - specially where the buttstock joined the receiver. Looking at your wood I would bet that your wood is a higher grade than mine - maybe they took more care in fit.
  11. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    An awesome collection; something I haven't seen either individually or in a group. Thanks very much for sharing this beautiful collection of handguns with us.
  12. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Well the old Winchester 100 got some new bling with the addition od a 3x9 50mm scope since I finally got a rail.

[​IMG]

3X power
    [​IMG]

9X power
    [​IMG]
  13. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
  14. Axiom2000

Axiom2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Believe me, my collection of Beretta 92's is modest compared to some I know. But there are many more models some very rare and most likely only to be found when a collector wants to sell one.
    Go here and click on 92 FS and then Frame Safety

http://www.berettacollection.com/9mm/9mm.html
  15. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    Well?
  16. ZzyzyxRd

ZzyzyxRd $$$ This Space For Rent $$$

Oddometer:
    I was at work when it came in this afternoon, picking it up in the AM. :D
  17. Steelybeast

Steelybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Really like the texturing on that stock. :thumb
  18. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    That's checkering. Hopefully, it's hand cut, the wood quality deserves it.
  19. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Regarding the 'lower quality' of Marlins since their factory move. This was a decision by the Freedom Group intended to lower costs by busting the unions. I have a 2008 Marlin Guide Gun (stainless model) and the quality is amazing. I looked at a new Guide Gun yesterday at Sportsmans Warehouse and the reduction in quality is pretty evident. The finish on the outside metal is good, and the wood not too bad, but the stock has a gap where it meets the action and even the forestock band was crooked. Also the action is very rough on the inside. It looks like CNC processing of the action needed to be given a final finish by a workman. It was about half the quality of my 2008 model and I certainly will not buy a Marlin again. Now Savages and Rugers are still very good and I have no complaints. The newer Remingtons I have worked with are very good also, but the Marlins have taken a hit by the 'economizing/capital improvements'.
  20. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    does anyone have any first hand experience with the Wild West Gun shop that's located in Las Vegas?

I didn't realize that they'd opened a shop outside of Alaska til I came across a mention of it on a gun forum. I was planning on shipping my Marlin up to them for some custom work but I'd rather ship it or deliver it to Las Vegas.

Given the excellent reputation the shop in Alaska has I'd expect similar from the new shop as well but I'm always interested in hearing other's opinions.