Norra 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Strong Bad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What gets me is... why is the roadbook only apply just to this class? I will be roadbook only.. but in the open class.
    Oh well, is what it is.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Please provide a link or reference for this.

I see this:

3.5 GPS Navigation
    NORRA recommends all vehicles be equipped with a GPS that can display the event route such that competitors have the ability to comply with the official course, remain within the allowable course tolerance, pass though any virtual check points, and avoid any restricted areas. NORRA will provide the official course route in Lowrance .usr format. NORRA routes are not physically marked, however a route book is provided in addition to the GPS trail. It is the competitors responsibility to successfully navigate such that they follow the route and avoid penalties for non-compliance.

8.9 Category MRR450: 450cc Rally Raid Motorcycles
    Any age motorcycle with a maximum displacement of 450cc.

But I see nothing that says road book and CAP heading only.
  3. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going by Mark's post. Looking again, I can not find it in the rulebook either. :dunno
  4. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree 100%

I know of 7 guys buliding aKTM 620 or 640 just for this event.
    plus a few guys building XRR 650,KTM 500 & 530

Originally Posted by Baja Dad [​IMG]
    Good Question??????
    IMO: 450 cc max
    Large fuel tank
    Must use only road book
    use GPS Cap headings ( no gps track file)

I am just guessing on this !
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Does seem odd that there is a 400cc max and a 450cc. I assume there will be more specifics on the 450 rally class. Guessing that is where I will fit in.

Made good progress at PT with my knee over the past week. Starting to look like I will recover in time for this!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    The very last class listed, over 50 400cc max doesn't mention 4 stroke like the other 400cc limited classes do. I'm wondering if its possible to race a 300 2 stroke in that class . Probably just a typo and limited to 250 2stroke.

I'd be more motivated to show up if I could ride a bike that I already own. I know I'm too slow to hang with fast guys on 690s on my 625 but since they dropped the 5 gallon min rule the 625 makes more sense.
    Seems the new classes are making the xr650s less competitive.
  7. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm converting my 570 Berg to a full rally set-up with road-book, so the 450 limit on the rally class is affecting me as well (which is why I will end up in the M50+O class).

Oh well...
  8. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    The thought of riding a 300cc two-stroke 1200 miles with nearly half of it being tarmac at highway speeds just makes my teeth shake :eek1
  9. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    No doubt. I can't believe that Luis is racing Dakar again (3rd time) on his KTM 150 2T (#150).
  10. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    gotta love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Well, don't forget that the 2007-2011 690 is actually 654cc and the 2012-2013 are 690cc, which should confuse everyone but since I have the new motor, I'm in good shape:lol3

BD, why did you write the rules that way?
  12. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I for one am wondering about some classes and year cut offs but have a few choices on bikes for 2013 in my garage....

I can't see riding anything under a 250... 2 or 4 stroke unless I was on a vintage class bike.

A sugesstion concerning rules Q and A ... Maybe we should make Anders thread here

NORRA Mexican 1000 - 2013 Rules / Updates

the go to for rule book questions and suggestions so it is consoladated and Norra can see our input.

Just a thought..
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that. Seems they don't have a good sense for their audience.
  14. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Thats what I thought but you can't make everyone happy, you'll drive yourself nuts. Personally, I just want to ride, the class structure is really just an after thought to me. Merry Xmas everyone!

[​IMG]

:lol3
  15. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    :nod yeah less worried about what class I am in.... more just focused on making it all the way to Cabo without any issues this time.

Nice tree but wouldn't a Kawasaki (green) be more Christmas appropriate than orange :lol3
    perhaps a Honda for some red?
  16. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize there was so much pavement, I guess I need to put the Sumo wheels on :evil
  17. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is half pavement but there are some good long stretches. I always get more tired on long pavement bits. Less to keep the mind occupied I guess. Still as far as 2 strokes go a 300 might not be bad but I would recommend a heavy flywheel to help smooth it out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  18. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I added up the paved transit mileage and came up with 417.9 miles, so add the little bit on stage 2 on day 2 and I'm guessing 430 tops. Last time I checked, 430 wasn't half of 1200:lol3
  19. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Ok. I'm sure those 170 miles are the only miles that would make your butt hurt, or hands numb, so its all good. And of course, they are still paving the road to Coco's so I was just averaging up since there will could physically be more pavement there than in 2012. It wasn't just the transit sections that have pavement. And it was just my opinion...my teeth would still shake at 430 miles on a two-stroke...

:freaky
  20. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer: