Tailgating

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TeneRay, Mar 12, 2013.

1. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

½ second is generous, so many times in metro traffic cars are barely a car length apart @ 60mph or about 0.15 seconds and then they wonder why they got caught in a 150 car pileup
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Not true. I got hit by a June bug once, right in the throat. ABS didn't save me. That felt like getting hit by an asteroid. :D
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Key words: "felt like"

:lol3
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is getting funny,

The justifications some use for reducing their margins and options, humility is the most important safety formula.
  5. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have to ride like everyone else is an idiot or crazy or both.

Just yesterday in my car I'm in a 50 MPH zone...car in front of me is only doing 40. Can't pass as the road is curvy. Up behind me comes Mr idiot in a pickup....he's riding my ass.....what the hell riding my ass isn't going to make granny in front go any faster.....road straightens out with a passing zone....can't pass, cars are coming the other way. Once they clear there is just enough left of the passing zone to make a safe pass....I go around granny at about 60MPH....of course Mr Pickup follows....I get back in line just as the passing zone ends and here comes another pickup....Mr idiot decided he doesn't want to be behind me either and continues in the on coming lane to pass me....I could have been an ass and accelrated but whats the point....he makes it in front of me just in time to miss the on coming truck. Now here is the funny your a douche part...not 500 feet up the road he turns left to a side road....WTF why did you pass me for if you were gonna turn anyway:huh Gave him the salute as I went by....
  6. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    That's completely random. Why half and not one or three quarter? Why assume it will brake at all? And if an impact is oncoming, why should I wait with my own braking until the brake lights in front of me flash up?

Doesn't really matter that much. I have mirrors. In general I tend to get away from both quite quickly.
  7. aka Yamadog

aka Yamadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was with you until I read this. Why in hell would you even consider accelerating??!! You really want to maybe kill the pickup driver, his passengers, the oncoming truck because you don't like the way the guy drives? Wow. I thinks you need to learn to chill. Or don't drive. One or the other.

Reading Wraith's comments reminds me of an exhibit at the Science Centre here about 30 years ago. It was set up with a steering wheel, brake and gas pedals and two lights in front of you - one red, one green. When the green light was on, you applied gas. When the red lit up you hit the brakes as fast as you could. The resulting time was displayed. Almost NO ONE ever got below one second. Lots of young hot shots thought they'd have no problem. That exhibit was only dealing with reaction time - time to perceive and time to move foot. Even if you make the one second reaction you are still stuck with being one second behind in brake application. Oh well, another internet "discussion" where no opinions ever get alterred, regardless of how misguided.
  9. bumbeen

bumbeen Banned

Oddometer:
    .7s is a very fast reaction time, and it doesn't include the loading of the front suspension that is required for maximum braking pressure. You're also not going to be prepared to do a max effort quick stop so dd another half a second to gauge the vehicles actual deceleration rate. By then it is too late, enjoy the bumper.
  10. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't accelerate...I'm not out to kill anyone....I was "chilled" as you say, you missed what I' saying...if I wanted to be an asshole I could have accelerated.. I let the douche bag go....he was the one driving dangerously not me. I think you need to understand whats being said and judge a little less....
  11. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.
  12. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    They should've averaged ~0.8s, maybe there was something wrong.

Easy workaround: Use both brakes.
  13. bumbeen

bumbeen Banned

Oddometer:
    Are you on a cruiser or something? There's no workaround for loading weight on the front tire???
  14. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter on what kind of bike you are. As long as the front isn't loaded, the rear is. It's not really a "workaround" but using both brakes to best effect.
  15. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    Besides, using the front brake leads to immediately laying her down, as is known.

You guys really should not hand out dangerous advice such as using the front brake on a public forum.
  16. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Or countersteering........................:huh
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure he means 'accelerate to keep the idiot in the truck in the other lane or behind him' not 'accelerate to get around granny.'

Its no one's job to be 'road police' or to 'teach someone a lesson.' Someone does something stupid? Let it go.

M
  18. Matt 82

Matt 82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No-one's? :deal
  19. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    WTF drives by using just one foot?
  20. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Most Americans (probably) drive with their right foot only.