Cambodia in Jan - 2013

Discussion in 'Asia' started by George 99, Sep 29, 2012.

1. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owe a bunch of pics but need to do some massaging. Danny will keep y'all posted as we progress. I'll post pics as soon as I catch up a little.
  2. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    With a new day and a new plan, eight of us rode out the east end of busy Siem Reap only to get separated into what eventually became two groups. I coalesced with Ken, Vermont Dan, Gary and Alex who had varying plans for the day and varied speeds with which to get it all done.
    We wanted to see Pol Pots cremation site and the Temple in the mountains, Preah Vihear, near the Thai border north of Sra Em.
    I was on my own for a while and used the time to add to the adventure; I ran that Dream dry for the second time. Fortunately, both times I was able to push the scooter to a road side liter seller.
    We found Pol Pot's site, which apparently, according to Dan, is just over the border in Thailand, which concerned me because I didn't have my original passport and visa with me if there were questions going back.

The site itself was nothing but a dirt road with a rope across it and a simple shelter like a toll booth which had a very unofficial looking toll taker who appeared a minute after we arrived. There was no verbal communication at all, only a book of tickets with $2 on it. From what we could tell, he want $2 each bike, but from what I saw I refused to go beyond and said I would wait for the others. He eventually let all of us in for Gary's $2.
    My expectations of an interesting photo op was low as we approached a dusty* roped in rectanglular shaped weedy area with a corrigated steel hood over part of it. Not much of a memorial for anyone. Maybe too much for a tyrant.
    A rusty sign marked it's historical significance. Our "toll taker" strolled up the road as we meandered around the site discussing Georges intentions to pee on this memorial. As toll guy arived we were taking about fulfilling this goal but no one wanted to with him there. A tyrant who abuses power is one thing, killing millions of innocents is quite another. My contempt needed to be demonstrated.
    "Don't do it" Danny gets an idea. I indicate to him that I need to go number one very badly and ask if there is a place. He shrugs as I move closer to the site holding myself. He made no move to stop me; he even smiled. You can quess the rest. Photos on request.

Later, as we were getting a room in Sra Em, I noticed new oil under my left fork. Again, mechanics and gas are all over and I found a good one after the third place I stopped.
    While new seals were getting installed by what looked like a 12 year old, I was discussing many things with the boss. I turn away from the work for a moment to talk and turn back ...the plastic was off. Again, we talk some more in broken english and then suddenly a fork was off.
    I showed him the pics of the cremation site and he said the Khmer text on the sign indicated they are trying to restore it. I wondered why since he was responsible for millions of inocent people being murdered.
    I asked if he thought Pol Pot was good or bad by use of thumbs up or down. He thumbed up for SOB. I checked three times with repeated throat cutting gestures.* He along with a few other in the shop area simple laughed and thumbed up for the cruel tyrant. I was certain there was some miscommunication but relieved that I didnt reveal the number one story. :)
    New fork seals 30 minutes... $5. Now, back to the beer drinkers at the hotel for some grub.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Droid S 3 & TT2
  3. George 99

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to my Cambodia album at Picasa. Lots of pics but still need to post some comments. Also some out of order, don't let it confuse ya.

Setting in bed in Battambang, Cambodia right now after a brief but decent ride today. I luv the food over here, lots of currys and hot peppers. Riding has been not much exciting for the group I'm with, but riding a 110 scooter in serious highway traffic is excitement enuff. :eek2

Lots more to come.
  4. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
  5. George 99

Oddometer:
  6. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Nice pics.
    Looks like SES and Sustainable Cambodia are doing a good job with the kids :thumb
  7. George 99

Oddometer:
    5 Cambodia albums now, here's a link to all my public albums.

Great time after 10 days in Cam, headed to Bangkok on Sunday then night train to Chiang Mai... more moto planned. About 800 miles on the little tiddlers so far.

Many pics of unusual bikes, I'll make an album just for them. Most "fun" appear to be similar to they Yamaha TW-250. wide rims and fat tires by all the Japanese manufactures. The Honda is called an FT, the Suzuki we saw today is a 200cc "Grass Tracker.) Look like they could handle anything S.E.A. could dish out.

Moe to come.
  8. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    Joe struggled through the MAC process to get this video and photo montage assembled.
    It mostly shows the ricketty train we loaded everything onto to ride to a point on the map where we had a shot at finding a water fall, Chro La Eang.
    Check out the clutch lever. Talk about standing room only. :eek:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KVw46erCzdc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=KVw46erCzdc

Thanks Joe...great job!
    Droid S 3 & TT2
  9. George 99

Oddometer:
    Motoring around Thailand on CRF-250s, much more amenable than the scooters were. Good fun tho Joe has fallen twice. No real harm. 250 still ain't enuff, tho, won't pull 3rd gear up a stiff hill. We're going farther afield, Raven and I did an overland route thru primitive mountain area to Pia while Danny, Dan, and Joe went back toward the Mynmar border.

Raven is leaving back to Chiang Mai today, I'll hook up with the others in Mae Hong Son where Dan (VT Beemer) is looking for his phone. :D

Many more pics to come, in the meantime go back 'n look at my Mexico/Belize/Guatemala albums, much the same level of society tho far removed from each other.

One other observation: Thailand is much more advanced than Cambodia tho they are working hard on getting over the Khmer Rouge disaster.
  10. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    VT Dan makes another bold border run and exploration. Such enthusiasm to ride the unknown single tracks of SEA is difficult to resist especially on these CRF Twofiddies. I've gotten more real dirt riding in the past two days than I've had in years. The bond between me and this bike is complete. It will be hard to turn it back in as it is a versatile, stable and sturdy platform for third world style LD riding. Maybe its not the bike for the SS 1000 but I could live on it for weeks and maybe months at a time if the surface varies as much as it does here.
    It is really fun to ride and gives me more confidence to follow experience trackers like Dan down hours long you name it paths to who knows where.
    View attachment 132012

Droid S 3 & TT2
  11. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe and Danny (and anyone else still here)

I hope you all have a great time in what long or little time you have remaining. I managed to make it to Chiang Mai and loved it there. Next time I'd like to pull and Joe/Danny and come for 3 months with CM as my base.

I'm in Bangkok winding down getting ready for my 5am flight on Friday.

Joe and Danny, keep on posting. I'm anxious to hear how the rest of you trip goes.

And, Danny. No more pissing on graves!!!! :evil

Hope to see all of you FFs in the future.

Ken
  12. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    Ken, we are still having a great time in Thailand and are currently three riders in Chiang Rai...George &Joe are with me.
    Sorry had such trials and tribs getting around but we are glad you were with us during the RideForCambodia.
    Sometime, when you get a chance, we'd like to hear about the passport episode.
    Also, when you get a chance, can you and Gary send the pic of me pissing Pol Pots cremation site.
    Email.... Digiamo@Gmail.com

Haven't peed on any graves since...;)[​IMG]

Droid S3 & TT2
  13. George 99

Oddometer:
    I now have all my Cambodia pics up on Picasa and I'm working on a couple weeks worth of Thailand. Couple videos coming too but nothing as good as Joe's movies.

We're still having a great time, picked up a new friend, DC on a new CBR250. He's been coming here for years and is showing us parts of Thailand we probably would have missed.
  14. George 99

Oddometer:
    Well, we're still kicking here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Danny, Joe, and I are now on little Honda Clicks, scooters with auto belt drives. Good enuff for the local roads. The CRF-250-Ls hauled us about 3000 K around Northern Thai, including Shiang Ri and the Golden Triangle. Met another guy on a CBR-250 (Doug from Alaska) who showed us the long way 'round before we ended up back here.

Only minor problems including a few dirt and pavement get-offs. No serious damage and I'm the only one wearing bandages.

I'm still trying to catch up on my pics, but there are now 6 Cambodia and 2 Thailand albums which brings the calendar up to 2-5. I'm only 3 weeks behind. :clap

We're leaving Riders' Corner tomorrow evening after the BBQ for Phuket and some beaches, then on to Laos before I have to high-tail it back home.

Stay tuned...
  15. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    George a RR needs dialog to figure out what the F-ing the pictures are all about
  16. George 99

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta open the pic and scroll thru to see the dialog, nearly every pic in each album has text.

Just met a bunch of folks at Riders' Corner in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Greg
    Frazier
    , 5-time globe circler, just walked in. Big BBQ here tonight.

4 Montana guys, all went to high school together, just rolled in from a ride around, similar to what we did last week. Bunch of 'nother folks we haven't met yet.
  17. George 99

Oddometer:
    Folks, my SEA trip is complete,,, home to Kingman, AZ yesterday morning early. (Travel tip: don't fly United Airlines.)

More pics coming at my Picasa albums. Both TAG Memorial albums are finished with comments and quotes from the participants. Many more pics to come on various albums. Go to picasaweb.google.com/cattmando and pick the album of yur choice. WARNING: I took nearly 4000 pics in 2 months and I'm gonna keep most. These are for my old-age memories but happy to share. :D

(To see the comments, ya have to open first pic in each album and scroll thru,,, the comments are in the upper right corner.)
  18. George 99

Oddometer:
    More pics at my Picasa albums and even more coming. Ya gotta open the album and click on the first pic to begin reading the comments.
  19. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the work you did to get this RideForCambodia story out so people can enjoy it.
    You were a blast to travel with.:clap
  20. George 99

Oddometer:
    Danny, I enjoyed it too. The hi-light of the trip had to be the week on the sail boat (apologies to all the motocyclists reading this. :D)

Many more pics to come, working on the "bikes of Cambodia" and "bikes of Thailand albums" now. Also gotta do the boat album. Jeez, so many pics, so little time.