Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    PM sent!:evil:freaky
  2. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried searching the thread for ATK but not enough letters, so here goes.

Bike's a '99 605 that someone is looking to trade me. I'm wondering about cush drive options. It has Talon hubs and Excel A60's I believe, 2.15x18. Could the Talon be fitted with a cush or should I be looking for something off another bike? I'm hearing about options for a KLR or DR650 wheel working (with spacer mods, not sure if I could keep the stock rotor or not), but getting one of those in a 18" or going down to 17" sounds like bigger money or a loss in ride quality.

I've also noticed people saying LC4 wheels work for SM stuff, but that's the wrong wheel for what I'm looking to do. Not sure if their hubs can be fitted to a 2.15x18. I'd like to be able to put a few hundred slab miles on to get to a rally without wearing out the drivetrain and still keep up on the trails, but the cush issue is the #1 problem in making it more 50/50 friendly. I know about the Kush Sprockets as well but the verdict is out on their quality/value.

Any advice on making this work is greatly appreciated.
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are looking into what will work on the ATK for a cush hub. Need to get a rear wheel with the spacer's, bearings, rotor and sprocket. RAD makes all our billet cush hub's but they don't have anything listed.

I will post when we find out what is compatable.

Thanks zach

4. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Yo,

I am building up a Ninja 650R into a dirt machine. I am using KTM 450 suspension including swingarm. Since the countershaft sprocket is much further outboard on a sport bike vs dirt bike, I currently have a chain alignment issue. I solved this on the CBR i built by spacing out the rear sprocket and machining down the CS sprocket (to get it closer to the block). That took care of all alignment issues.

Someone in my build thread suggested that instead of centering the KTM swingarm (it is narrower than the Ninja frame and needs spacers) I should move the swingarm all the way to the left so that the chain aligns with everything stock. Then relace the wheel to the right to get the tire back on center.

I did that last night (moved the swingarm) and it made the packaging of the KTM shock much nicer too so I think I want to run with this.

The distance the tire needs to be offset is about 0.55". Is that too much? Would I need new spokes? $$?

This is how it looks with swingarm centered

[​IMG]

This is how it looks with swingarm offset to the left

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last bike you guys helped me with was the FZ1 but that was running a KTM 950 swingarm and cush and was much wider I did not need to do anything to get that to work.

Thanks

Peter
  5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ....in order to compensate the swing-arm having been moved to left??/

we should be able to if the rear hub flanges/spoke holes are wide enough to still have some decent geometry..this is accomplished several ways:
    1,,lengthening spokes on left side and shortening on right,,,we can figure out how much
    2,,the nipple holes will have to be re-angulated and countersunk to accomodate the different angle of attack
    3,,we'd want stronger spokes on right usually to accomodate extra stress
    4,,custom spoke kit ss heavy duty w ss nipples circa $125+/-
    5,,having us superlace it would be cheapest/bullet proof option ,,includes re-angling/countersinking as part of process with a 1 year warranty= $111

holler when you are ready:wink:
    :freaky
    woody

6. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    If I'm going to spend the money to do this is there a better hub like a 640 or rad that I can get that will give me cush drive that fits the swingarm?

I'm ready btw:lol3
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    sailah,,yes there's all kinds of cush hubs available,,,whether they will work for your project depends on:

1,, the spacing/lining up of your sprockets CS and rear
    2,,location of disc relative to caliper
    3,,axle diameter
    4 location of rim relative to hub and center-line of bike
    5,,your pocketbook...FYI most RAD cush drive assemblies are circa $550 these days oem ones a little more or less,,used ..circa 30-70% of new depending on condition and demand
    6,,ya need to draw a sketch/take pics and show me the node points /fill in the data i mentioned above
    7,,lot's of folks just bring the bike by or at least the wheel/axle/swing-arm with caliper on it,,and we can take it from there perfectly

holler
    woody
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    for some reason,,i just checked my ''signature'' to see if i could add my Skype address for those that prefer that medium...me???,,i love it 'cuz i can talk n do show n tell at the same time,,,you can show me your problems etc etc..

guess what??? in the statistics section..it showed the following:
    [​IMG] Mini Statistics

<dl class="smallfont list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade">Date of Birth</dt><dd>April 13, 1942 (70)</dd><dt class="shade">Joined</dt><dd>06-24-2004</dd><dt class="shade">Total Posts</dt><dd>3,000</dd></dl>that means this will be post # 3001
    :freaky
    thanks for asking all those questions over the years
    sincerely,
    woody
    <dl class="smallfont list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt>just checked,,,sure enough...</dt><dd>[​IMG]</dd></dl>Mini Statistics

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="100%"> <dl class="smallfont list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade">Date of Birth</dt><dd>April 13, 1942 (70)</dd><dt class="shade">Joined</dt><dd>06-24-2004</dd><dt class="shade">Total Posts</dt><dd>3,001</dd></dl></td></tr></tbody></table>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="100%">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  9. scram1

scram1 Dark Knight

Oddometer:
    how much would it be to relace an 18" rim onto the hub of a stock 21" from a '75 xl350? please and thank you.
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ok,,,

1,,you'll need another spoke kit circa $100 ss spokes n nipples $60 used

2,,you'll need a rim $100-200 depending less used

3,,custom lace n true= $99,,want it super strong= Superlace @ $111 with one year warranty

:deal
    woody
  11. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    When will mine be done??? :D:D:D:D:D
  12. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zach, got your PM, can't wait until they get here!
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Hi Bigdave,

Thought I'd throw some teaser's of the wheels, they are being sealed right now:clap

z

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,
    I have an '90 Africa Twin RD04 rear hub (not the whole wheel, just a hub) , could you superlace 18X2.5" gold excel rim on it ???
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Yes we have superlaced the africa twin hubs to 18 x 2.5 gold excel's before, Are you putting it on the Transalp?

IF you supplied the hub it would be 430 + shipping to superlace it with an 18 x 2.5 gold excel and heavy duty stainless steel spokes/nipples.

thanks zach:D

16. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:

Damn those look good!!!!
  17. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    You're Killin' me here Zach!!!

Those are going to look great with the Galfer Wave Rotors!
  18. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for fast reply Zach. I will be sending to you soon.

19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Hey BigDave75,

We wish it could have been an Xmas present, but the wheels are on their way. They shipped out yesterday.

Have a great holiday.

thanks zach:clap