Help me identify this F650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bleemus, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to look at this bike this weekend. All they can tell me is that it is a 1999 F650 "special edition".

Not exactly sure what was special as it looks like a basic Funduro.

[​IMG]
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    As far as I can tell it's a standard Funduro

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/F650HistoryDifferences.htm

"F650 Classic (Funduro) and ST

In the beginning, Rotax built the motors for Aprilia and BMW. Aprilia built the bikes for both. Rotax is Austrian and Aprilia is Italian. The motors are not identical, though they do share many parts. The BMW head is four valve, dual plugged and the Aprilia is five valve, single spark plug. Besides the cams themselves being different, cam timing is different, too. The Pegaso makes more horsepower, with a peakier curve than the BMW which has a flatter horsepower curve and most of the torque delivered over a much wider rpm range.

1994 was the first model year for the BMW F650 Funduro in Europe. The Funduro remained unchanged until 1997. There was also the ST (sport touring). (I forget the model years). The main differences between the Funduro and ST are fairing shape and size of the front wheel. The motor, frame, ass-end of the bike and so forth are all identical. More information on the differences between the F and the ST are discussed below.

In 1997, the bike was certified for the USA. This changed the Euro-spec bikes, too. This model remained unchanged to the end of its run in 2000. The fairing and (black plastic) engine covers for '97 on have a different shape. The windshield is different, too. I believe the tank covers are identical, which would mean you could swap fairings (with engine covers & windshield) between early and late versions. The early version had bug-eye turn-signals, built into the fairing. The late version has indicators on stalks which bolt to the fairing.

The early version has a self-returning Sidestand and the late version has an (easily defeated) ignition cut-out switch. The early version had a removable gas cap. The late version has a hinged gas cap. The early version has a temperature gauge on the left side. The late version has a clock in that hole. The idiot lights are different, to match the lack of temp gauge. (Fitting a temp gauge instead of an idiot light means changing the sender, too.) The Euro version has a light switch on the right control (missing on the later version) allowing OFF, ON, and PARK.

There are a whole bunch of parts identical between the Funduro and the Pegaso, too many to list here. (I don't even know what-all.) But if you put them side by side, you'll see lots of IDENTICAL stuff as well as lots of stuff that has the identical form and function, which will clearly FIT. I am told that the Aprilia has ball bearings for crank mains and BMW uses plain bearings. But this has not been verified, yet.

The ST model was only available in the US in '97 and '98. NOT available in 99. So if its a '99 F650 it isn't a ST (US Only).

Single Spark GS, Dakar and CS

For the 2001 model year, starting manufacture in mid-late 2000, BMW took the bike in-house. They revamped the design of the bike, almost entirely. The new bikes benefit from fuel injection and the gas tank residing under the seat, with a faux tank cover... someone who owns one can say what. ABS became available. The motor now has four valves and one spark plug. There is a GS and Dakar models which are very closely aligned. The Dakar has a bigger front wheel and higher seat height. Graphics differ.

BMW had a recall on the gas tanks of the early F.I. models. BMW had a recall on a rear brake strut of pre (date?) units. And many feel that BMW SHOULD have a recall on the fuel injection system. (Others are quite happy.) Surging and stalling are the main complaints about the F.I. with various fixes available, including an updated map, an updated Software installation version, replacing the injector nozzle with one from the R1150, an updated pressure regulator and someone found drilling holes in the Airbox snorkels helped. (Why BMW can't FIX the thing has many people stymied.) Common lore is that when threatened with litigation, BMW has bought back F.I. bikes which can not be civilized, under non-disclosure agreements. Note that the bikes BMW gave the press for the US introduction were NOT USA-spec bikes, but Canadian.

In the US "2000" models are special editions to use up the last of the old frames and have marks like FL. These differ only in bodywork details to the Funduro and ST. 2001 saw the first of the FI models. GS and the new CS are the direct replacements for the Funduro and ST respectively, but have more mechanical differences. A Dakar is a GS with additional off road refinements (like a 21 front wheel). All are great bikes."
  3. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detail Gravel Seeker. I will be interested to hear from the owner why they believe it to be a special edition. They are the original owner.
  4. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Don't mention it

To be honest I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the text:

"In the US "2000" models are special editions to use up the last of the old frames and have marks like FL. These differ only in bodywork details to the Funduro and ST. 2001 saw the first of the FI models."

It's a bit confusing and it sounds like the special edition actually is an FI bike with a Funduro/ ST frame since the special edition stuff is written under the the FI models.

But you can't use a Funduro/ ST frame on an FI bike since they have completely different layout of the tank among other things. As far as I recall the Funduro/ ST has a traditional single tube centered over the engine where the tank hangs. The FI models have two square tubes on either side of the engine and the tank underneath the saddle.

What I think it is:
    BMW won the 1999 new year/ january 2000 Dakar race with a bike based on the Funduro, but with different plastic (and suspension), but it used the carb'd engine.
    The FI Dakar model was built to celebrate their Dakar victory and it was released in Europe during the latter part of summer 2000.
    But they still had a few Funduro frames and held off introducing the FI bike to the US market untill all the Funduro parts had been used and most of the bikes sold. To be able to sell the old model in the US when a new one was already released elsewhere they changed a few minor bodywork details and labeled it "Special edition". Don't ask me what those bodywork details were.

So to summarize: It's a Funduro (the ST's front fender didn't go down the forklegs)
  5. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. All great info!! Thanks. It has 4k miles and the owner said "looking to get 2 grand for it". Has a couple of scratches from pulling into garage and hitting rakes hanging on the wall but has never been dropped. Hoping it isn't a FI though. Appreciate the help!
  6. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Haha, you just can't make shit like that up :lol3

And again, it's not an FI - pretty sure it's a standard Funduro
  7. Noobie Doobie

Noobie Doobie Born to Noob

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm going to weigh-in, because I own a 1999 BMW F650 Funduro "Special Edition".

It's not FI, there are no special body parts, there is no turbocharger, no supercharger, no special performance parts.

Here are the differences:
    1. It's silver.
    2. It has factory heated grips.
    3. It has factory bag mounts.
    4. It's by far the fastest F650 available.:D

That is all.

P.S.: 2 grand is a great price for a low-mileage example. Good bike!
  8. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohhhhh, always wanted heated grips! Didn't get to see the bike this weekend as owner got called away but I have been promised first dibs. Thanks!
  9. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update! Got the bike for $2100 with 4k miles and never dropped. Luggage included. Very excited! Can't wait to try the heated grips!
    Thanks to all for your help. Hope to be posting ride reports as soon as the snow melts! :(
  10. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    You got a good deal. The only thing to study up on for one that age, regardless of miles, is the "pukin' petrol syndrome". Well described at f650.com Tech FAQs. Usually caused by the deterioration of either the rubber tip of the float needles, the small o-ring on the float hanger bracket, or the larger o-ring around the outside of the float needle seat. Or any combnation of those three. I think the first time on my 99 I also found a little erosion on the lip of one needle seat. Float needles/seats/the outer o-ring are sold as a set only.

But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just wait until you find a puddle under the bike one day.

Tip, when you ever do have to pull the carbs, do as described in the f650.com FAQs. Spray silicone or other rubber friendly lube on the rubber boots and use something like a Motion Pro 10" tire spoon to help get the carbs and boots separated. Makes a BIG difference in how much cursing and swearing you do. :lol3

That being said, in over 45 years of riding, my 99 Funduro is the best all round bike I've ever ridden.
  11. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark! I will keep an eye out for the puking! Never rebuilt a bike carb but plenty of mowers, outboards etc. so I should be fine.
    Can't wait to ride!
  12. The Cameraman

The Cameraman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bleemus,

from the photo it also looks like it's one of the lowered chassis models. I had one back in 1995 and it was a great bike.

Regards

Reggie
  13. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the owner bought it it was in stock and was not lowered but they had the dealership lower it before picking it up. It comes with the original center and kick stands as well as the shorter links. First wrench I am doing is to raise it up again! :1drink
  14. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah. The old "I forgot it was going to lean when I put it on the sidestand" trick. BTDT.