The F800GS Seat

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by M N B, Dec 14, 2008.

1. bofrick

bofrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was unhappy with my standard seat after riding to Guatemala and back.

I took it to a Denver suburb and had Bitchin' Stitchin' shave a bunch off change the slide forward and implant a gel pad.

They did the mod while I was there and made an initial assessment with me sitting on the bike (no stand) and then had me periodically get back on to see how the fit was coming out. They did an excellent job!

It now is much more comfortable, better maneuverability and only cost a little over $200.

Very satisfied.
  2. Tumper72

Tumper72 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Mine should be here tomorrow...09/13/2012...:clap
  3. B-B

B-B out of my lane

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried the Moose Racing seat?

[​IMG]
  4. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    The 2013 I bought had the comfort seat on it and I like it. I'm about 6' and 200# with a 30" inseam.
  5. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    Could not take the "low" seat for more than an hour. I actually lowered my suspension all around with the Hyperpro springs and the comfort seat is about an inch higher than the stock low seat so my net gain was an inch for my 30" inseam. So far so good . I have done a 1500 mile 4 day ride and the comfort seat was awesome.. my .02
  6. B-B

B-B out of my lane

Oddometer:
    Bought a Moose Racing seat to check it out. Overall, not impressed. The foam is thick and soft, so its like sitting on a pillow, but because the pan is too weak/flexible when you sit on it the pan bends up in the front. The nose is also too thick for my taste. The fit to the bike is poor, the stitching and foam is uneven. I like the suede like material though.

Packaging from Revzilla was SHIT. Probably this seat was already returned by someone else, the Moose Racing box was ripped open and the seat was wrapped in some blisterpacking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG Lost on purpose.

Oddometer:
    Dude, send that garbage back and pick up something like a Sargent Seat. Fit and finish is excellent. It looks OEM and feels amazing.
  8. B-B

B-B out of my lane

Oddometer:
    Already have a Sargent on the way, I was interested in the moose seat due to the fabric and the step being farther back to provide more room to move.
  9. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    My 700GS came with the comfort seat because somebody ordered it and didnt want it. It really is comfortable, I can't believe it! First BMW seat I ever had that was actually useable!
  10. EPMD

EPMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i got this bike used a couple months ago. the guy sold gave me a Sargent comfort seat in standard height. he sold the OEM standard height.

i's been ok. it is too dished out for me and impeded my ability to scoot around and only really has one seating position pretty much. but the bigger problem was angle of the seat. it pitched you forward, and i felt like i was sitting on a slant when all the way back planted in the seat. i found it uncomfortable on long stretches and i get super painful should ache. that being said, i know lots of people find the seat super comfortable so it's a personal thing.

i bought this TT low seat which on initial impression limited to short rides, the seat is much flatter. you can't tell really because the picture is deceiving. the cover is wrapped tightly and doesn't stick to the foam at the rear portion of the saddle. the foam is actually cut much flatter than you can see.

so far it's a winner. i will test on longer range hopefully soon....

for reference, i am 5'8" 30 " inseam (that's being generous sadly...) and i can stand on the balls of both feet with regular shoes on. haven't ridden with MX boots on yet but i suspect it should be fine.

also i tried the standard height TT comfort seat and it was too tall for me. i'm generally comfortable on tall bikes but it was too wide and too tall. so back to touratech it went. this is the low and it might be perfect.

[​IMG]
  11. mawbster

mawbster n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the Wunderlich Ergo Low seat. It is better than the factory BMW "Low" seat but probably not worth the $589 plus shipping. It is a very well made seat...but still needs an airhawk or something on rides over 100 miles or so.
  12. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who give a shit what it looks like ...

What does it FEEL like?

My Sargent was no better than stock seat. Pan was so flimsy that it was rubbing on the computer. It has the same slant that the stock one has as well which means you slide in to the pocket making the wide part useless. It went back and my salvation was ordered in the for of a Renazco with a 3" lift. I can flat foot but that is something only street riders worry about.
  13. Skoots

Skoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody looking to get rid of a low seat? My stock seat is to high.
  14. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Put an ad in the Flea Market if you haven't already. We had a low that we couldn't give away. Advertised for $75, no takers. Then we seen a Want ad on the same site and he paid us $125 for it. All about timing I guess. We ditched the low cause they remove more foam to lower an already painful seat. Ride time was lower also. :D
  15. Skoots

Skoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying I have perused over all the seat threads till my eyes hurt. My question is what seat gives you the lowest drop? I'm not to worried about it being comfortable at this point. Just want to know who offers the lowest seat.

Thanks
  16. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    From everything I've seen and read, the BMW factory low seat is the lowest seat you can get. I have one, but also have less than 250 km on my new bike so far. The damn snow just doesn't seem to respect the start of our riding season!

I was dreading the comfort (or more accurately the lack of comfort) reported with the low seat, but I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised so far. Of course the real test will be after a few hours in the saddle, but maybe my rear end is padded enough that I don't need so much padding on the seat itself. :) I love the "dip" in the seat that really keeps you from sliding back too far.

17. B-B

B-B out of my lane

Oddometer:
    I'd say the lowest seat is the stock seat with the foam cut out.
  18. AK_Troyer

AK_Troyer Not AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the stock seat on the 800GSA will fit the earlier 800's? I like the look of that one.
  19. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was going through my pictures and found these pictures, which I never got around to posting on here. A little burned out with work and bored so figured I would share.

These are pictures of my 2013 F8 with the stock standard seat, BMW Comfort seat, and Touratech breathable standard seat. I took the pictures to compare the seat pan, seat height, and width.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the stock seat pictures, there is definitely a forward slant. Even with an AirHawk I couldn't ride more than an hour without squirming.

I ended up keeping the Touratech and so far so good. The BMW Comfort seat is good also but my gluteus maximus's are a little too maximus. Not all fat but muscle from weight lifting. It wouldn't allow me to move around at all.

I would be happy to answer any questions. I spent a LOT of time and energy shopping and researching seats before finally settling in.
  20. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    800 GSA seat does not fit the 800 gs.