EWS Immobilizer antenna threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CarbonCat, Apr 8, 2006.

1. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I dond't remember the data, but all numbers that has been discussed here has been added.

[TaSK]
  2. dometop

dometop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two friends and I are planning an extended trip and since we all ride GS's we deciced to pool our resources and purchase a spare Ring antennae from our dealer. One of the guys had ring failure at 4200 miles.
    I went to the dealer armed with the part numbers listed on this forum and guess what. He said the numbers I had listed were obsolete.
    The numbers I presented him were 61357714207 which I understood was replaced by 61357717136. He looked up the antennae ring and said the part number ending in 207 was replaced by part number 61357705247.
    Also, to confuse the issue even more he said the new part number was listed at $82.50 and the 207 price was around $140. It's hard to believe BMW would have such a large (or any) price reduction. He insist that the information is correct. Has anyone been given this 247 number by their dealer?
    Our dealer claims he has never ordered an antennae ring and has none in stock. I checked with the service manager and he confirmed that this dealer has had no customers with antennae ring failures that he was aware of. We decided to order trhe Ring and check with this site to see if we could confirm the validity of this part number. I would appreciate your input.
  3. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Better Find, Rick/GB
    Ya gotta love Harbor Freight. I honestly think much of their stuff is just crap, but I also think they have the same warranty as Craftsman/bring in broken, get a new one. The crap comment is that my business judgment tells me it has to be crap, right?:D :D But, based upon the numbers of times I use the tool, well, makes sense. E.g. A Milwaukee [brand name] Sawzall, last time I looked, about 150 bucks or so as I best remember. Harbor Freight/Ohio/Chicago/Pittburgh, WTF with all of the industial states/cities, $25.95. GMAFB! And, it works and comes with a spare set of armature brushes, can you stnad it?:clap
  4. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I'll add the new number to the FAQ. Please keep us informed on any progress on this issue.

[TaSK]
  5. adamr

adamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not me. I was at my dealer late last week and the parts dept gave me the 207 number at $150.
  6. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you mean 'RENT'?
    Antenna Rings R'Us :D
  7. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or does it appear odd that, looking at the last 5 digits of the part numbers, the "newer" part number is an older numeric sequence? I mean, it's possible, but given typical German precision, 14207 -> 17136 -> 05247 doesn't seem plausible...:dunno I think we need to check with a few dealers before posting this to the FAQ as "factual."
  8. Hi-zoot

Hi-zoot Living for the Weekend

Oddometer:
    Crap....Just bought my new '08 GS on the 22nd. I got 285 miles from home and it wouldnt start.. EWS failure. Had the bike towed 104 miles to the nearest dealer and they fixed me up . I was told that it shouldnt happen again. I'm really hoping that is the case. I havent read this whole thread, so sorry if this has been brought up, but has there been anyone with multiple, or even 2 failures?
  9. adamr

adamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (2 failures...) I believe so.
  10. dwf

dwf 2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer:
    Has anyone polled the highest mileage there has been a failure?
  11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Precision indeed...issuing new part numbered antenna to fix a problem that doesn't exist! Come on, let's get real folks...can one single BMW dealer out there give us why the "EWS" is occuring, what BMW has communicated to them and why the seemingly endless antenna changes? Oh yes, what truely is the current antenna part number?

Precision my ass...BMW is stonewalling this with a complete lack of information.:deal Dealers that remain silent on this or are not banging on the door of BMW for an explanation are complicit is this balck hole of information that really damages BMW's credibility..
  12. PRW

Oddometer:
    Can you please clarify what "fixed me up" means? What did they actually do? Did they change out any parts with newer part numbers?
  13. PRW

Oddometer:
    Yo brother Phil - to be clear, I wasn't defending BMW and this problem, just their sequential part/version numbering scheme...:beer
  14. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phil, I just don't think that there's is any explanation coming from BMWNA as to what's causing this. C'mon, if someone knew what's causing it they would fix it, end of story. Warranty reimbursement for dealer labor putting in new part + cost of part, certainly no incentive to either hq nor the dealer. So, since no one really knows for sure what causes the EWS ring failure (or else it would be fixed) this is an issue that will continue. Would this make you or anyone feel better. Go purchase a ring and a #10 Torx, you'll feel better!

DATELINE 4/28/08, 16:40Z. BMWNA announces that its antenna ring failures continue to remain a mystery. Ludwig Hooeydonk, chief engineer continues to express exasperation at BMW's inability to solve this relatively simple problem. He does maintain though that failures are less than 1/10 of 1% across the BMW product line which is well within tolerance for any electrical part. He also stated to this reporter that the website ADVRIDER.COM and its constituency continue to be the the group that represents BMWNA's largest pain in the ass!:D :clap
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

If you had given a more realistic German name I might have fallen for it untill the last line! Very funny!:thumb

Jim :brow

PS The last line is true, but I doubt BMWNA is even bothering to read this forum.
  16. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim, the last name is a true one. DirectTV has been adding commercial on their To Do list, and this guy (last name correct, first name a guess), Hooeydonk is the Chief Designer for the new BMW, XA6 I think. It's their newly classifed, SPORT ACTIVITY VEHICLE!
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Damn, now that is funny!:lol3 :lol3

Jim :brow
  18. NBeener

NBeener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya' just can't make this shit up....
  19. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I corrected the spelling of 'exasperation'. Sorry!:D
  20. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    No PRW I understand that and hope the text didn't seem aimed at you..BMW is the sole source of my angst,and yes as suggested I will be buying an antenna, got the #10 Torx...if I can get the straight scoop on what really is the "latest, greatest" part number...

We are all in the same boat...amen on :beer