the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. jhomc1300

jhomc1300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am going to take a DR to CA this winter, and I will need to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck. I am wondering if I should drain the oil, or if there are any other potential problems with it being on it's side for 4 days? Thanks.
  2. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would drain the gas and the oil. Can't think of anything that would cause any problems.
  3. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure the battery isn't the kind that leaks either. Oil, fuel, and acid SHOULD be the only concerns with laying a bike over. My DR's battery doesn't leak when sideways though, and I believe it's stock.

Test your brakes before hitting the road afterwards too. Basically, T-CLOCS (MSF pre-ride checklist).
  4. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a lead acid battery, consider removing it.
  5. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Must be a reason people are saying it. :dunno It's the only seat I have issues with, both my KTM's have Renazco's, absolutely the best I've used. I need to get the DR seat sent off to them.
  7. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info there. He did a lot of miles on both a BMW Dakar and DR and has details on his mods and how they worked. I've studied his DR and taken a few good ideas away.
  8. Magnum Noel

Magnum Noel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WELCOME:clap
  9. APJ757

APJ757 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I just picked up an old 91 DR650, couldn't pass it up, and after a good day of riding Im really happy I did, its a fun bike to say the least. I've crawled through the engine today as well to try to figure out all the mods/adjustments that have been done to it, and unfortunately I'd say its been owned by some creative mechs over the years, with missing vacuum lines, cut wires ect. So it will take me a while to figure out why and what.

I'm going to take it to a shop this week, (a guy I have used locally for years) just to give it a GOOD look over. Any other suggestions would be great, forums to read (besides this one if course) what to look for, common DR aging problems,

My only problem with the bike is starting it cold,, takes a good bit, probably about 1-2 minutes,, once its running it starts 1st or 2nd kick, So that's first on my list of things to figure out & fix.
  10. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam is pretty specific on how he wants his bike set up and did an excellent job. I never had a problem with the stock switches and haven't done any power upgrades. I've completed a lot of the same mods on my bike. Adam stayed with us for 4 days prior to going into Mexico. His bike is well thought out for his use and sturdy. I believe he sold it recently with 75,000 miles on it.

Jay also has a great build documented on his site. Equally impressive and thought provoking. http://jamminglobal.blogspot.com/2010/02/about-bike.html
  12. APJ757

APJ757 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    I've put around 6,000 miles on my Corbin, and it's still overly firm. The support is nice, but I've been considering adding 1/2"-1" of softer foam to the top of the seat for that initial comfort. I don't have a problem with it being too wide when standing, so I guess I'm in the bow-legged tall people group as well.

She looks great, man. Isn't the 712 a cruiser tire? How does it handle compared to your average sport touring type tire (Pilot Road, Roadsmart, etc)?
  14. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it so far, feels very stable in the corners. I have never ridden with a sport touring tire, so I cannot compare. I got these because they had excellent wear and rain performance. I found myself getting stuck in the rain a little too much last summer!
  15. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    Where did you pick up a 17 front in that model? Looks like they have them in 16,18, and 21 fronts. For commuting, those look like really nice tires.
  16. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's actually a 19" wheel. It's a Shinko 712 110/90-19
  17. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    My brakes are well, kinda sucky. They are also noisy (lots of squeaks and grinds as I stop). The stopping power is acceptable, but not breathtaking.

I have a couple of questions - first, is it possible my pads are worn-out in only 1000 miles? I haven't had bikes in about 15 years, but I don't seem to remember them wearing out that fast (of course that was a lot of cheeseburgers ago so I am heavier now).

If so, does anyone have recs on a set of pads? I don't really want to replace rotors etc, as they seem to be fine.

TIA for any info.
  18. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Different pads wear at different rates in different conditions. I run EBC "R" compound in DR. Mud around here is tough on anything but the "r"'s. DR650's have adequate brakes, but they can benefit greatly with braided brake lines. If there is material left on the carriers, you should have many miles left. I run mine way down and still have plenty of grab. I do have braided lines front and rear.
  19. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    My guess is your pads are contaminated with dirt, grease, oil, soap or something. Had sucky brakes on my current DR and after changing to new pads I am very happy with my brakes. I hear many people talk about braided lines but I see no need for them on my DR with new pads and clean disk,

TravelGuy

20. sagebrushocean

sagebrushocean Harris's hawker

Oddometer:
    +1 on the braided brake line, at least for the front. I ride my DR almost exclusively on the street, and the braided lines give much better control and braking power. Night and day difference.