Rockies regional randomness

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd imagine it's a Michelin Desert something; he has sponsorship from Michelin.
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    He thought about using Tami's old XT, but the ergonomics were wrong for him.

[​IMG]
  3. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Michelin Desert Race

[​IMG]
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    you have to wonder how long that rear hub would last too :lol3

5. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!:clap
  6. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Just crank up the preload a bit...
  7. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Someone mentioned passing the Google car the other day....

A few months ago, just as I was leaving the office I passed the Google car coming the other way as I was riding the Ninja north.

They finally updated their map :lol3

http://goo.gl/maps/M93Gb
  8. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Talk about a missed wheelie opportunity!
  9. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    You can see I'm looking at the car....it took a second to figure out wtf was that apparatus on the top of it.

I should've waved :lol2
  10. ColoradoV-Strom

ColoradoV-Strom HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer:
    what are the odds?
  11. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    The odds appear pretty good actually since they got me on my bicycle ride back in July.

http://goo.gl/maps/b46LO

The interesting part is they appear to have run the road twice, once in each direction, and merged the two since if you try to zoom in, the perspective changes from one lane to the other, the vehicles all change, and I disappear.
  12. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, would not touch with proverbial 10' pole. :lol3

Marc
  13. Joz

Joz What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    No. Lots of usable RV's for sale at good prices around here. Even if you wanted a project, the fact that the glass is missing means the interior is shot. And getting the title could be a royal pain.

Edit: A few more thoughts:
    A junkyard engine will cost $225 (current price from the Denver Pull-n-Pay junkyards) but it will likely need work. I'd bump that up to $500 just to get an engine that will run. Now, if you want something reliable it will obviously cost a bit more, but that should get you moving. That's assuming that the transmission and the rest of the driveline is usable. And assuming that you do all the labor to get an old one and install it.
    Glass will probably run $400 to $500. You'll have to get custom tempered glass made for everything. What about the windshield? Is it still there?
    If the glass is missing - why. And what has been living inside it since the glass was removed (or shot out)? What about interior weather damage? If snow/rain has been inside then the already flimsy construction of an RV like this will be compromised.
    What about the appliances?
    Roof condition?
    Tires?

My first RV was bought with no title. It was a real pain 20 years ago. I don't have any idea how hard it would be today.
    Lots of similar age/size RVs on CL in the $2500 to $4000 range. But in very nice condition - just dated interiors.
    I understand not having enough money to but a usable RV, but the reality is that you'll likely spend more to get this one into usable condition than just buying a complete and TITLED one.

Now..... If you have a spare engine sitting around, a friend at a glass shop, tons of time and are very handy and not afraid to work on RV systems (plumbing, electrical, propane, upholstery, sewer, etc) then it might be a fun project. Just be careful of the 'money pit' sign you have to walk by every time you go inside it.
  14. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    One of my friends used to have one of that vintage. The license plate said, "Shubox". :lol3
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    First two basic questions:

Is there any mold/health concerns? I can't tell - are the windows smashed? If they are.. then yes there is.. you'd have to gut it and it would be rotted out.
    Do you have somewhere to put it for free?

...but regardless.. I'd still say NO unless you need a "Breaking Bad" rolling meth lab or you have a bunch of buddies and you are planning on having an afternoon of fun ala TopGear :rofl

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ohkAxbeMxVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. Joz

Joz What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Oh. And what's it going to cost to tow that thing home? Again - assuming the tires are good enough.

My vote is still NO!
  17. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it"s good to look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Run!

:D
  18. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:

:deal

Same here.
  19. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    I would only take it if the guy would let me take the tires, axle, mirrors, guages and a few other items and then pull it away from his house and set it on fire. And if he would provide the marshmellows.
  20. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now now. Don't be so quick to dismiss. There is potential in this heap to be a hunting camp. Take the wheels off an slide it into a spot in the woods, put a roof over it, shore it up and add a pallet deck. A few bunks and a poker table, wood stove in the corner.

Let me know the address and I will be move in soon. :rofl