Going north makes my bike go south.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hardwaregrrl, Oct 22, 2008.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, my plan was to get south of Duluth and then get a hotel room. I was nervous to ride with the headlight, not knowing how long I would have on the battery. So I hauled ass a few exits south. Started getting nervous about a place to sleep, and pulled off the first exit with a lodging sign. Whoa, scary ass motor lodge, the clerk walked with a really strange limp and had a crazy lisp. Fly strips in the lobby, that kind of thing. So got back on the Hway to Duluth and found a red roof inn where I was treated very well. If you're ever in Proctor MN, stay and the RRI. the girl at the counter gave me the room closest to the parking lot and got me intouch with a really good pizzeria. Pizza, stella and Kat Von D, what could be better.
  2. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'm enjoying this one. :clap
  3. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    uses a great big tank and is a "nasty minded little fucker"! That's a cool mf. I live right off HW 69 and always liked the thought of it. Keep up the great RR:clap , Thanks for your time putting it all up.
  4. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    So, gotta back up a bit. while I was at excalibur in Thunder Bay, I had to call my buddies and see what there take on the situation was. I now know what went wrong, but being bymyself having little electrical knowledge, and no voltmeter with me I was just worried about getting home under my own power. I should;ve cracked my BMW anonymous, or my airhead book, but I didn't. Nathan Mende and Dean Graham of Boxerworks in Watkinsville GA are my lifelines. These guys are always on the mark, I've only known them a short while, but consider them very good friends. They tried to get all the info out of me to diagnose the problem. Then walk me through the repair. I have since been given a lesson in airhead electrical managament, and have Rick jones book on order. Okay, back to it. I left Proctor MN bound for Champaign Il. Pretty uneventful ride except for the weather. Again, high 30's and raining, I was stopping quite a bit to warm up my hands and feet. So sorry to all the travelers along highway 53. "Yes, the hand dryers do smell like vinegar." I made it to the next red roof inn in champaign. And, it was homecoming!!! Party city, almost didn't get a room!!! Got the battery off and on charge and headed out for some beer. I walked about a mile and a half to the gas station that didn't sell beer!!! No, no, no,...shit. Now what? Well, theres a steak house? why not. Man, this place was awesome!!! Alexanders steak house at exit 182 of 74, you can cook your own steak?! WTF!! So cook it I did. Hung out with the bartender and manager, and they were very interested in what I had been doing over the last 9 days. I do stick out a bit being so heavily tattooed, so people really like to pick my brain. Formed a little bond with the staff which resulted in them giving me a few bottles of blue moon to go!!! Nighty-nite...no camera
  5. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  6. MinnesotaTom

MinnesotaTom n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, thanks! Got a kid in Duluth (okay...the "kid" is almost 30...*sigh*) and those are the SCREWIEST highways, you're right. Used to live in Georgia and trucked all over, so this is like old home week. Looking fwd to "following you back home". Please continue.
  7. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
  8. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Again, not a very interesting last day. Got up and left Champaigne and headed home to atlanta. the thing about having mechanical problems is that I really have learned a lot since I've been home. I didn't know if I had the balls to do what I did, but I forced myself to do it. I read all your RR's and just drool and wish I had you're bad ass approach to travel. Now, I know I do. I enjoyed being mechanically fucked and having to rely on other people made me feel pretty good about humanity. I will always dream about that Alaska trip even after I've achieved it. I want to thank everyone on this site for being so honest and passionate about this great sport. I made it home at 7pm, not bad. I sat in the saddle for 350 miles without stopping, thats a new record for me. I can't believe how much money I've dumped into the old girl and she still breaks down.. but she will never quit!!! Got myself the omega charging system that should give me a little more confidence. now i know how to trouble shoot my charging system, and installed everything on my own. I dare it to fucking break now, 'cause I've got a back up!!! Hope to write another, longer and more interesting report soon. for now....ta ta.
    [​IMG]
    njmotophoto likes this.
  9. tommy salami

tommy salami What the DUECE?

Oddometer:
    Hey Great ride report!
    i have a full size gel truck battery strapped on my bike luggage rack all the time! [and i thought i was the only one!]
    mostly due to the cooler winter climate in cincinnati, the regular battery won't get me started below 25 degrees.:wink:
  10. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    sweat stained JD hat and budding mechanical skills, keep up the good work. Alaska on the big tanked airhead ready to go. I admire girls that do some of the things you've done. Rock On.
  11. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the replys. hoping to head up more into canada in the coming year. merry christmas!!! just a note on the sweat stained jd cap., my cousin gave it to me on the day of my moms funeral. it has always brought me good luck, and will never leave my tank bag. i know shes always smiling down on me when she sees i will never quit and will always beat the odds of misfortune. what an adventure every day is. happy holidays all!!!!
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on you, hardwaregrrl. I like your grit and pluck. :thumb :thumb

If you're ever coming to Southern Ontario let us know and the Ontario Adventure Riders will mobilize to take care of you and show you a fine time.

All the best in the New Year.

:thumb
    Lornce
  13. bosco

bosco Raybanned

Oddometer:
    :thumb Fun report.
  14. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Great RR and you definitely have a way with (four letter) words! :thumb
  15. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    I usually don't read ride reports, "Amsterdam was great, the Ritz was sooo divine, the tour leader Fritz," etctetc, ad nauseum
    But I stumbled on this by accident. FuKKin awesome. Sounds like some of my
    thousand milers.
    Keep it in the wind my dear and don't change, ever.
    Robert
  16. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed this one, thanks jenna :thumb
  17. Caddy82rats

Caddy82rats Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biautyfull pics and ride report.
    Thanks for sharing it
  18. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    :clap

I've done a couple of rides around Lake Superior. Next time you go past Grand Marais, stop and eat at The Angry Trout.

I drive Hwy 69 every day.
  19. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep the battery well charged and it will work for you in a car when you need it.

I live close to Toronto and am in the BMW book but there are lots of us airhead owners everywhere, next time, (hopefully there won't be one) just call.

Have an R90S myself and have used the book once many years ago in Front Royal. :lol3

I assume that you know that the pictures on pages 1 and 2 of your report are not showing up. :deal

Good report keep riding and writing.
    Carl
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap