Forever West Ride....Murphy says NO!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tn. Walrus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Tn. Walrus

Tn. Walrus Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer:
    I planned, and I saved. I got 19 days of vacation and I would use them to ride from Memphis to Rawlins Wyoming then ride the southern part of the Forever West loop. When I got to Idaho Falls I would stop and visit with family. Maybe ride a little with some inmates out there, and then blast back to Memphis. The plan was good. The equipment was good. I was good. The first 4 days were great. I had my glitch half way through day 4 when my still camera came adrift and was destroyed. As it turns out the memory card is unsalvageable. No still pics only video. No problem I'll just get a new camera on the morning of day 5. Ha...... Enjoy the video ride report.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/47560567" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  2. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    Great video, TW! :lurk

So, did I mention my WR weighs only about 300lbs unloaded? Time to see the LIGHT...

:hide
  3. Tn. Walrus

Oddometer:
    Oh I'd love to have a WR, but the only problem with them is you can't really load one up and comfortably ride from Memphis to Rawlins, and I don't think it would fit on the roof of my RX8.
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Hope you recover soon ! Nice video :clap
  5. Oh 3

Oh 3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice vid!
  6. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    Comfort is a state of mind... :choppa Discomfort, however, is a torn bicep tendon. Heal quickly!
  7. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Awww, Mr. Walrus!! :cry

That bites.

Sorry to hear about your trip interruptus.
    Enjoyed the video, though - even with the sad ending.

hope you heal up quickly!
  8. Tn. Walrus

Oddometer:
    Thanks Y'all. Yes Kelly it really bites. I should actually still be out on the trip. 3 days of highway riding to get to some dirt then BAM and I'm finished. I love my big bike, but it has some drawbacks. I had my first physical therapy today and they cleared me to ride the bike, but I still have some big time lifting restrictions with my right arm. 5 pounds max. They are still not sure if this is going to end up needing surgery. It just depends on how the PT works out.
  9. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Man, that bike is trying to kill you! :eek1

Be careful and take it easy...

we had been hoping to see you in Idaho Falls, but I guess the timing wasn't going to work out anyway.
    I hope you make it out there eventually. Great ice cream!
  10. Tn. Walrus

Oddometer:
    Yea I have taken some damage, but in truth it's more due to my own stupidity. I would have loved to go the Klim rally this year, but I had already bid out my vacation and had this trip planned. Next year I'm going to try and finish this trip out and do the Klim rally at the same time.
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    OMG! That is awful! I'm glad you at least got a sense of the route.

You better be back next year, Tn. Walrus ...
  12. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to visit Steamboat Springs .................. too bad it was mostly at our hospital. :lol3

That sucks majorly bad. :deal

At least, if you are going to bust your ass ....... might as well do it near a ski area. They usually have great orthopaedics in ski towns.

So they didn't reattach it? I had my right one reattached several years ago ( I always wondered why I threw a baseball like a 10 year old girl! :lol3) and they told me that they reattach it with one large "lock stitch" what ever the hell that is. So, it was basically a warning to take the rehab and PT VERY seriously. My doc said if I tore it loose again, that the chances were not very good to ever get it to hold properly.

Sorry that cut your trip short. Get in touch when you come out to try again. And yeah, those GSAs are real pigs ....... I ride (wrestle) one too.

BTW, I grew up across the river from you. Outside of Osceola, AR in Mississippi County.

Let the healing begin! :kurt

Good luck! Rob
  13. Tn. Walrus

Oddometer:
    Update: Last week, after I was cleared to ride I had a full up crash. I got high sided at about 30 mph and flew about 15-20 feet before landing. Klim gear did it's job, but I completed the tear. Yesterday I had surgery to re-attatch me distal biceps tendon. I now have a three month recovery ahead of me. No word yet on how bad the bike damage is. Should get that and an insurance verdict next week. It seems I am snake bit right now.
  14. Tn. Walrus

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob. You can be sure that I will be out there again!

Larry
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Man, Larry, that's some bad juju. Relieved you lived to tell. But ... Maybe stay away from MCs for a while?

QUOTE=Tn. Walrus;19440419]Update: Last week, after I was cleared to ride I had a full up crash. I got high sided at about 30 mph and flew about 15-20 feet before landing. Klim gear did it's job, but I completed the tear. Yesterday I had surgery to re-attatch me distal biceps tendon. I now have a three month recovery ahead of me. No word yet on how bad the bike damage is. Should get that and an insurance verdict next week. It seems I am snake bit right now.[/QUOTE]
  16. Tn. Walrus

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

I have no choice. I will be the one armed man for at least 3 months while I heal from this.
  17. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great video ! Dang about the first pull and later crash . Might I suggest thinking about setting yourself up with something similar to Ratman's setup ? Now you just have to decide what light weight dual sport to load on a trailer . Heal well and quickly !
  18. bc_seattle

bc_seattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video... tough ending!
    Very nice editing.
    Get the wing healed and get back on the bike.

bc
  19. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello Mr. Walrus.

Nice video.
    You listen to the same kind of music I do!

It's too bad we didn't get to meet up.
    But fortunately, there can be a next time.

Heal up well, stop crashing, and I'll see you next year. :wink:

Q~