F800GS and F650GS specs - Canada v Australia

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Harko, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Harko

Harko n00b

Oddometer:
    Toronto, Canada (nothing but straight roads)
    Hi all,

Does anyone know whether there are differences in the specs of the Canadian F800GS and F650GS and the Australian versions?

I am an Australian living in Canada soon to return to Australia. My wife and I have a 2011 F800GS and a 2012 F650GS that we have used to tour around Canada and we want to take them back with us this year. We are trying to find out if we will run in to difficulty getting the Canadian bikes registered in Australia but have not had a lot of luck so far.

Any ideas on differences?
    Has anyone else done this?

Any experience or information would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Harko
  2. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Hey Harko.

I can't answer with much authority but a few ideas come to mind.

Our headlights are designed for driving on the right so you may have to replace them when you get home. Sell them before you leave and you should get a good price as used are rare.

You should know Australia's emmission laws already regarding bikes eh? We have no testing or requirements here but they are European spec so should be the same everywhere except the US that uses charcoal cannisters.

IIRC, Radioman on his tour had to have his certified by a machanic before being able to ride there and it wasn't a big issue aside from the worn out parts.

If in doubt find a Australian parts fiche and compare. The maintenance CD (REPROM) only has 2 versions, US and the rest of the world.

I don't see a big problem but good luck! :D
  3. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    I have experience in this through military exchange postings. The specs don't matter - the bike does not have an Australian compliance plate and never can. You face two challenges:

1. Importing the bikes into Australia. In your circumstances, you should be allowed to. Refer here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

2. Registering the vehicle. This varies from State to State. In some States, you will never be able to register a vehicle manufactured after 1986 without a compliance plate. Ever. In others you may, subject to inspection. The only challenge you face for an inspection is ensuring the headlights align correctly. The bike will meet all other challenges in terms of indicators, mirrors etc so long as it is in reasonably original trim.

Once a vehicle is registered in one State, however, generally that registration must be recognised by all the others.

What State are you moving to?
  4. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    I should add some more. I don't wish to dissuade you, but don't underestimate the cost of Customs brokerage at both ends of this transaction. As your motorcycles are neither rare nor particularly expensive, I would imagine the cost of importing them will be significantly more than the loss you'll take on selling and re-purchasing locally.

In terms of registration, SA Transport has a reasonably indicative guide here: http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transp...ds+and+modifications/Importing+motor+vehicles

In simple terms, you need to:
    1. Apply for an exemption from displaying a compliance plate (pay a fee)
    2. Prove to the satisfaction of an engineer it has been converted to 'right hand drive' (pay a fee)
    3. Have a vehicle identity inspection to confirm VIN (pay a fee)
    4. Have a roadworthiness inspection (pay a fee)
    5. Apply for registration (pay a fee).

Some States have no Step 1, therefore the process stops there.

If you are in Canada on military or diplomatic service, different rules may apply (e.g. a Status of Forces Agreement or diplomatic treaty).
  5. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    +1 in what Raider said.. with no Oz compliance plate you will have problems.... Forever..

Sell em and move on.........

6. Harko

Harko n00b

Oddometer:
    Toronto, Canada (nothing but straight roads)
    Thanks Raider, Gone again,

We are moving to Queensland. I understand we can get compliance plates there but will have a closer look. I am currently going through the import approval process.

While it is very costly to take the bikes given all the fees, I did some sums and selling and buying again still works out more expensive. To be fair, I would most likely buy new again but then again a couple of the bikes are only two years old and only have 11,000 kms on them. The BMWs seemed to have depreciated significantly taking into account on road costs, taxes, there is quite a change over cost.

I'll need to look closer at the light issue. I assume that can be adjusted right?

Cheers
    Harko