WhaDaHala DS Rally at the Cabins September 7 - 9, 2012

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by JoeWannaB, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well after lots of waffling back and forth on dates, I've finally locked it down. This will be just like rallies in the past with Friday being the rougher day and Saturday having our cookout on the deck of the Nantahala House. I will update this first page with info as it becomes available. Several people have expressed interest in a shirt so we're doing shirts this time. Details are below.

Lodging

I've booked out the cabins so you will not be able to reserve a cabin online. Intead, call or PM me to reserve a cabin and I'll make it happen. I'll keep updated cabin availability info below so you can see what's left. You can see pictures of the cabins here so you'll know what you're getting. I am offering special pricing but I am uncomfortable posting that here so I've started a thread in the vendor section of ADVrider here with the special pricing for this event. Tent spots are $10 per spot for the whole weekend. This will give you access to the bathhouse.

FEES

This is a free event. It does not cost you anything to show up and ride with us.
    With that said, if you want a cabin or to camp, there is of course a cost associated with that which is posted above. This year, because of popular demand, I am going to offer shirts and of course there are costs to printing shirts. The base "In Fee" is $25. This will get you a customized event shirt with your ADV handle printed on the back plus supper on Saturday night. The shirts will be printed on Haynes Beefy T's which are 100% pre-shrunken cotton. This is a good quality shirt that should last you a while. Extra shirts will be $15 ea. I will also print up a few generic shirts with ADV on the back instead of the user name for those who haven't joined the asylum yet. Some members have names too long to be printed in their entirety. easy_dualsport is an example. In that case, the name will be shortened to easy_DS. I will let you know if this is necessary when you order your shirt. PM me with your shirt orders and I'll send you instructions on how to handle payment. All shirt orders must be in by August 10th to guarantee the custom printing so get those orders to me ASAP.

[​IMG]

Here are some links to past events:

Spring Fling 2012 Pics start on p. 9
    Fall Fire Ball 2011 Pics start on p. 15
    Spring Fling 2011 Pics start on p. 9

Post up if you're in. Just for giggles, throw up your Tee shirt size so I can get a feel for quantity and sizes.

Finally, be sure to check back frequently as I will update this first post as things gel a little better.

Schedule of Events

Thursday
    Early Bird Campfire - Whitebread, AKA Andrew, will host a campfire at his cabin at the bottom of the hill Thursday night. He will also help facilitate trailer parking and campsite assignments. Thank You Whitebread!

Friday
    8am – 9am - Coffee in the Big House
    Joe will have a pot of coffee brewing up in the big house.
    9:30am - Gather for the day’s ride. We will meet in front of the entrance sign.
    10am - Kickstands up
    10:01am - ? Woot!!!!
    7ish pm - Open Grill Potluck at the big house.
    BOIKE333, AKA Matt, has graciously offered to bring some meat to grill and has invited you all to join him at the big house for a very informal open grill meal. Bring a side to share and a beverage of choice. Bring enough for yourself and a little bit to share so there’ll be plenty to go around. I told Matt to set out a donations can to help him cover the cost of the meat. Contact Matt if you have any questions as I’ll be away filming our Maroon Devils beat Robbinsville for our local cable TV channel so Matt is in charge.

Saturday
    8am – 9am – More coffee in the big house. Bring your bagels and microwavable breakfasts if you like.
    9:30 am - Gather for the day’s ride. We will meet again at the entrance sign. Group Photos. Bring your cameras!
    10 am – Kickstands up
    7:30 - Supper. Meet back on the deck of the Nantahala House for supper.

Sunday
    Optional Ride. Folks are talking about heading to Wayehutta to ride.

Monday
    Late Comers Ride (NEW) Some folks are coming in late so I have agreed to lead a ride for this small, dedicated group of slackers who don’t have real jobs. We need to meet at the cabin office at 9:30 and head out by 10am because I have to be in Sylva by 3pm to pick up my daughter so we’ll be heading that way on Monday. I’m thinking Frye Mountain.

Cabins Still Available

All Cabins Are Booked. Post up if you would like to share a cabin. Many riders have extra beds they are willing to sublet.

4 Tent Camping Spots $10 per tent

Tent Campers
    Our very own _anatic, AKA Shane, has offered to help coordinate camp spots. He will be there Thursday afternoon to set up. Please follow his lead when setting up your tents and parking bikes and trailers. Tent sites are pretty much first come, first serve. I have a few alternate sites other than the main site to handle overflow.

IMPORTANT INFO!

Trailers and other bike hauling vehicles:
    Please contact me in advance if you are not riding in. We need to coordinate where to park trailers and towing vehicles so they are not in the way during the weekend. Plan on unloading trailers at the bottom of the hill in the Chattooga cabin’s driveway. This is Whitebread’s cabin and he has offered to help coordinate trailer unloading and parking. Trailers will be parked in the grassy area across from the entrance sign. Small trailers are preferable as they stack more easily and can be moved by hand. A few tow vehicles can be parked at the top with the rest finding parking near the bottom or in the pulloffs to the right of the steep drive. Again. Please let me know if you are trailering your bike.

Lunches during rides READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT
    We will not be stopping at any established restaurants during our daily rides. It usually takes too much time out of our day to have a restaurant seat and feed such a large group. Instead, plan on packing a lunch you can carry with you. There is a very good chance we will be stopping at Thunder Mtn to refuel and Mark does sell sandwiches and drinks but I would at least have some snacks as a back up.

Bring plenty of water! A camelback type water container is highly recommended. Bring a camera! I want lots of pictures and video too. Remember, no pictures and it didn’t happen.

Who's In

JoeWannaB Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Lostmarbles Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Grandpa Ken Shirt, Dinner & Camp

RevBill 2 Shirts, Dinner & Cabin

Whitebread 117 Shirt, Dinner and Cabin

wingam00 Shirt & Dinner

Handlebar 2 Shirts & Dinner

_anatic Shirt, Dinner & Camp

Lonewolf97 Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

BARIDER Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Rabbot Camp (Maybe)

crpntr Shirt & Dinner

litre_loura Shirt & Dinner

easy_dualsport Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Flashback Shirt & Dinner (Maybe)

Sinnamon Shirt & Dinner (Maybe)

BigWrench Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Mrs. B W Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Boike333 Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

StolenFant Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

rmarkr Shirt & Dinner

HeadedNW Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

Boondonkey Shirt, Dinner & Cabin

squirrelygrl Shirt, Dinner & Camp

sturnbow Shirt & Dinner

tober

SidewinderX +1 Maybe

Cuttle Very Likely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. grandpa_ken

grandpa_ken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. I'm in. I need one tent site. Shirt size large. Waiting on further details.
    Thanks.
  3. lostmarbles

lostmarbles Long timer

Oddometer:
    you know i'm in:evil
  4. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    In .. I'll swap up the dates when I get into work ..

2xl shirt ..
    .. one of the cabins at the top of the hill will be just fine ..

.. thanks Joe ..
  5. JoeWannaB

Oddometer:
    I updated the who's riding and the cabin availability list. They're goin' quick.

Wow. Awesome to see you guys jumping in so quickly. I think this will be the best one yet. I'm really looking forward to it. I've got some scouting to do. :lol3
  6. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM'd regarding cabin, IN for sure.

Volunteering for a leader-of-the-lost, follower-of-the-fast, or sweeper of the slow :rofl
    Doing my best to get my KC compatriot back out here, but regardless I'll be there rain or shine.
    In for a T-shirt, have a friend/coworker who is a graphic artist who might do up a design in trade for beer if you need some input from that area.

New battery, perhaps some knobbies, then it's on:evil Looking forward to it fellas

Edit - T-shirt size large unless you're getting the hipster/emo "athletic" fit, in which case Xl at least:rofl
  7. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. lol .. if you need a sweep I promise I'll behave better than I did last time .. lol ..

.. and if you thought my helmet was easy to spot, wait'll you see the new jacket .. heh heh ..
  8. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. wingam00

wingam00 Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer:
    Well of course I am IN!!!!!! :clap

Got bash plate installed so ready for the rocks.
  10. handlebar

handlebar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there! I'd like to get two 2x tee shirts.
  11. wingam00

Oddometer:
    Forgot :huh about the Tee size and that would be a XL.
  12. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    IN!!

XL shirt but I got a good spot for 2 or 3 stickers.

An one tent spot please.
  13. JoeWannaB

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Here's a tease on the T-shirt design. Let me know what you think. Joe

[​IMG]
  14. wingam00

Oddometer:
    May want to add NC for the state or Western NC so some will have clue where it is in this big country of ours.

Is that a picture of RevBill from the last ride?
  15. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    x2 on location. Also if you drop the design to one or two colors it'll be much cheaper to have made.

Can't be Bill - missing the hi-viz helmet :rofl
  16. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. one tee shirt size XL, crashproof mine please. I'll let you know how many " Dirt Hogs " I can round up.
    Can't wait. Rev Bill. paint your bike to match your helment we lost you a couple of times last trip.:rofl
  17. wingam00

Oddometer:
  18. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Count me in plus 2! Room to park a small camper?
  19. JoeWannaB

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM.

We really can't accommodate campers but there is a campground less than a 1/2 mile away which will allow small campers though they don't have any hookups. Here's a link to their info. It is run by an old retired lady. I've only spoken to her once so I can't comment on how she is to deal with. If you want electric hookup, Turkey Creek Campground is about 12 minutes away. Here's their info.

What T-shirt size???
  20. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    IN,:deal

I'll take the Ocoee if it's still available:evil:1drink