Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Good point - I forgot to mention I also leave the Basemap enabled in all the map profiles. There is a consensus that disabling the Basemap or deleting it from the gps will slow the gps. The Basemap also includes the DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data.
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll make changes to the profiles that I use to have the fewest reasonable number of mapsets enabled per profile.

In the case of my 24K topo profile, I'm going to leave all of the 24K maps enabled, as none of them overlap. Make sense?
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No problem at all, leaving all the 24k maps enabled.
  4. esp41

esp41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting enough, his non factory installed CNNA shows in Basecamp.

None the less, I did the JavaWa thing on my GPS and it works great. Maps from my GPS are now showing.

Thank You
  5. esp41

esp41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to try to use a roll chart for the 1st time. My factory (Husky 610) speedo cluster is very primitive.

Is there way to have an odometer show on the map screen? Can that odometer easily be reset, or better yet- set to any mileage I need? (good feature if you make a wrong turn and add unwanted mileage to the odo).

Thanks- Mike
  6. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    So... going back to the no routable maps in that area error...

If I take a waypoint that just happens to be the final destination on a route (created by someone else on an unknown version of CNNA) and pick that waypoint as the destination for a "where to?" the gps has no trouble creating a path to it.

If, however, I pull up the route for which that same waypoint is the final destination, I get the no routable maps error.

This happens with topo 24k NE &SE enabled. They are both recently purchased and installed via Garmin tools.

This also happens with a old copy of CNNA in there. I have ordered the newest CNNA & lifetime updates from GPSCity (who were great and helpful, BTW) and will be installing that when it arrives next week and deleting that old one. I will then re-run this test.

Any thoughts? Still sound like bad route data?
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

You need to have the same identical map enabled on the GPSr that was used when creating the route. OR, open the route in BaseCamp, change to direct, then send back to Montana, and use it with any map you like.
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Thanks much, Atlas! :thumb
  9. esp41

esp41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the odometer and trip odometer onto the map by changing from nuvi to "small data fields" . I can reset the trip odometer by exiting the map and using a reset shortcut on the main profile page.

Is a master reset the only way to reset the odometer?

Can I have multiple trip odometers (and reset them individually)?

Is there a way to input a starting milage for a trip odometer?

Thanks

Mike
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    See the answers in your text.
  11. esp41

esp41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Works great. I can even stop and start the track when I need to do a course deviation to get gas or go to a hotel. As long as I don't make any wrong turns, I'm good to go.:evil

Mike
  12. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    I've had a few tracks that show up when the unit is hooked up to Basecamp, but can't be found on the list in Track Manager. It seems pretty random, and deleting and re-installing the tracks on while in Basecamp gets them back on the list.
    I just don't get why they show up on BC from the unit's internal storage, but can't be found on the list.
    Any ideas?
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I would run Javawa Device Manager on that to see if it finds any fault with your files.
  14. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    Great Idea!
    I did the search for corrupt files, but nothing showed up.
    Well, at least it's working right now, after I re-installed it.
  15. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this exact same thing happed to me this week, and I'm still running 4.70. Looking in the internal storage folder, there were dozen or so routes and several waypoint files, and when I deleted them manually and resent them all from BC, there were only 8 routes and one waypoint file.

Some of those had been in there for a year or more.

Seems that manual housecleaning (i.e. with Explorer) every year and resending everything may be the only answer.:baldy
  16. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok, im off in a day or two for my summer, and i have done something to my montana..

when i bought my 650, it had some pre loaded maps, like street maps of north america, but now, its gone.

setup > map > map information select map > my choices are: digit globe, birdseye select erie, birdseye select kompass, usgs quads (all are enabled). but i have nothing for city street maps.

all i see, is my arrow, and blue background....

what map(s) am i missing?

thank you.
    ed
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The 650 has nothing in the way of maps except the Basemap when you buy it unless you add on the City Navigator North America mapset. But I don't see the Basemap listed there. Perhaps you removed it?

Connect your gps to a computer and look at it through Finder or Explorer, and look for this file x:\Garmin\gmapbmap.img
  18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or did the update to 5.10 change some things in the Montana? I noticed on the Nuvi screen that while navigating it doesn't give me the turn arrows in the top left of the screen with the distance to next or the speed limit anymore.
  19. Pine Sol

Oddometer:
    give that man a gold star..... THANK YOU... (im one step closer to getting this thing ready...)

yes, that is what i was missing....

20. Pine Sol

Oddometer:
    wait a minute......

ok, so upon first thought, it looked like all was good, but i went out for a ride, and found that the streets were not there, as seen here... at 500m, i should be able to see everything....
    [​IMG]