The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. nxdirtbag

nxdirtbag Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and it was helpful for me and for others.
  3. Chipperdoo2

Chipperdoo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found a 2003 xr400 in the local area, trying to get over to see it.

Read through this entire thread and it seem that everyone who has, (or had), one loves (d) it.
    Just wondering if this year or any for that matter, had any issues, quirks, etc....I realize it's a Honda, just thought to ask! Thanks!
  4. TonyDanger

TonyDanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are all the same. The later (post 98?) the baffle in the exhaust aren't quite as easy to remove, and the '96 and '97 had different gearing, but all Honda did was bump up a few teeth in the back on later years. Otherwise, I think they are all the same with the exception of color.
  5. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I think there was also a change to the forks in 98. My service manual has procedures for 97 and older and 98 and newer regarding the forks.

from what I have read 98 and up hasn't changed other than color like Tony said

did you buy it yet????
  6. Dazzer

Dazzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    It's just a after market screen that mount's on to the Bar's
    it works a treat on the road section's and come's off in seconds , just losen the 2 wing nut's and slide it out.
  7. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    What are yalls thoughts on an XR400 to race the Baja? My brother is racing in 2009 on a CRF450X... since he has money, and I have my eye on a 400 thats close and cheap... I might try and keep up with big bro.

thoughts?

Edit: And then the bike would become my wife's dualsport.... and my trail bike....
  8. Dazzer

Dazzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XR400's used to be the bike of choise for the Dakar rider's on a budget,
    and engine is almost bulit proof.

Fit a Big Tank and Go for it.

All the Best

Dazzer
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    why not. have precsion concepts do the suspension work.
  10. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before I bought mine, I had a choice between the XR and a KTM 450EXC, both are same 2003 models and selling price. I know that the EXC has more power, better suspension, and a lot of good stuff. More bang for the buck!

It boils down to reliability, simplicity, and parts availability. I have a KTM 640A and everytime I need to replace some maintenance items, I have to wait 3 to 4 days. The XR, I can simply drive a few miles away to the parts store and get my parts outright.
  11. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or should I say "BRRAAAAaaappp!" :clap

I got my XR plated and insured today....she's all street legal! :norton

Finally got a little ride in. It's 20 degrees, windy, and nearly everything is iced up, so I didn't go far, but I was able to play on a few muddy roads. Woohoo! This thing has some torque! It runs really strong. :clap I like the sound of the White Bros. E series exhaust, but I need to find a spark arrestor for it (it's the older style- anyone have sources?).

A few things to work out- it's not set up for me very well. I need to raise the bars, and roll them forward. The PO had the shock preload set alot softer than I like, so a minor adjustment is in order. Also, it's missing the front number plate. Not a big deal, but it's kinda ugly without it.

I stopped for a couple of pics before hitting the dirt road-

note the faster lavender horn. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing is gonna be FUN!!! :ricky

BTW- it's 20 degrees, but following Eurobiker's procedure, she fired up on the second kick. :thumb
  12. Dazzer

Dazzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

If it help's I bought a set of bar risers from this chap

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/bar-riser-main-frameset.htm

they are very well made,and with them being off set,make's a big difference when riding standing on the peg's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    are you talking about rotating the bars upwards? that's easy. do you know what protaper bend you have? that helps. you have SE bars. cr high is the gold standard (60mm sweep is the key!) for xrs. are you larger in that you need to bars more forward to open the cockpit. if so the those forward risers are the key OR do you just need a taller bar? if so here's the charts: http://www.protaper.com/contents/products/handlebars/se.html check out the yamaha mini bend.
    tag makes a cr double hi.
    also a cheap and easy riser only option are the $20 adjustable ones from rocky mtn atv.
    do you ever get questioned about a spark arrestor? forest guys see my tag and wave me on.
    nice horn. i don't have one.
  14. XRsteve

XRsteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hayduke, your bike is nice. I think 1998-99 are the best looking years for XRs.
  15. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    <accent=australian> Heh, those aren't risers. These are risers: </accent>

[​IMG]
  16. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    You need to take codys out with you and get him hooked on the thumpers.
  17. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill,

I'm just used to higher bars and a more roomy cockpit, I guess. I'm very comfortable on my 950 Adventure with 30mm risers. I ordered the Rocky mountain ATV adjustale risers and will give that a try. When I install those, I'll rotate the bars way forward to see if that's enough before buying different bars. I always have to tweek that stuff to suit my riding, so no big deal.

I've never been asked about a spark arrestor, but I'm thinking it'd be good to have in places like Fourmile and the rainbow trail. Also, I was told that it would help make the bike quieter. :dunno

:nod It shouldn't take much. He needs to sell that street bike of his. :deal
  18. Hayduke

Oddometer:
  19. fhammond

fhammond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about doing the Trans-America Trail this summer. Anyone done this on the XR400R? I'm wondering how it'd be. Seems like it'd be perfect for the tougher stuff over the mountains but maybe not as good for the easier east coast sections. I want something cheap and reliable, good enough the the TAT but light weight enough to have fun with it at my local ORV park. I'm thinking a street legal XR400R might be good.

fh
  20. KrAzyOSUcOwBoY

KrAzyOSUcOwBoY kRaZy

Oddometer: