Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. senecahome

senecahome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a bump for Reese. Cards mailed today.

Radioman, I have been following your trip on a regular basis. Thanks so much for taking time to post this RR. You are obviously creating an experience of a lifetime during Chapter 3. Wishing you all the best as the journey continues. And Merry Christmas ! ! !
    -Glen

2. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Mark, congrates on making this leg of your destination. What a trip of a lifetime. I've really enjoyed following you along on your adventures.
    Bummer about your glove and glasses. Any chance they may of fell off while riding down to Ushuaia. Or had you just taken them off to go into customs? Any crows around that may of wondered off with them for their nest :)))))) ?
    I have a pair of brand new riding glasses with different tint lenses that I never use I can sent you for free. There like these if I remember right.

http://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=690&ParentCat=198

Take care and stay safe out there Mark. rj in Walla Walla ,WA
  3. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks RJ,

First, They were gone after we got back from Customs which as less than 8-10 minutes. Gloves were tucked under GPS, No crows around..... Some wind, but I also followed the wind path way out and I know the glasses would have popped out had they fallen and rolled or blown. You kind of go through all the questions not believing that anyone would take them.

Thanks for the offer. I will get something here as shipping costs to here is really expensive!! Really appreciate the kindness!

Mark
  4. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Not having any personal experience with this, but my guess is you've been pretty lucky in this respect during your long trip. (It sucks none the less.) I don't recall you having anything else stolen during your travels, did you Mark? What kind of general precautions have you taken? How have you normally dealt with leaving your bike in town unattended? What has the experience other moto travelers you've met been? I'd be quite worried about stuff being lifted. Eh?
  5. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:
    Congrats on hitting this milestone! :clap It is on my short list of things I NEED to do (and your report isnt helping :lol3)

There is something about making your goals, all the emotions that run thru you. Cant imagine the ones you are experiencing, but hope that they are all welcome.

Be safe.

(you are almost at 1 MILLION views. incredible)
  6. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful trip you have been on and I have followed along from the beginning. Thanks for sharing your experiences, :thumb
    Congrats on the milestone and enjoy Antarctica! :D :clap
  7. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mark:

frequent reader checking in, but infrequent commenter.

I always worry about having my helmet "stolen", as we have helmet laws here, and also in most States of the USA. At least it was only a glove of which you have spares. If your helmet were stolen, and these things always happen at the worst times, then you may not have been able to ride . . .

thank you for taking us along on your Adventure, a trip which I don't think I would be capable of doing myself

bob
  8. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Congrats Mark huge milestone. Thanks for the pic of the guy on the old 500 twin honda what a trip he must have had. I love seeing old bikes used like this. My favorite ride is still my 1980 1100 XS special. I love that old girl and the way she feels. I might have to keep her I think.

Carl
  9. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    WOW ... Good deal .. All good things come to an end...:clap

And I hate that when someone steals stuff off a bike...

I have had things taken off my bike and I know how upsetting that is...
  10. JoDawg

JoDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, Congrats on achieving your goal. Everyone here at the shop wishes you a Merry Christmas and a great and adventure filled New Year. If you meet up with Slowphil give him a big Hello and ask him how his boots are.

Cheers, Jody
  11. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky Congratulations there Marko... :rayof:rilla I am really happy for you. Made it. and I am sorry to hear about the glove and glasses but in the scheme of things and distance traveled... I would think someone may have seen you stuff your sunglasses in the glove and since it was only that glove I would assume it was a snatch-n-go for the sunglasses. Still sorry , but man you made it. :thumbup

So, now a short wait for the cruise south :TB.... :lurk
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Hola Mat. Have not had anything Stolen anywhere along the ride. Been sort of vigilant about making sure nothing was out to take...... At border crossing in Central and south America I took my helmet, gloves, glasses etc with me. While with others One of us watched the bikes, while the other did paperwork.

While Solo, I just took the important stuff with me, and sometimes put my cover on.....

This was the last border crossing and it felt "safe" with no one else really around...... Lesson learned. It feels bad, but stuff happens and I will not let it ruin my experiences here. Just a glove and glasses. No one got hurt and I will make do. perspectives.

But if you see a guy where one left motoport glove Tell him I am missing it :lol3
  13. Motomuffin

Motomuffin CSMC

Oddometer:
    Congrats!
  14. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    So you want everyone to believe it was the one-armed man that did it, eh? I think I've heard that one before! :D
  16. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the border guard looks like this, I bet he did it:

[​IMG]

:evil
  17. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another suspect
    [​IMG]
  18. OkieGman

OkieGman Working Stiff

Oddometer:
    I've been following along since day one. Great to see you meet one of your goals:clap:freaky
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Having been on this trip for 557 Days now, it is time for a bit of reflection as I have reached a big Milestone on this Journey. Indeed it is a destination that I have planned on from the beginning of this adventure. It has been a true blessing and very exciting as I share the last 12 days on the road, and their huge accomplishment riding from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia with Dick and Diana, and Ken!! :clap :clap

It is the "fin del Mundo" (end of the world), but not the end of my trip! But a Milestone I will never forget!

[​IMG]

For those of you following on Spotwalla map, it appears that the SPOT has lost connection with the satellites just south of Rio Grande, Tierra Del Fuego

[​IMG]

Jumping for joy at the end of the world!

[​IMG]

553 days ago was the start. Rode west with ADVrider Camogreg to the most westerly point in the US.

[​IMG]

Then I rode across the US to see the space shuttle Launch summer 2011, and the most southern point in the US

[​IMG]

Then North to the most easterly point in US,

[​IMG]

Then to most Easterly point in North America. Outside St John, New Foundland

[​IMG]

Then back across the United States covering 37 US states and 5 canadian provinces (I have ridden in 49 US states and all the Canadian Provinces on my past rides).

Then through Mexico, and Central America and now through South America to the End of the world with a side trip to Ride in the Himalayas. Including the highest Motorable road in the world at 18,380 feet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In between my travels to ride in India I celebrated my 50th birthday with lovely friends and family

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and had a few Parties to share stories and videos! (thanks Bob you are the very best Host!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met a beautiful woman while lobbying for more help for people and families dealing with Alzheimers Disease. Not sure where this will go in the future, but know that the meeting was a real blessing!

[​IMG]

And my ADV rider friends in Portland!!

[​IMG]

and some of my best friends in the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Through the Middle of the world

[​IMG]

And now an milestone at the end of the world.

[​IMG]

So much I have experienced, and so much I have gained as I have been on this journey. I shared the "destinations" above but know that they are only part of the journey. They are connected together in a way that never really can be explained. But as I have said so many times in this Ride Report, it has been the people I have met and the interactions that I have shared that are the most important part of the journey for me. and Actually everyone that has shared these pages of this Ride Report are important to me. Those that have Posted comments and encouragements, or PM and emailed me along the way, all that have helped me, and gone out of their ways to guide, share and encourage me, All the ADV riders and others who have had me stay in their homes or provided me help along the way and those that have simply read my ride report and enjoyed it! To all Thank You!! :clap :clap

In closing this long post. I would like to just share some of the people that I have ridden with on my ride. If I do not put you in .....The omission is not on purpose or because you were not important, but this thread is long enough and you all have lives to live, and it does not need to be a "war and peace" novel :D

My "guys" in the support group for Alzheimer's that are caring for their wives. What an honor and privilege to know you as you show great love and strength as you to your best to care for your wives :thumb

[​IMG]

Camogreg

[​IMG]

Hells Canyon ADV rider. What a send off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Ladybug. Your the best!

[​IMG]

ADV riders from Portland

[​IMG]

My Niece and her family

[​IMG]

My aunt and uncle

[​IMG]

My nephew Josh and His lovely wife Susan (and baby Eli ...Now over a year old)

[​IMG]

My step Son Jake

[​IMG]

My Brother Bruce

[​IMG]

My Brother Scott and Alison and the kids

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My cousins (Mel and Laurel and Aunt Fran)

[​IMG]

Walt

[​IMG]

Don Weber

[​IMG]

Smilin Jack

[​IMG]

Oregoncoast and his lovely wife

[​IMG]

RTW Paul

[​IMG]

Cuttle and Hunter

[​IMG]

Hutch451 and his brother Pork Butt

[​IMG]

idave and ijulie

[​IMG]

Dcrider

[​IMG]

Pam, Paul and Carsen

[​IMG]

Cstain Craig, Meagan and Ethan (eh)

[​IMG]

Feo y Gordo and Pansy

[​IMG]

Brother in Law Brad, Deb, and Nephew Adam

[​IMG]

Childhood Buddy Tad & Family

[​IMG]

Putz

[​IMG]

Road rash

[​IMG]

Aceralph

[​IMG]

Mr Cob

[​IMG]

Johny Dakar

[​IMG]

His better Half

[​IMG]

NOPO

[​IMG]

wetfest 2011

[​IMG]

Eric

[​IMG]

Ramona and Krista

[​IMG]

Miss Shrader 4th grade class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Icecreamsoldier

[​IMG]

Nixel

[​IMG]

IdahoSam

[​IMG]

Skip and Cathy (Idaho Sam)

[​IMG]

Sherri Jo

[​IMG]

Young James

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conor

[​IMG]

Anne

[​IMG]

Hector

[​IMG]

Diana who did the Galapagos Islands with me

[​IMG]

Guido

[​IMG]

Court Rand

[​IMG]

Chanderjeet and his little Sofia

[​IMG]

MoBill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guaterider (Julio and Luisa)

[​IMG]

Larry

[​IMG]

Mike and Jill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mathias (Hund)

[​IMG]

Jordan and Anne

[​IMG]

Dick and Diana and Ken.

[​IMG]

WOW. Once I started reviewing photo from the last 553 days, it gets overwhelming .... I feel like I was presenting at the Academy Awards and I missed something in my big speech.... If I did not mention you by name or put your photo on the RR, forgive me. I have the memories in my mind and in my heart!! Thanks for understanding!

The reason for the long post is that I am grateful for this journey much more than the destination. The people I have connected with, through the ride are amazing. To me this is the real beauty of my journey and had made this experience such a rich one for me. I cannot explain in words that emotions that I feel as I look back over this ride. Gratitude is the one that seems to stand out to me! We have met as "strangers" but are now friends!!

:ricky :deal equals "priceless" in my life. Thanks for following along!

And just a few stats on the trip so far.....

22,500 miles on my 1150 GS in 37 states and 5 provinces

23,100 on 800GS 14 coutries

3500 on Enfield in India

48,500 Miles total since June 2011 (78,053km Kilometers)

7 rear tires

1 Flat tire

1 missing glove and a pair of sunglasses :cry

2 crashes with little to no injury to me :happay
    (But the bike sustained one hole is side case and blown from tire, one bent fork tube)

More smiles and great experiences than I can imagine! and I still have plenty of journey left to go.
    CaseyB likes this.
  20. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just awesome! Thanks for taking the time to take us all along on your incredible journey. Well done. :freaky